Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 06:02 PM

OT: Watch Talk

I have been pondering stepping up to a new watch. I currently wear a Sunnto Core and I am the type of person that never takes his watch off ever... I was wondering since there are many aficionados here looking for an Automatic so Im leaning between an Omega seamaster or a Tudor. and because Im a Baller on a Budget it will most likely be "New to ME"
your vast knowledge and input is appreciated.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:51 PM

Omega v Tudor

I own a few Omegas, the new coaxial movement is very good and very accurate. I own a Tudor Backbay and a Rolex President, personally the accuracy of both the Tudor and Rolex sucks, but I have friends who have had the opposite experience.

You likely could get a Ball for about the same money as the Omega, the Tudor is an entry level Rolex so deals are harder to come by.

You are moving from a Suunto (Tool watch) to a real wristwatch so are you sure you don’t want something with more features.

You won’t make a mistake with either piece, I prefer Omega but there is a large Tudor/Rolex following.

Best

Ray
Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 PM

Don't overlook the Grand Seiko line, or even the Seiko Sumo.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 PM

IM retired military and truly do not use all the features. i just like sturdy watches that last. but alas its time to grow up and put my big boy pants on so i figured i good second hand watch that looks good and last and Im not that found of Rolex' even though I know they own Tudor.

Last edited by dsimon; 07-20-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 PM

A Tissot Visodate is always a good option. Dressy, sporty, whatever.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:07 PM

Not sure exactly what styles you dig on, but ive had my eye on this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamilton-La...450d%7Ciid%3A1
Old 07-20-2018, 07:27 PM

Seiko Diver. Done.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:17 PM

Go to a trusted local dealer and look for a pre-owned Rolex. Many models from which to choose, any model will hold its value more than other brands.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:23 PM

The watches subreddit (/r/watches) is actually a great wealth of information and some guides.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:48 AM

Own many watches, omega, seiko marinemaster Sinn etc. bought first Rolex last weekend black submariner
By far the most accurate of all, 1 sec per day fast, build quality is superb, bezel action amazing,lifetime watch and worth every penny
Old 07-21-2018, 07:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner View Post
IM retired military and truly do not use all the features. i just like sturdy watches that last. but alas its time to grow up and put my big boy pants on so i figured i good second hand watch that looks good and last and Im not that found of Rolex' even though I know they own Tudor.
Thanks for your service.
Why I bought a Rolex GMT Master in 1978...$650...
Rolex GMT, Submariner..hard to beat..

BTW-Mine is very accurate..

For Kingfisher right above..Huzzah!!!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:14 AM
Administrator

well,

first off, coming from a Suunto daily wear watch, the first thing you're likely to really notice is the weight of the watch and bracelet if you wind up getting a stainless diver on a bracelet, generally speaking, they are pretty heavy, compared to a composite case watch with a rubber band like the suunto. if you really plan on never taking it off, as in - riding with it, you may want to consider getting a rubber strap for the watch or a nato or something like that.

also, if you really do wear the watch 24/7, in the shower, etc - you definitely want a real dive watch that has a screw in crown and a solid depth rating.

there are a lot of good micro brands out there now making solid dive watches with robust, proven movements, that can cost a lot less than the big boys.

the seamaster is an iconically good watch, but the prices have really crept up in the last bunch of years, but i agree that co-axial movement is excellent.

i'm a big rolex fan too, they are excellently made tool watches that stand up to abuse and can always be rebuilt/repaired, but again, the prices have gone through the roof. if you are looking on the used market, you have to be very careful to know what you're getting.

ball, sinn, hamilton, oris, even steinhart - all good alternative solid dive watches. tons more really, all depends on what look you're after.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:21 AM

dude...welcome to the club...tread carefully, grasshopper, as N+1 can quickly get out of hand in this milieu.

fwiw...unless you're hell-bent on spending a $1-$2K on a pre-owned omega or tudor, i suggest considering other more economical brands. seriously.

i've spent so much on more expensive brands like rolex and the like...and over time gifted or sold them all. unless there's something special about a particular "expensive" watch or brand that calls you, the enjoyment is still there if you're on a budget -- seiko, citizen, hamilton, tissot, numerous micro-brands, the list goes on -- great watches for comfortably under $500. plus it's a low-risk way to learn what your taste in mechanical watches *really* is without tying alot of cash up before you know yourself.

as ultra said, "Seiko Diver. Done." holds very true for many. since you're retired military, there are lots of robust and low-cost vintage milwatches and "tributes" that might pique your interest (this is an area i delve). since you want a simple and robust daily wear watch, a 3-hand diver is probably your best move. and then maybe a somewhat nicer watch for when you're out for dinner or some nicer occasion if that's part of your routine. see...N+1 is already happening and you havent even taken your first step yet!

here's a great resource to browse multiple channels of web-forums marketplaces in one shot: http://www.mywatchmart.com/ -- PM me offline if you want to chat more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiowner View Post
I have been pondering stepping up to a new watch. I currently wear a Sunnto Core and I am the type of person that never takes his watch off ever... I was wondering since there are many aficionados here looking for an Automatic so Im leaning between an Omega seamaster or a Tudor. and because Im a Baller on a Budget it will most likely be "New to ME"
your vast knowledge and input is appreciated.

Last edited by wallymann; 07-21-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:34 AM

That Hamilton is pretty!
Old 07-21-2018, 08:42 AM

You guys are pretty good at this stuff.

Well done group.

Not much more to add. Although, I would second the high line Seiko stuff. Marine Masters are tough to beat. In fact Mr.James Dowling wears one! And his nickname is Mr Rolex, and a moderator of a big Rolex forum as well as author of a good book about the history of Rolex. Don’t kid yourself Jeff Hess did not do much in this book.

Tags
braceline, man bracelet