Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2019, 08:41 AM
Certified Campy Snob

Had this exact injury about 15 years ago. Was in hospital for three days, had to get a catheter, was in really bad pain. First a wheelchair to scoot about in my house, then crutches -- all-in-all about six weeks. PT for a month or so. Borrowed a recumbent and started first on that. Gained weight, lost strength, but it came back. Took massive amounts of Advil which can't be good. Was very skittish on bike for awhile. All in all a nasty experience, but it will pass!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:13 AM

Very sorry to hear. Each break/fracture is different. I broke my pelvis in a fall off the bike and was unable to walk without support for over 6 months. Contrarily, my son got a fractured pelvis in a auto accident and was told to use crutches, but never felt the need and so didn't. Walked same day, with a little Advil.
Hope your experience is closer to my son's.

Andy in Houston
Old 07-31-2019, 04:24 PM

I shattered mine with an acetabulum crack too... It was a real splat. (Everything stayed in place but fractured throughout... The CT scan was like a spiderweb)

Took about a week on the couch... Then I started hobbling on crutches for a week and did mobility exercises and band work to strengthen it. I rode my trainer after two weeks when I could not really walk without crutches and by three weeks I was walking unassisted. I started walking without crutches in hallways so I could use the wall if I needed it.

The most important thing to do is to work on mobility. You're going to learn how your injury is progressing and where the issues are if you work to establish full rotatinal mobility and strengthen with resistance bands the weak parts in the rotation.

One of the hardest things to do was ride again... But I did... And race too, but I decided to give up road racing (CX and mtb only now) after it since the accident occurred due to scared riders making terrible choices in a bunch...

You're going to be fine... It just takes time... Intention... Effort... Patience... And listening to your body. It's hard to determine when your recovery efforts are crossing the line (wrong kind of pain)... Just trust yourself, you'll know what you need in recovery.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:56 PM

Friends: I can’t express thanks enough for how much I appreciate all your excellent advice. Good news: as of yesterday I am completely off opiate pain meds (they’ve been giving me morphine). I got through today just fine. When I sit on the edge of the bed I almost feel normal. It’s when I put any weight on the left leg that it completely buckles and hurts tremendously. With crutches I can already make little excursions down the hall of the hospital. I’m making a point of doing that a few times a day to stay sane as well as to build a little strength.

This has been a humbling yet meaningful experience. You really learn to be grateful for the small things. It’s so ironic, just two days prior I rode the stage 18 route (Cormet de Roselend, Val Thorens, etc) and was all “woe is me” afterwards because I wasn’t feeling very strong and suffered a bunch. I look back and think that person was a spoiled little brat :-)
Old 07-31-2019, 05:04 PM

One other thing to say: the days of descending at race speeds, super tucks, etc are over for me. I simply have way too much on the line, primarily a wife and kids who depend on me. So from that perspective, bombing a descent at 55 mph to try to get a gap, or even dumber during a training ride, is pretty d@mn selfish of me. More gravel and mtb is in my future.
Old 05-23-2023, 11:33 AM

reviving thread

Wayne,

How was your recovery, back to 100%?
I fractured my acetabulum a week ago and am recovering now. I had surgery to put everything back together. I've been told no weight bearing on my bad side for six weeks. I'm getting around with a walker pretty well in the house but will need a wheelchair for longer excursions. Fortunately I don't feel pain. I had some oxycodone before PT in the hospital but haven't had a need for it since. The constipation was bad but things are regular now.

I agree that taking the risks racing down a descent are not fair to the family (three young kids). My spouse has really stepped up and is managing things well but still it's not fair to him.

My accident was most likely self inflicted. A new bike (Marcelo) that I built up with carbon wheels and thin tubes. I had sixty miles on it before the front tire blew going around a curve on a downhill. I think the tube must have been pinched and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, I hope you have made a full recovery.
Mark
Old 05-23-2023, 12:24 PM

Thanks for your thoughts and best wishes for a full recovery…sorry to hear about your accident.

