Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2024, 06:26 PM

OT - Hiking shoes

Since 2017, I've had a pair of Hoka Tor Mid WP hiking shoes (yes, before they became all the rage). They're starting to show their age and, of course, they no longer make those. They are the most comfortable hiking shoes I've ever worn. I hiked all over yellowstone and the grand tetons with them, as well as all over the appalachian trail.

Hoka makes a high version, but they only have them in eggplant. I am NOT wearing shoes made for McDonald's Grimace or Barney the Dinosaur. There's also a Tor Tech Mid.

Anyone have any experience w/ the tech mid or any suggestions/comparables?

Thx

I tried their Kaha GTX shoes and well, they suck ass.

Last edited by mdeth1313; 03-03-2024 at 09:02 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:44 PM
n - 1

Few Keens I’ve tried a few years ago were surprisingly good.

But all I wear now are trail runners. Had Hoka Speedgoats for a long time then switched to Nike Zegama’s with the built in gaiters. I don’t see myself going back to hikers.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:54 PM

I’ve been told by many that unless your going off the trail the best shoe to use for hiking on trails is a trail running shoe. I have one set of Merrell’s which they are falling apart and not very well constructed.. The shoes I found that have the great life and are very comfortable Adidas Terrex. I had one pair that lasted for several years and have been to several countries and have a new pair waiting in my closet for when I get home from California.

Bought my Adidas thru Sierra.com. Very inexpensive.
Old 03-02-2024, 06:56 PM

I currently have altra Olympus 5 and am really liking their firm but dampened feel with excellent vibram sole.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:08 PM

I like my Oboz boots. The real bottom line is you need to go to a good outdoor store and have them fit you.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:17 PM

These.

Salomon X4 mid ultra gore-Tex. Light AF and totally waterproof. I’ve been doing a **** ton of hiking this year. Worth every penny.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/p...860&size=26278
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9018.jpeg (12.8 KB, 369 views)
Old 03-02-2024, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post
I like my Oboz boots. The real bottom line is you need to go to a good outdoor store and have them fit you.
I agree. This is one product where you need to go try on a bunch of them.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:21 PM
Back At It!

for me, shoes are kind of like saddles.. just because it works well for someone else, means diddly for me..

having said that, I've tried a number of mid-top hiking boots and nothing beats a pair of Keens.. similar to Lake cycling shoes, they just seem to a bit wider than most others.. and they seem to break in to my foot really well.. I'm actually about to buy a new pair after around 9 yrs..
Old 03-02-2024, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
I’ve been told by many that unless your going off the trail the best shoe to use for hiking on trails is a trail running shoe.
I made that same switch - my current favorites are made by Altra.

They look goofy but they're the most comfortable things I've ever worn with lots of room in the footbox - no problem with 10+ mile days. Downside is cost and they wear quickly.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:29 PM

Am relatively long distance hiker/backpacker Have tried lots of shoes. If you like Tor’s buy a pair of non goretex Speedgoats. They’re the best all around hiking shoe out there imo. Cushy, vibram megagrip outsole, fit is secure from toe to heel, the wide version is actually decently wide, dry quickly, last a relatively long time before the midsole compresses too much.

I’ve used them for hiking and backpacking in SoCal and the Sierra where the ground is very hard but also in the mud and they’re great.

My second favorite shoe is the Topo Terraventure 3 (we’re now on 4 but I’m yet to try them). Superb fit, megagrip sole, wide toe box, secure heel, last seemingly forever… not as much stack height as the Speedgoat though so I tend to use these for shorter hikes or where the ground is softer.

Have used both of these shoes on 50km+ days and they both hold up at that kind of mileage.

Last edited by jkbrwn; 03-02-2024 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the replies. Looking into a few of them, but I need mid to high shoes/boots.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeth1313 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Looking into a few of them, but I need mid to high shoes/boots.
If you liked the hokas, a mid height, and you have an REI near by, these are worth a serious look. I have a ton of trail miles in these now, and they are really good:

https://www.rei.com/product/215482/d...ing-boots-mens
Old 03-02-2024, 07:52 PM

Yea I got sold on the trail runners for a few years but have since gone back to regular hiking boots.

Currently using a pair of Teva mid hiking boots. Surprisingly comfortable and good vibram soles (not what I was expecting from a sandal company) and they look pretty normal too in black/gray. I have wide feet and they have a decent toe box, but not quite as wide as a foot shaped toe box.

In the past I've also had good luck with Oboz, Keen and Vasque... But what worked a few years ago I often find companies manage to change the fit and they aren't quite the same. I've had Salomon and Danners before but even their wide sizes generally have pointed toe boxes that aren't quite wide enough at the forefoot.

And I hear you on colors... Altra, Topo Athletic all make foot shape shoes that actually fit my feet but man they have the ugliest color palettes.

Last edited by lorenbike; 03-02-2024 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
If you liked the hokas, a mid height, and you have an REI near by, these are worth a serious look. I have a ton of trail miles in these now, and they are really good:

https://www.rei.com/product/215482/d...ing-boots-mens
Funny you mention these - I actually tried them out at LL Bean this afternoon but they didn't work for me.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:30 PM

Another vote for salomon here. Mine are an older pair with gore Tex and they are the most comfortable things I’ve ever worn.