Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2019, 11:25 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmradio516 View Post
Can anyone tell me what the fascination is with these superior coffee roasters and only producing super acidic, light-roasted, sour tasting beans? And when I ask if they have any dark roasts, they get offended. I understand dark roasts are super roasted and therefore you cant get hints of kiwi or whatever it is they do with light-roasts, but I cant stand these light roasts. I just bought a 12oz bag of beans for $20 from intelligentsia to give it a try and i just cant do it.

Maybe one day ill see the light, but that day is not today. Give me a columbian dark roast that hints dark chocolate and nothing else and im happy.
I am the opposite - I find all dark roasts taste burnt. I prefer the lighter roasts.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisericd View Post
I'm a huge coffee lover. We buy direct from Peets (Sulawesi Kalosi) every month for drip / pour over and have always been pretty happy.

We've tried a lot of different types of espresso machines including a couple of the Illy capsule offerings and a Baby Gaggia with a pretty nice burr grinder (I'm forgetting the name but it was in the $300 range - nice but not professional). For Christmas my wife bought me a refurbished super automatic DeLonghi Gran Dama for less than $800 (coupons and the right timing). If it wasn't new when we bought it, I couldn't tell. I was skeptical - super automatic and all but she likes lattes and it's really easy to use. I drink espresso and Americanos.

She also bought me the Whole Latte Love Italian coffee variety pack. Coffee coming out of the machine was good, but not great. Then I found Trade Coffee. Wow! It really is all about the beans. I like my coffee dark but not bitter and don't use sugar or milk although on weekends I will throw a shot of maple syrup in there. Favorites so far are: Doma Virgil's, Irving Farm Gotham and Metric Le Corbusier. The Doma is by far my favorite.

Skeptical at first but now with my Trade beans, I think the DeLonghi is great and would highly recommend.
Interested in trying the Virgil. Shipping is a killer though at 50% of the cost of the coffee.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:16 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
holy ****, $22 for 12oz? and here i thought my $16/lb decaf habit was expensive

for the poster complaining about acidic coffee, does any of the Whole Foods in your area roast on-site? There are a few in NJ that does roasting on site, and they are quite good. Ditto for Fairway in the greater NY metro
hmmm, there is $15 beans on the site. But yes they have $22 beans, so do a lot of other specialty roasters.

Quote:
Hm just from looking at the flavor notes, i dont think id like it. Not into the fruity stuff. I like a deep, rich, chocolately bean. but thanks!
Thats fair and makes sense why you like La Colombe. To me it is over roasted and lacks body. But that is fine, everyone likes different things and totally ok There are some other places online I can recommend. I usually get my stuff online because hard to find what I want here in upstate NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
I am the opposite - I find all dark roasts taste burnt. I prefer the lighter roasts.
Same here.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
holy ****, $22 for 12oz? and here i thought my $16/lb decaf habit was expensive

for the poster complaining about acidic coffee, does any of the Whole Foods in your area roast on-site? There are a few in NJ that does roasting on site, and they are quite good. Ditto for Fairway in the greater NY metro
My whole foods DOES do that. Maybe ill talk to them about it. I know for a fact a buddy of mine used to be in charge of the roasting there. ill ask him, thanks!
Old 02-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
My whole foods DOES do that. Maybe ill talk to them about it. I know for a fact a buddy of mine used to be in charge of the roasting there. ill ask him, thanks!
you are welcome. There was a wholefood like that when I lived in NJ; there isn't one here in Philly though.

their Colombia La Duena is pretty decent, and I use it for my espresso. Medium dark, some oils. Comes out pretty smooth. Best part is that you can buy however much you want (and it's $12/lb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
hmmm, there is $15 beans on the site. But yes they have $22 beans, so do a lot of other specialty roasters.
the least expensive I saw is $17 for 12 oz (i originally just randomly clicked on one). Even at $15 for 12oz, that's still $20/lb. My local roaster, which sells by the ounce, charges $15/lb, and it's a much better proposition, as the beans won't go stale if I buy smaller quantities
Old 02-07-2019, 12:48 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
you are welcome. There was a wholefood like that when I lived in NJ; there isn't one here in Philly though.

their Colombia La Duena is pretty decent, and I use it for my espresso. Medium dark, some oils. Comes out pretty smooth. Best part is that you can buy however much you want (and it's $12/lb)

the least expensive I saw is $17 for 12 oz (i originally just randomly clicked on one). Even at $15 for 12oz, that's still $20/lb. My local roaster, which sells by the ounce, charges $15/lb, and it's a much better proposition, as the beans won't go stale if I buy smaller quantities
nice that you have that option.

Prices maybe high compared to what you can get but compared to what is out there seem fair. La Colombe in the city charges $15+, so does blue bottle, ect..
Old 02-07-2019, 05:52 PM

new addition to the family. Out with the old, in with the Blue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3500.jpg (99.0 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3498.jpg (88.4 KB, 234 views)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:25 PM

Nicely done

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankles View Post
I’ll take a triple espresso please!
Old 02-08-2019, 10:04 AM
PegoNagos

Quote:
That setup is GORGEOUS!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:27 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
That setup is GORGEOUS!
Nice, but how long does it take to warm up?? I assume it is plumbed?
Old 02-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Nice, but how long does it take to warm up?? I assume it is plumbed?
It's plumbed. No other option with the Linea. Takes about 30 minutes id it's been off for 24 hrs. Only about 10 id it's been off for 12 hrs. It will stay on 24/7 for a few weeks. I installed a 220V pool timer in-line. Once I get a baseline, I'll set the timer up for a M-F 5:30-9:30 and Sat/Sun 5:30-3:30 and check the diff.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:32 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
It's plumbed. No other option with the Linea. Takes about 30 minutes id it's been off for 24 hrs. Only about 10 id it's been off for 12 hrs. It will stay on 24/7 for a few weeks. I installed a 220V pool timer in-line. Once I get a baseline, I'll set the timer up for a M-F 5:30-9:30 and Sat/Sun 5:30-3:30 and check the diff.
that is awesome....very cool machine.

I got to tour the La Marzocco USA facility here in Seattle a couple years ago and asked about commercial machines in residential applications and the warm up time was the main obstacle for home use. The timer remedies that..

Congrats!
Old 02-08-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
that is awesome....very cool machine.

I got to tour the La Marzocco USA facility here in Seattle a couple years ago and asked about commercial machines in residential applications and the warm up time was the main obstacle for home use. The timer remedies that..

Congrats!
Oh, I'd love to go on that tour. I get up to Seattle several times year! I've been told it's a bad thing to allow the machine to cool down and heat up repeatedly, but I've also read things to the contrary...easy on some parts, hard on others. I had my former machine on the timer for 20 years so experience tells me tuning it on and off had zero impact, at least for my leverl of usage.

A friend just gave me an even better idea. Install a smart home relay switch. No timer, just an app on phone. Wish I'd talked to him before I bought the timer ;-)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:39 PM

My $265.00 Delongi. I love it!
Old 02-08-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
My $265.00 Delongi. I love it!
nothin wrong with that!

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso