Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk87 View Post
Yeah. I figure that there are some modern success stories on the newer Ksyriums. I wasn't one of them. I'm also notoriously hard on wheels. Some of it could be body mass. I could starve myself for months and still be heavier than most.
And, in all fairness, I've never weighed more than 160 and usually hover around 150, so I can beat the crap out of factory wheels without much concern.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindwilly View Post
I was riding down a hill this past weekend when my rear wheel locked up on me. According to strava i was upwards of 35 mph when this happened. After pulling over and examining the wheel i discovered a spoke had pulled out of the rim and the rim was cracked. The wheels are Mavic Ksyriums from around 2012. Has anyone heard of this happening? What do you all suggest doing about the wheel? Replace just the rear? Replace the set? What are some recommended replacements/upgrades for the wheel? The bike is Serotta CSI that i use as a primary road bike for all my road bike needs.
Riding with a buddy when this happened on his Ksyrium's approx. same vintage. Locked up b/c there is some bushings in the FHB that have worn. Were they (occasionally) making a loud buzzing sound before lockup? This is potentially a very dangerous situation. Glad you were not injured. I would be in contact with Mavic and complain about danger. IMO, they should rebuild your wheel.
Andy in Houston
Old 07-31-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinco View Post
Riding with a buddy when this happened on his Ksyrium's approx. same vintage. Locked up b/c there is some bushings in the FHB that have worn. Were they (occasionally) making a loud buzzing sound before lockup? This is potentially a very dangerous situation. Glad you were not injured. I would be in contact with Mavic and complain about danger. IMO, they should rebuild your wheel.
Andy in Houston
I have heard of the bushing issues and the dreaded "mavic death squeal" but this was not the issue i had. I hit a small bump which seemed to have cracked the rim at the spoke eyelet. the spoke must have gotten tangled up in the frame or something which caused the wheel to lock. when i felt the rear wheel start to skid i hit the brakes and the rear came off the ground for a second or two. once the spoke broke completely free the wheel was able to spin again enabling me to slowdown and pull off the road to see what the hell just happened. Definitely a scare but all is well and a new wheel is in order. given the age of the wheel and the fact that the set came with the bike which i bought used, i don't think Mavic will help out in anyway. The question now is find a wheel builder or buy a production wheel. A wheel builder seems like the ideal but time and budget favors something stock.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I have heard of the bushing issues and the dreaded "mavic death squeal" but this was not the issue i had. I hit a small bump which seemed to have cracked the rim at the spoke eyelet.
See AngryScientist's earlier post. A single bump won't crack a rim at the spoke hole. Most likely, the rim was already cracked, and that last final bump was the "straw that broke the camel's back". Many "sudden failures" of bike components aren't really sudden at all, but are the result of cracks that have started and been growing for some time, and which could have been found by inspection.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
See AngryScientist's earlier post. A single bump won't crack a rim at the spoke hole. Most likely, the rim was already cracked, and that last final bump was the "straw that broke the camel's back". Many "sudden failures" of bike components aren't really sudden at all, but are the result of cracks that have started and been growing for some time, and which could have been found by inspection.
I get that. I wiped down the rims and looked them over a couple weeks ago and didn't notice anything. I am not claiming sudden catastrophic failure, i am just explaining what happened and seeking advice on what to do about my wheel replacement. perhaps the lesson is examine more closely and more often.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I have heard of the bushing issues and the dreaded "mavic death squeal" but this was not the issue i had. I hit a small bump which seemed to have cracked the rim at the spoke eyelet. the spoke must have gotten tangled up in the frame or something which caused the wheel to lock.
Ok. Sorry if you had explained that before. Just recall that "death squeal" culminating in his wheel locking up on a ride. Hope you get your issue worked out.

Andy
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Any recommendations for a wheel builder in Massachusetts?
Ck in with Dave, owner of Rockland Cycle in Rockland MA. One of the best in eastern MA