Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2020, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by many_styles View Post
I also think SRAM is way ahead as far as innovation goes. Wireless shifting was the first step, but rethinking how shifting works was great, going with unconventional smaller chainrings to minimize large jumps between gear is good too.
I know SRAM claims that AXS has smaller jumps between gears, but this claim is false. The claim isn't just an exaggeration, it leaps the fence to being a straight up lie. We've gone over the numbers before (see previous threads), but for for the same range of gearing, AXS actually has Bigger jumps between gear sizes. SRAM can't change change the rules of mathematical ratios to serve their advertising claims.
Old 04-26-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
SRAM AXS is the only way to go as far as electronic is concerned. I never really understood the draw of Di2 despite having and riding it frequently.
I honestly think people were skeptical of SRAM's past of durability... Shimano simply works and rarely fails. SRAM stuff was crappy in comparison. The playing field has finally leveled..
Old 04-26-2020, 01:04 PM

As far as range is concerned, SRAM gave up range with their limited 13T difference at the crank. Campy's 11-34 sprocket spacing is also better, at least for me. I get the big jumps between the 19-22-25-29-34, where I need them. If the 29 isn't low enough, it's rare to find the 34 too low. It's only about a 10 rpm change. Even less if the slope forces me to reduce my cadence.

There's a big disconnect between the price charged for AXS on OEM bikes and the very high price charged for the groups, purchased to update an existing bike.

I bought two chorus 12 groups for about the same as one force 12 group.
Old 04-26-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vamoots58 View Post
Been thinking about trying Etap for a while. Having been a 100% Campy guy for 15'sh years, it took me a while to pull the trigger. I am having a new custom Ti bike built, so perfect opportunity to try Etap while I'm waiting (and I can have the new frame built without any need for (gear) cable guides or EPS holes.

Couple of considerations for me, I am not abandoning my collection of campy compatible wheels, so gonna be a mix of components. I ended up with AXS RD/FD/Shifters, Campy 12-speed cassette, KMC 12-speed chain. I have been riding Rotor Q-Rings for several years and was hoping to be able to continue. Had I thought about (how many things that start that way turn out well !?!?!) I would have realized that the AXS FD was built for a max large chainring of 50T. So even my 'smallish' 50T Q is more like 52T at its max measurement. Needless to say, that didn't work, but I found a crazy deal online for a new Red 22 C2 crankset, so using that.

Found the pairing to be the ultimate in ease, literally. The installation was fine, albeit it is a bit 'fiddly' compared to setting up EPS. Micro-adjusting the RD takes some time. To be honest was a little worried, because on the stand, I could never get the set-up to be quiet, always felt slightly out of 'tune'.

Got it outside today for a quickie 25 mile test run, and it was really great. First, the drivetrain is SILENT, way quieter than my EPS was. I'll attribute some of that to brand new components, with zero wear, we'll see if that persists. Any worry of compatibility went out the window on a short, but really steep little pitch, up out of saddle, and super smooth. I wish just once, the component companies would be straight with the compatibility issue, wishful thinking I know, but... I found the shifting to be quick and certain. The shifting paddles have a good feel when shifting (realizing it's electronic). I did have couple of missed shifts, all attributable to me getting used to right for up, left for down, but it was getting more automatic at the end of the ride. I think the cranks have a narrower Q-factor than my Rotors, which I noticed Can't say I felt a big change going back to round rings, although one longish (for me) one mile climb didn't feel as smooth.

All in all really happy with AXS (albeit after one ride). If you're considering going that way, c'mon in the water's fine!!
So you are using the 11 speed Red 50/34 crankset?
Old 04-26-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
As far as range is concerned, SRAM gave up range with their limited 13T difference at the crank. Campy's 11-34 sprocket spacing is also better, at least for me. I get the big jumps between the 19-22-25-29-34, where I need them. If the 29 isn't low enough, it's rare to find the 34 too low. It's only about a 10 rpm change. Even less if the slope forces me to reduce my cadence.

There's a big disconnect between the price charged for AXS on OEM bikes and the very high price charged for the groups, purchased to update an existing bike.

I bought two chorus 12 groups for about the same as one force 12 group.
What kind of bikes are you riding with Chorus 12?
Any clearance issue with the FD and a wide rear tire like a 700X38 dirt road tire?
Old 04-26-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY rider View Post
What kind of bikes are you riding with Chorus 12?
Any clearance issue with the FD and a wide rear tire like a 700X38 dirt road tire?
I have rim brake road bikes with 25mm tires. No dirt for me.
Old 04-26-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I have rim brake road bikes with 25mm tires. No dirt for me.
This is the only correct answer.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:58 PM

another life long Campy user. had EPS, didn't really care for it. have 12 spd AXS on new gravel bike, not that impressed. It's probably that I'm an old sod, but to me, nothing compares to mechanical shifing when it's properly dialed.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:25 PM

Red AXS disk rocks. Loose 5lbs riding it instead of complaining about its weight.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:44 PM
Meh

The 13T gap is lies. I’m running a 46/30 on force etap AXS with 0 issues. Setup was finicky as hell but that seems to the case no matter what. The stuff is solid.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:59 PM

Last edited by Spdntrxi; 04-26-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
The 13T gap is lies. I’m running a 46/30 on force etap AXS with 0 issues. Setup was finicky as hell but that seems to the case no matter what. The stuff is solid.
SRAM is the one that offers only 13 tooth difference on their cranks. No lies there.

Campy 12 shifts a 16 tooth difference with no finicky setup. Just follow the video instructions.
Old 04-26-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
SRAM is the one that offers only 13 tooth difference on their cranks. No lies there.

Campy 12 shifts a 16 tooth difference with no finicky setup. Just follow the video instructions.
But Eli's point is you can run a 16 tooth gap. And a 46/30 with a 10-33 cassette is amazeballs.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
So, 50/34 would work too?
Old 04-26-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
So, 50/34 would work too?
Sure, but 50x10 is....lorge....