Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Builder Spotlights

Old 11-19-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
This JK Special is headed out to Portland tomorrow and I'm excited to see it built up and on the road.

This one is built around medium reach brakes to give room for some fatroad rubber and of course it's painted my new favorite color Legnano Green.

Stay safe out there wherever you are.

dave

Saw this on Instagram and was hoping it was a PL owned frame. I would never have picked this color off of a lineup of color tiles but wow, it looks fantastic. As you said, Dave, JB knows how to lay it down and the orange accents are such a nice compliment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2020, 02:44 PM

This week's build will stretch well into next week. It's a fully stainless fillet brazed frame that will head to Seoul South Korea when I've wrapped it up. Right now the fork (not shown) is about 1/2 done and the front triangle is done and ready to have the rear end brazed in place (shown with everything dry fit into the jig).

These builds are a shocking amount of work and one needs to be super careful to not make any marks on the tubes that will only need to be polished out later...it's enough work on it's own without adding to it.

But right now the sun is shining and the roads are clear of snow so I'm going to bundle up and get out and pedal for an hour or two so this will wait until Monday.

Have a great weekend and stay healthy.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1386.jpg (65.0 KB, 508 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1362 (1).jpg (74.0 KB, 510 views)
Old 11-23-2020, 07:09 PM

The fork to go with the frame posted just above. Stainless fork crowns look so cool after the shape is finessed and polished. I love the way the light plays off them.

Dinner time now that this is done.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1403.jpg (66.2 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1401.jpg (58.5 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1396.jpg (117.0 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1393.jpg (61.6 KB, 461 views)
Old 11-24-2020, 04:29 PM

If you are going to paint frames Legnano green, then the seatpost binder bolt location must be located properly

Quote:
This JK Special is headed out to Portland tomorrow and I'm excited to see it built up and on the road.

This one is built around medium reach brakes to give room for some fatroad rubber and of course it's painted my new favorite color Legnano Green.

Stay safe out there wherever you are.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (4.8 KB, 400 views)
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 AM

Beautiful work as always dave, quite mesmerizing.

I'm not sure how stupid this question is, but I'll ask. This is the same fork you would make for an Onesto, correct?

If this is the case, it has me wondering if you've made an Onesto with the same finish (or lack thereof)?

Quote:
The fork to go with the frame posted just above. Stainless fork crowns look so cool after the shape is finessed and polished. I love the way the light plays off them.

Dinner time now that this is done.

dave
Old 12-01-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieclick View Post
Beautiful work as always dave, quite mesmerizing.

I'm not sure how stupid this question is, but I'll ask. This is the same fork you would make for an Onesto, correct?

If this is the case, it has me wondering if you've made an Onesto with the same finish (or lack thereof)?
Yes - the fork is the same for the lugged Onesto frame and the fillet Onesto.

I typically do a glass bead "frosted" finish on the lugged frames while on the fillet frames it's usually a brushed finish (as shown on this fork). I like them being different and feel that the lugs look best with the frosted finish....and at the same time I feel that the fillets look much prettier with the brushed finish.

I've done both construction methods in both finishes and have developed a preference for the frosted lugs and brushed fillets over time.

dave
Old 12-01-2020, 11:16 AM

Thanks Dave.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:13 PM

Finally....after too many covid related supply shortages I had all the needed raw materials to finish this Onesto Fillet frame that is headed to Seoul as soon as I can get it in a box. Aside from the delays in getting basic stuff this was a really fun build.

Time to box it and move onto the next frameset in line.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1424.jpg (33.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1431.jpg (40.8 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1427.jpg (36.7 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1425.jpg (36.4 KB, 244 views)
Old 12-02-2020, 05:16 PM

Amazing! I can only imagine the beautiful rides the new owner will take this bike on in Korea.

Dave, I know you generally recommend against an Onesto for folks that live close to the ocean, but is there any nuance to that recommendation? I live in NYC and while it's on the water, I don't really think of it as being on the water, if that makes any sense.

I assume the answer is still no (since mental perception is very different from physical reality), but figured I'd still ask since the Onesto really speaks to me. Of course, a Joe Bell paint job on a non-stainless frame wouldn't be the worst thing.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tepextate View Post
Amazing! I can only imagine the beautiful rides the new owner will take this bike on in Korea.

Dave, I know you generally recommend against an Onesto for folks that live close to the ocean, but is there any nuance to that recommendation? I live in NYC and while it's on the water, I don't really think of it as being on the water, if that makes any sense.

I assume the answer is still no (since mental perception is very different from physical reality), but figured I'd still ask since the Onesto really speaks to me. Of course, a Joe Bell paint job on a non-stainless frame wouldn't be the worst thing.
I can't give a solid answer to that. It all depends on the amount of salt in the air. Obviously if you live far inland it's not an issue and on the other hand if you live right on the beach it's a real issue....and there's a continuum between the two. Where you fall on that continuum I have zero clue.

Sorry that I couldn't be more definitive.

dave
Old 12-02-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I can't give a solid answer to that. It all depends on the amount of salt in the air. Obviously if you live far inland it's not an issue and on the other hand if you live right on the beach it's a real issue....and there's a continuum between the two. Where you fall on that continuum I have zero clue.

Sorry that I couldn't be more definitive.

dave
Fair enough. Probably better not to risk it. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-03-2020, 01:11 PM

I am loving the look of the seat cluster. It appears as though there is a machined sleeve that is brazed in, the small details of the sleeve and the circles is so nice to see raw.

Every time I see details like this it makes me want one of you bikes even more.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
I am loving the look of the seat cluster. It appears as though there is a machined sleeve that is brazed in, the small details of the sleeve and the circles is so nice to see raw.

Every time I see details like this it makes me want one of you bikes even more.
For me, it's the forks. They stops me in my tracks!....
Old 12-04-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
For me, it's the forks. They stops me in my tracks!....
yep, soo good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oh yes .jpg (64.8 KB, 150 views)
Old 12-04-2020, 09:31 AM

No shiny bikes in this post - I just wanted to share the view I had during my mountain bike ride yesterday. I rode at a trail network called "Copper City" and it was cold but dry and very clear and calm. The photo looks east from Copper City to the Bridger Mountains. I live right at the base of the Bridgers....about mid-photo there is a nipple shaped peak (Ross Peak) and I live 4000" lower than that peak and just to the right or south of that.

The distance from where the photo was taken to the Bridgers in the distance is about 40 miles. Big Sky country for sure.

I just wanted to share. Wish you could join me riding here.

dave