I did fully recover. If I recall correctly, I was able to get back on the trainer for very light spinning, no more than 15-20 minutes after about 2 months. I was back to being able to ride outside and put in full efforts after 4 months. I’d say it was about 5-6 months until I felt like I was back to 100%.

Not sure what kind of crutches you are using but I was provided the type where you have a handhold and then a wrist brace above it. Not the traditional kind that rest in your arm pits. I ask because the type I was given are SO much better. If you don’t have them I’d highly recommend getting a pair. Not all hospitals provide those by default.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
Wayne,

How was your recovery, back to 100%?
I fractured my acetabulum a week ago and am recovering now. I had surgery to put everything back together. I've been told no weight bearing on my bad side for six weeks. I'm getting around with a walker pretty well in the house but will need a wheelchair for longer excursions. Fortunately I don't feel pain. I had some oxycodone before PT in the hospital but haven't had a need for it since. The constipation was bad but things are regular now.

I agree that taking the risks racing down a descent are not fair to the family (three young kids). My spouse has really stepped up and is managing things well but still it's not fair to him.

My accident was most likely self inflicted. A new bike (Marcelo) that I built up with carbon wheels and thin tubes. I had sixty miles on it before the front tire blew going around a curve on a downhill. I think the tube must have been pinched and I didn't notice it.

Anyway, I hope you have made a full recovery.
Mark
Old 05-23-2023, 12:35 PM

Haven't had either fracture; however, @MarkY, I think Kelly Starrett has some very good recovery advice in his surgery series on YouTube.

You seem to be of good spirits on this too, which can make all the difference; keep that going despite ups and downs of your recovery.

I have shared @Wayne77s first post in the thread with several cycling buddies and noted that I don't often see people posting "I was descending the Col du Galibier...." (although I know many PL'ers have done amazing rides in amazing places).

And thank you for reinforcing my personal bias toward continuing to ride tubulars. FWIW, at age 69 I'm very much in Wayne's camp on body preservation vs eeking out the last point whatever km/h, although I'm still primarily a road guy thanks to good road riding in most of Wisconsin.

Last edited by teleguy57; 05-23-2023 at 12:38 PM. Reason: didn't notice this was a resurrected thread until I had posted, so updated for that.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:16 PM
cnighbor2

Pelvic fracture anyone? Recovery experience?

Pelvic fracture anyone? Recovery experience?
I hit a car that turned in front of me. Hit the right front fender, flew up unto the hood and rolled onto the ground hard. X-Rays revealed a Pelvic fracture.
No case required. Just move around normally but no cycling, running etc. The cure was wait till new x-Rays revealed I was healed. Say 6 weeks to 8 weeks.
The big deal was when one gets injured the muscles that get hit don't function like before, so other muscles take over. which messes up up your whole body fitness. I had to get sports PT secessions. About eight of those once a week.
Old 05-23-2023, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the link teleguy. It reinforced how important breathing is for recovery.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:23 PM

So sorry to hear this. Most of us don't usually consider the risk of something like this happening. Get well soon, follow Doctors instructions and especially do the PT. It's good to hear you are getting excellent medical care. You will get past this.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:47 PM
PezTech

Lots of different fracture types... Your Doc and a good PT are the only advice you'll want to take... Period.
Old 05-23-2023, 10:56 PM

I wish you all the best and a full recovery Sir. I’ve fractured mine twice. Not fun, miserable, etc etc. plan on a good 5-6 months to get 100% back to normal. I was 45 the last time and healing was slower than it was at 25…… take care of yourself mentally as much as physically.

Scott
Old 05-24-2023, 12:33 AM

Thanks Scott, I'm soon to be 68. I'm sure it'll take a long time to get close to where I was strength wise. Best thing is I'm in good shape so I'm able to do a lot of things already. I mentioned earlier I don't feel pain. Well I do it just doesn't require meds to get through. One day at a time, I'll get there.

Last edited by MarkY; 05-24-2023 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:18 AM

Wow, y'all are getting back to training quick. My wife fractured her pelvis at Croatan BuckFifty in 2022 and it was 12 weeks before she was allowed to do anything load bearing - before 12 was up, she was on a walker and very limited mobility. This was a double fracture, but non-displaced and no surgery.