Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
You guys are being dicks. Leave the dude alone. Who cares what he looks like or if he is a hipster or not. Yall better than this I thought
I’d rather ride with Al and argue about steel versus carbon than ride with 75% of the roadie jerks I normally ride with. The local critical mass ride is full of folks like Al and it’s the most fun you can have on a bike.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Cyclists love to eat their own. Never mind he's getting exactly the reaction he said he wanted to provoke in the "squares." So it's a great square detector.
So true, I mean he is being provocative with, "get as weird as I want without probably having to answer for it. Plus I can freak out the squares…. or just randomly show up to bike events and hand out mushroom pills and it is normal…”, then he flashed his butt cheeks for the camera. So yeah, we can pick on him for that
Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CunegoFan View Post
Jeebus! It's like he was frozen in 1991, unthawed ,and is back to promote FUD about carbon forks, something that was settled twenty years ago. Do his customers actually buy this crap or is he so out of touch he is not even aware his would-be buyers are rolling their eyes?
Yup, Grant has been doing this for years and will continue to do so as he truly believes that carbon is the worst material for a bicycle frame and fork. But while his frames are still made with steel, he has gotten away from his original offering of lugged steel frames. Today, many of his frames appear to be TIG-welded in Taiwan, but I guess that's a sign of the costs of things as lugged steel frames are becoming more and more expensive, even if made in Taiwan.

Just be glad he isn't pleading for help and asking for "donations." He does that every few years too and well, his following is so strong that the last time he raised over $225,000....it's good to be the king!

Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post

Just be glad he isn't pleading for help and asking for "donations." He does that every few years too and well, his following is so strong that the last time he raised over $225,000....it's good to be the king!

Good Luck!

That is just wrong. He asked for people to buy stuff.... he did not ask for donations.
For every anti carbon rant there is a dozen ideas Grant came up w/ and are mainstream now: gravel bikes, fatter road tires, 650B wheels not to mention selling Nitto, Brooks and custom steel when very few people were onto it. He was into MUSA way before everyone who jokes about him and now collect custom made steel bikes.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
So true, I mean he is being provocative with, "get as weird as I want without probably having to answer for it. Plus I can freak out the squares…. or just randomly show up to bike events and hand out mushroom pills and it is normal…”, then he flashed his butt cheeks for the camera. So yeah, we can pick on him for that
Exactly.

Not to mention wandering around handing out drugs to people you don’t know is creepy and irresponsible, and this is coming from someone that has done mushrooms as well as lots of other things. I’m not saying mushrooms will hurt you because it’s not like you can OD on them but you can definitely have a bad trip / bad time or crash your bike because you’re tripping balls, especially if it’s something you haven’t tried before or don’t have the right people around you. So don’t get all self righteous defending this guy when he’s going around handing out psychoactive substances like a high-ass hipster Willy wonka, and don’t expect people that try to take care of their bodies to be impressed by a fat man in daisy dukes. I’m not saying he’s a bad person but I don’t understand why everyone is rushing to defend him and saying cyclists eat their own, maybe some of the comments could be considered rude in isolation but when you put yourself out there like that on a supposedly cycling website in this day and age it’s naive to expect everyone to receive you positively and keep their comments to themselves.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
That is just wrong. He asked for people to buy stuff.... he did not ask for donations.
No, he actually asked people to buy gift certificates not stuff. There's a difference. For one, if you sell gift certificates you don't actually have to have the stuff in stock. Two, you can count on many people never planning to cash out their credit effectively making it a donation.

Here is the text from the original email:

Thirty-thousand of you received this email. If past email updates are any indication, fifteen thousand didn’t open it (there are ways of tracking this).

Thanks for opening it, reading this far, and there’s one more hurdle:

We hope two-thirds of you will buy a $10 store credit. And there’s a bonus: A new printed frame and bike catalog will be at the printer by the end of March (it’s too late to pull out now). We’ll print one for every $10 credit sold, plus 250 extras, and we’ll send it with the first order you place after April. Of course we’ll put it online too, so the information will be available to you regardless, but it seems right to offer a paper catalog option for our analog bikes.

