Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot View Post
I can't remember when the last time that I wore my Breitling Chronomat from the late 50's early 60's. Back 20 years ago, it was my absolute favorite. When I got married twenty-odd years ago, I wore my Zenith Pacific "el primero", now I can't read the date without glasses.
I had a Chronomat from 1950. Lovely watch. Bought it, sent it out to be refurbished, six months later got it back, wore it twice, then went back to automatic and quartz watches.

Loved the watch, but I couldn't get used to a manual watch. Never had one before. More recently had a series of Seikos and an orange Sumo took over my wrist for a while. For the past four years, since I became a runner, I've been wearing nothing but Garmins. Now a Fenix 5 with an orange NATO band has taken permanent residence on my wrist. I still have the Sumo, and a few other interesting Seikos in a drawer...but the Fenix has taken over...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-05-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I too would suggest starting out with something less expensive.
Yea. That. You won't buy just one. And unlike bikes, you can fit a couple of dozen in a drawer.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 10-05-2018, 09:52 PM
Classics Fan

Curious what you guys think of Nomos. I'm not a huge fan of the bauhaus design, but what they're doing as a company looks interesting.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
holbensfinewatchbands.com

I really like the ColaReb bands from Italy. I need an extra long band, and they offer some good choices.
Thank you!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC. View Post
Where do ya'll buy your leather bands at? I'd love to do business with a local leather worker or what not.
A Di-Modell Chronissimo or Pilot might look good on that watch, if they fit.

Kaufmann are also very good, but are not in Los Angeles (I think only sold through Wempe NYC in the US).

Toshi are good (all handmade, one man) are in UK, ship everywhere, but I'm sure similar makers are in the US. There are many handmade makers, at all levels up from very basic Etsy craftsmen to April in Paris, Camille Fournet, etc. so knowing the budget helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm View Post
holbensfinewatchbands.com

I really like the ColaReb bands from Italy. I need an extra long band, and they offer some good choices.
I have read that Holben's is very good, with a very good selection.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:10 AM

I recently received a Damasko bracelet for my DA 36. What a great piece of engineering; fabulous. It is perfect for the Damasko feeling.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck View Post
Curious what you guys think of Nomos. I'm not a huge fan of the bauhaus design, but what they're doing as a company looks interesting.
The Nomos quality is very good, like all Glashütte makers, but if one is not a real Bauhaus fan there are so many options it might be better to just look at others brands.

Nomos are a very polarizing brand. Some love them, equally many do not. They were very "Bauhaus pure" in the beginnings, but now seem off with a lot of colored pieces/bits. The direction seems unclear. The "Lambda" is really beautiful, very unique and special, but now Nomos seem to be going much more in the "Metro" direction, more cute, sporty, etc. than before.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot View Post
I have been "collecting" watches for a little over 30 years. Buying watches that attracted my attention. Over time, I have noted that a number of watches that were once my absolute favorites have become relegated to my watch box. I think part of the change is linked to my declining eyesight. At any distance beyond about 5 feet, my eyesight remains very good, but anything closer, I really need reading glasses (which I rarely wear apart from when I am working on the computer).

I can't remember when the last time that I wore my Breitling Chronomat from the late 50's early 60's. Back 20 years ago, it was my absolute favorite. When I got married twenty-odd years ago, I wore my Zenith Pacific "el primero", now I can't read the date without glasses.

In their place, I now privilege two watches that have uncluttered light colored dials: a Breitling one-button chronograph (former Royal Canadian Air Force model) and a gold Rolex Date-just.

Sorry for the poor photos
I had an Omega with a silver guilloche dial and silver broad arrow style hands that I stopped wearing entirely for readability reasons. Gave it to my wife, given the convergence of what used to be a normal sized men's watch and what are now considered women's watches. I like to be able to glance at my watch and tell what time it is without staring and without fishing for my reading glasses. I still have a GP dress watch that's readable, but I mostly favor the sport/tool variety with a black dial and easy for aging eyes contrasting hands and markers -- switch between a Fortis and a Hamilton and (please no hate) a darn G-shock (the least readable of the ones I actually use, but it has a light and there are situations where I'd rather have something lightweight, and multi-functioned, that I don't care about at all).
Old 10-06-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
On my list. They're super clean looking. The Tangente Neomatik date complication makes me happy. There will likely be one in my future.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:09 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincopallinobis View Post
Nomos are a very polarizing brand. Some love them, equally many do not. They were very "Bauhaus pure" in the beginnings, but now seem off with a lot of colored pieces/bits. The direction seems unclear. The "Lambda" is really beautiful, very unique and special, but now Nomos seem to be going much more in the "Metro" direction, more cute, sporty, etc. than before.
I just find it funny they went that way, given they are so close to A. Lange & Sohne, that they could have learned something from the masters. To me, the 1815 up/down is the best looking watch ever.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I just find it funny they went that way, given they are so close to A. Lange & Sohne, that they could have learned something from the masters. To me, the 1815 up/down is the best looking watch ever.
Close in philosophy to ALS, etc., but not really in market niches. The "Lambda" approaches ALS exclusivity, but in general the Nomos market is very different from ALS, etc.

The ALS/GO/etc cousin market is fairly crowded as is, and perhaps Nomos is now skewing towards a younger, more "sporty" demographic, with the "Clubs", "Metros", etc. I am not sure what other reason there could be for the apparent shift in philosophy, although to be fair Nomos has never been staid-traditional really.

In any case I find the more colorful Nomos models unconvincing and too frilly for what I thought the brand was representing, almost "Swatchy" in a way. Who knows if this move will be permanent either; now, they even have Stowa et al starting to compete with them in that segment.

The ALS 1815 Auf/Ab is very beautiful indeed. From German houses I also like Stowa, Dornblüth, Hentschel, Lang und Heyne Dresden (especially the Heinrich, with the very elegant integration of the complications).
Old 10-06-2018, 07:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Anyone care to recommend a reliable double winder?

I have a few Wolfs, that have been great, but the last time I needed another one (less than a year ago) I decided to try to a Brookstone double, which has now died. I could go with another Wolf, but would rather not have to spend the $500+ it would cost. Given that the Brookstones are apparently junk, I'm not going to get another one of those.

TIA
Old 10-07-2018, 01:41 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Anyone care to recommend a reliable double winder?

I have a few Wolfs, that have been great, but the last time I needed another one (less than a year ago) I decided to try to a Brookstone double, which has now died. I could go with another Wolf, but would rather not have to spend the $500+ it would cost. Given that the Brookstones are apparently junk, I'm not going to get another one of those.

TIA
I can't speak to the longevity but I purchased one about 4 months ago and so far I've been impressed with it. It has several settings and is very quiet - I can barely hear it run when sitting 6 feet away in a room with no other noise. I liked it enough that I purchased a second.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Versa-Autom...l/221451260584
Old 10-07-2018, 01:43 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Quote:
I like Nomos....you get a lot of watch for the money.

Old 10-07-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I like certain things about the 1815 up/down but it is too small for my tastes, the outer rim of the case is too thick and I prefer stainless to white gold. Would not consider yellow gold.

I prefer the Dornblueth 99.1. A beautiful watch from a company that only has about 9 employees.

Jeff

Tags
braceline, man bracelet