Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2021, 02:24 PM
50 bpm

Been there, done that.

Old 08-06-2021, 02:40 PM

That is a lot of scapegoating, even your suggestion of banishing them from the village maps right on to the ancient customs.

I wonder who would investigate space murder? Space force?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I'm guessing that while the rich folks chase their dreams of doing useless things the Earth continues on a path of destruction, perhaps avoidable/stoppable/reversable if they were willing to throw a fraction of their excess money toward a common good.

They should sell one way tickets.

SPP
Old 08-06-2021, 02:55 PM
The B!

eh... thems o yall think poor people will never go into space are not thinking in Corporate.

given that the international space treaty has already paved the way for ONLY corporate control of space and all celestial bodies within it, there will be very little government (as we think of it currently) control over space. corporations will lay claim to martian and lunar territories, and need warm bodies in the form of settlers to occupy those territories and provide legitimacy to their claims/protect their stakes.

even though these unprecedentedly MASSIVE mining and construction operations will be entirely automated, otherwise hopeless earthlings will be offered warm-body "jobs" of indentured servitude to colonize. with the inevitable proceeding infrastructure neglect and corporate wars of conquest, we'll be able to add asphyxiation and depressurization to starvation and disease as the major causes of death among the poor.

business, hell yea!
Old 08-06-2021, 06:06 PM

Private individuals have already purchased most of the moon.

https://lunarregistry.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
eh... thems o yall think poor people will never go into space are not thinking in Corporate.

given that the international space treaty has already paved the way for ONLY corporate control of space and all celestial bodies within it, there will be very little government (as we think of it currently) control over space. corporations will lay claim to martian and lunar territories, and need warm bodies in the form of settlers to occupy those territories and provide legitimacy to their claims/protect their stakes.

even though these unprecedentedly MASSIVE mining and construction operations will be entirely automated, otherwise hopeless earthlings will be offered warm-body "jobs" of indentured servitude to colonize. with the inevitable proceeding infrastructure neglect and corporate wars of conquest, we'll be able to add asphyxiation and depressurization to starvation and disease as the major causes of death among the poor.

business, hell yea!
Old 08-06-2021, 07:33 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Here you go, that'll be $450,000 please. I take BTC.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:24 PM

anyone know if the price includes in flight snacks ?

Old 08-06-2021, 11:00 PM

Last edited by gdw; 08-07-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:41 AM

You couldn't pay me to go.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:42 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post

business, hell yea!
A glimpse, sorta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_Al...ind_(TV_series)

As for right above, I’d go in a second. What a ride it would be…
Old 08-07-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
You couldn't pay me to go.
I might but going to space is way down on my list of priorities. I like the sun, breezes, greenery, birds chirping.

Besides, cycling in space would suck.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:23 AM
slower than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
You just wait till that first one explodes and crashes back to earth in a fiery ball. I doubt many tickets will be sold after that.
Yup. The Challenger incident significantly changed the public's attitude toward what was, at that point, an almost boring, recurring event. Extra points if it takes out innocents on the ground.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:42 AM
Randomhead

In the mid-80s, one of the aerospace students told me that his fear of space travel was rapid decompression. In retrospect, that's somewhat less likely than a landing problem. And recently, spacex had a "successful landing" but the vehicle burned rapidly before it would have been possible for any occupants to disembark.

I'm waiting for space elevators, but it would be a bummer to get stuck between floors.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycletricycle View Post
Private individuals have already purchased most of the moon.

https://lunarregistry.com/
Wow, that's a great scam! I'm just sorry I didn't think of starting that con job first!

https://www.republicworld.com/techno...ails-here.html

Quote:
As many people are thinking about owning a piece of land on the Moon, it is a matter of concern because it is considered to be illegal to sell lunar land to anyone. It was in 1967, when three big countries, the Soviet Union, the United States, and the United Kingdom came up with an international treaty, called the Outer Space Treaty, which is supposed to be followed and upheld by all nations. There were 109 other countries, including India who signed the treaty.

As per the Treaty, "outer space is not subject to national appropriation by claim of sovereignty, by means of use or occupation, or by any other means". This prevents all the member countries from using outer space in any business activities. However, there are people, including Sushant Singh Rajput who reportedly bought a piece of lunar land. Sushant's land on the moon is called the Mare Muscoviense or the ‘Sea of Muscovy’. There is a Lunar Land Registry portal that allegedly assures people to sell them a piece of Lunar land.

For all the people who say that they own a part of Lunar land are claiming the property in compliance with Title IV of the Space Resource Exploration and Utilization Act of 2015, Section 402 in the USA, which states: "A U.S. citizen engaged in commercial recovery of an asteroid resource or a space resource shall be entitled to any asteroid resource or space resource obtained, including to possess, own, transport, use, and sell it according to applicable law, including U.S. international obligations". Non-U.S. citizens may possess Lunar property and resources by contracting a proxy (agent) with U.S. citizenship or commercial rights. However, as per several reports, this bill was never passed in the US parliament.

Nevertheless, for the question of "Can you buy land on Moon?" is No, as the International treaty essentially states that all forms of outer space exploration (which includes lunar exploration) would be for the benefit of all mankind. It also explicitly states that no individual can purchase a piece of lunar land and call it his or her own. This means Lunar Land Registry and buying land for private ownership of the moon is impossible and illegal, as per the Outer Space Treaty of several nations. But, there are still agencies like The Lunar Registry who are allegedly selling the celestial land and we know a few Indians like Rajeev V Bagdhi and Sushant Singh Rajput who have bought the lunar land from such portals.

Tags
conspicuous consumption, veblen goods