Will you, before Monday, buy a $10 credit toward a future purchase and a paper catalog? Here’s a link to make it easy. Just add the "Hail Mary" to your cart. You'll receive a code you can use immediately. Onward ho?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:28 PM

I need to go buy that fire axe.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:33 PM

Do they actually have axes in stock?

Last time I looked there were so many items out of stock.

And it looks like they don't event stock Sugino cranks any longer. I recall the copy for the XD2 stated something alongs the lines that it was the best crank so "buy two".

Their "Silver" branded crankset doesn't have the same curb appeal.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
No, he actually asked people to buy gift certificates not stuff. There's a difference. For one, if you sell gift certificates you don't actually have to have the stuff in stock. Two, you can count on many people never planning to cash out their credit effectively making it a donation.

Here is the text from the original email:

Thirty-thousand of you received this email. If past email updates are any indication, fifteen thousand didn’t open it (there are ways of tracking this).

Thanks for opening it, reading this far, and there’s one more hurdle:

We hope two-thirds of you will buy a $10 store credit. And there’s a bonus: A new printed frame and bike catalog will be at the printer by the end of March (it’s too late to pull out now). We’ll print one for every $10 credit sold, plus 250 extras, and we’ll send it with the first order you place after April. Of course we’ll put it online too, so the information will be available to you regardless, but it seems right to offer a paper catalog option for our analog bikes.

Will you, before Monday, buy a $10 credit toward a future purchase and a paper catalog? Here’s a link to make it easy. Just add the "Hail Mary" to your cart. You'll receive a code you can use immediately. Onward ho?
A gift certificate means they owe you merchandize. It´s not donation.
Every time i read mockery about Grant on a Forum where everybody is buying a gravel bike and pukes at the mention of a 700x23 tire i feel a little sorry about people in general; we just don´t deserve what we have.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunner View Post
Do they actually have axes in stock?

Last time I looked there were so many items out of stock.

And it looks like they don't event stock Sugino cranks any longer. I recall the copy for the XD2 stated something alongs the lines that it was the best crank so "buy two".

Their "Silver" branded crankset doesn't have the same curb appeal.
The 20 inch axe is in stock. As is the Spanish canteen.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Every time i read mockery about Grant on a Forum where everybody is buying a gravel bike and pukes at the mention of a 700x23 tire i feel a little sorry about people in general; we just don´t deserve what we have.
I heard Grant invented the internet too.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
I heard Grant invented the internet too.
Still playing that joke? ... you shouldn´t listen to malevolent BS about one of the few relevant trendsetters in cycling but then i should not be giving you advice either., Time to ride.

Last edited by colker; 08-09-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
You guys are being dicks. Leave the dude alone. Who cares what he looks like or if he is a hipster or not. Yall better than this I thought
for petes sake lighten up already

Last edited by dancinkozmo; 08-09-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Exactly.

Not to mention wandering around handing out drugs to people you don’t know is creepy and irresponsible, and this is coming from someone that has done mushrooms as well as lots of other things. I’m not saying mushrooms will hurt you because it’s not like you can OD on them but you can definitely have a bad trip / bad time or crash your bike because you’re tripping balls, especially if it’s something you haven’t tried before or don’t have the right people around you. So don’t get all self righteous defending this guy when he’s going around handing out psychoactive substances like a high-ass hipster Willy wonka, and don’t expect people that try to take care of their bodies to be impressed by a fat man in daisy dukes. I’m not saying he’s a bad person but I don’t understand why everyone is rushing to defend him and saying cyclists eat their own, maybe some of the comments could be considered rude in isolation but when you put yourself out there like that on a supposedly cycling website in this day and age it’s naive to expect everyone to receive you positively and keep their comments to themselves.
I didn't get the impression he was handing them out willy-nilly without anyone's consent did you?
Old 08-09-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Colker, I like your truth-telling style.
Closed Thread