Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2024, 10:01 AM

Bike travel companies. Faves?

Starting to plan for a trip this season, no idea of where other than "someplace new".
Looking for travel companies you've used and been happy with OR ones you would avoid again.
Last year, I went to Portugal with Trek Travel, thanks to BRad704 who gifted me a voucher that made it more "affordable". Still spendy, but a bit less so. I must say I loved it. Everything was covered, basically (don't really drink, so that expense was not an issue). I didn't need my wallet from the time they picked me up until I left them a week later. I thought it was actually good value. And a decent bike to ride.
Flip side? SaddleSkedaddle out of the UK. Did two tours with them, the first to Africa and it was pretty good, but subcontracted. I was happy enough with them.
The second was to Italy, and easily the worst experience I've ever had on a bike. In Italy, which I love. Nothing was ready for us. On our own for everything. Lied (yes, lied) to about the route and previous scouting by the tour group (again, a subcontractor). They literally drew up the route the night before we did it. We ended up being routed onto a highway at one point, and one of our guides just left in the middle of one of the days. Was riding with us, then just was gone. Supposed to start in Venice, we started 80 mile away. That was one of the main reasons I took the trip. It was so bad that SaddleSkedaddle, to their credit, refunded every person on the trip $750 after it was over.
Your experiences? Did they supply a bike? If so, what and quality? How did they look after you? (I didn't have to load the Garmin, pump my tires, worry about carrying food or water with Trek. Wake up, go eat, grab my bike, go ride)
Thanks.

Last edited by makoti; 03-03-2024 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:12 AM

We have done multiple trips with Vermont Bicycle Tours http://VBT.com. Choose your itinerary and dates. They make all the travel arrangements. Super easy, excellent guides, well maintained bikes, superior accommodations, pre and post trip add on options.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:12 AM

Bicycle Adventure Club

I've done 23 tours with the Club. Mostly led by volunteers but these days many trips (a bit more expensive) are done coordinated with for-profit touring companies. I been all over both the US and Europe. Slovenia, Puglia Italy, Spain, France, Michigan, AZ, Finger Lakes, etc.

Trips almost always fill a year in advance. Got questions, I am open to answer if I can.

https://www.bicycleadventureclub.org/html/index.asp

Last edited by eddief; 03-03-2024 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:03 PM

Following this thread with interest - thanks
Old 03-03-2024, 01:33 PM

My wife and I did a 2-week tour with Exodus travel, on a thailand/cambodia/vietnam route for our honeymoon in 2016.

I really enjoyed it, but it was definitely catered to people that were active but dont ride a lot and dont want to put in big miles - the rental bikes were hybrids (we brought our own borrowed s&s coupled soma double cross bikes) and there were lots of snack stops plus a broom wagon. The upside of this was that there was no rush or pressure and my wife who doesnt ride as much could do as much or as little riding as she wanted to. The guides were fit and we had a great time chasing scooters.

The accomodations/food/organization were great as long as you're not looking for 5 star luxury at every stop. For what it was, it was a really great value - I'd do it again unless I was looking for some sort of training camp.

Last edited by .RJ; 03-03-2024 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:43 PM

Wait and see if BBDave chimes in and message him if he doesn't.
He regularly leads tours and has been on other companies tours as well.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:47 PM

Cinghiale Cycling Tours was one of the best experiences of my life. Did the Alps and Dolomites with Andy, will definitely do another after my wife and I retire.
Old 03-03-2024, 03:14 PM
You still here?

Not a bicycle tour company, but a bicycling oriented hotel in Italy, the Belvedere ( https://www.belvederericcione.com/en...taly/34-0.html ) provided me with one of the very best vacations of any type that I have experienced. Guided rides are daily, anything from flat-ish scenic rides to very serious pro-level, guided by ex-pros.

Marina, the owner, is a long-time friend of Pantani's mom and family and has been involved in the cycling scene in Riccione seemingly forever. She provided some of the very best customer service I've encountered in my long lifetime. I still get birthday cards from her after years I was there.

Feel free to email/PM me if you have questions. I whole-heartedly recommend them.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:06 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Best value, but limited rides these days: Erickson Cycle Tours. Bring your bike.

Best feel like family tours: Cinghiale with Andy Hampsten and his wife Elaine. Rentals available

Best Walter Mitty I'm a grand tour rider experience. InGamba. Everything provided including kit, water bottles, bikes, helmets etc.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
Cinghiale Cycling Tours was one of the best experiences of my life. Did the Alps and Dolomites with Andy, will definitely do another after my wife and I retire.
I would love to do one of Andy's rides, but I've done Italy so much that I've been pretty much everywhere outside of Sicily. Have they branched out to other countries?
Old 03-03-2024, 06:25 PM

I've toured with Stuart Hall 3x (2x Mallorca in the winter/spring and Raid Alpine last Aug). Pretty inexpensive compared to others, I wish I had more time to go on their other tours.
https://stuarthallcycling.co.uk/
Old 03-05-2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminglin View Post
I've toured with Stuart Hall 3x (2x Mallorca in the winter/spring and Raid Alpine last Aug). Pretty inexpensive compared to others, I wish I had more time to go on their other tours.
https://stuarthallcycling.co.uk/
Their prices seem very reasonable indeed!
Old 03-06-2024, 05:51 AM

2nd rooting for In Gamba if you're in for the luxury end of touring. We did Tuscany a couple years ago. Did not want for anything.
Old 03-06-2024, 01:10 PM

For Western US - Lizard Head (https://lizardheadcyclingguides.com/) - longer/more elevation than many guided tour companies. Relaxed, laid back, flexible. Great guides and food. One can do everything (every freaking inch) or take the van. Somehow always seem to ride through the most beautiful places. Those who are more "concrete" - e.g. don't want any changes from the proposed routes or plans, might be annoyed. I have always been challenged & delighted by the rides.

My friend raves about Ride and Seek - the epic tours (https://rideandseek.com/) High end, expensive but great experiences. Well taken care of and interesting places.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:20 PM
Shrimp123

subscribed.