Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2024, 05:59 PM

Thinking about a new car - Bronco Sport thoughts?

It looks like we'll be in the market for a new car in the (very) near future. We have a Subaru Crosstrek that we really like but fitting a bike inside is a bit of a challenge (I ride 60 and 61 cm frames). Checking here to see if anyone has experience with the Ford Bronco Sport around on bikes fitting inside. I don't mind removing the front wheel but would rather not have to remove both wheels and the seat post.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2024, 06:02 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

IIRC the sport's a CUV (Edge?) with a fancy body on it.

M
Old 09-26-2024, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee View Post
IIRC the sport's a CUV (Edge?) with a fancy body on it.

M
It is, but more functional with the boxy shape. If you're going Bronco, I've heard to avoid the 3 cyl and get the higher spec 4cyl turbo. Lots of problems with little motor in year 1. I'd think wheel off and at an angle you'd be ok with a big bike. Ask the dealer to test fit, I'm sure they would let you.

Any reason to go Bronco over Forester given that you have a Subaru now? I'll admit the higher spec Bronco Sports are quite nice. Outside the box take would be to consider a CPO Volvo XC60 that will easily fit your bike and have a MUCH more refined experience than either of these new.
Old 09-26-2024, 06:13 PM

I ride a 60/61 too. Wife and I looked at Bronco Sport, looked like my bike would fit no issue besides removing front wheel, but didn’t actually try. We also looked at CRV and RAV4 hybrid. I’d say the CRV was best, but we went with RAV4 Hybrid and have not been disappointed.

Last edited by Buzz Killington; 09-26-2024 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2024, 06:14 PM

We just got a 23 outback touring xt. Really happy with it. Lots of cargo space, a very peppy engine, pretty luxurious and very quiet inside.
Old 09-26-2024, 06:43 PM

It believe it's based on Escape, not larger Edge. Don't know about interior space, but S/B reliable...especially with the 2.0L Turbo (3rd generation). Has reliable 8 speed auto they put in everything, and the 2.0 Turbo is used in base Lincoln Nautilus, The baby Lincoln, Edge, Maverick pickup, Escape, and probably others around the world. I know it's been modified up to 900 HP without blowing up. So has strong internals. Does not have dual injectors, so lots of short trip driving could result in carbon buildup past 50,000 miles and require service. (The larger 2.3 Turbo used in Mustang and Explorer has the dual injector system, along with all the last generation V6 3.5 and 2.7 turbo engine, plus V8's). It does have plenty of power....280 Ft LBs TQ at 3000 RPM.
Old 09-26-2024, 06:44 PM

Re: overhead clearance. I had a Wrangler which had enough overhead clearance to allow a 56-57cm bike upright with front wheel off but the seatpost intact. The Wrangler was recently replaced with a Toyota 4Runner. I was disappointed that the Toyota had less clearance than the Jeep… I now have to remove the saddle to get the bike in there. I’m skeptical that a Bronco sport would accomodate a 60cm frame upright in the back.
Old 09-26-2024, 06:54 PM

We had a Bronco Sport for a couple of years and put on 50k miles or so. I think ours was the big bend with the 3cyl turbo. I am a Ford fan through and through but I would advise not to get one unless it is a Badlands with the 4cyl. The 3 banger was noisy and underpowered. Also, the vehicle in general was noisy and a rattletrap. We traded it in for a used Edge ST, what a world of difference is overall comfort, power, and highway manners. The Edge cost less that a new Bronco Sport but is leaps and bound better in ever aspect. The Edge ST with the 2.7TT gets better mileage than the Bronco Sport.

Seatpost has to come out in he Bronco Sport. I ride a 54 and use a fork mount I attach to the rear cargo floor.
Old 09-26-2024, 07:02 PM

I ride a size 60 as well and I have a Toyota Highlander. All kinds of room.
Old 09-26-2024, 07:20 PM

Don’t know about bike capability, but SIL has one and got stuck in his FLAT driveway with 4” of snow. If you live where it snows I would be very wary.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:00 PM

I would not touch one of the 3cyl versions with a 10’ pole, the 2.0L models get you close to or even into the $40K range.

In that price range I would look hard at a Honda Passport. They have a good amount of interior space plus a very solid V6.
Old 09-26-2024, 08:57 PM
Back At It!

I looked really close at the Bronco Sport as I really liked the outside of it. When I was able to get a closer look inside, it really underwhelmed me.. especially for the price.. it underwhelmed me enough to to not even drive it.. I ended up getting a Subaru Forester Wilderness (2023), we also have a Crosstrek Sport and the Forester has a lot more room in the back.. if you don't like/want the Wilderness, the Sports are pretty nice.. no idea on the new 2025 model..
Old 09-26-2024, 11:02 PM

I brought bikes in to the dealer to see how they would fit. Nope. I ride 52-54.
Old 09-26-2024, 11:44 PM
n - 1

For bike transport? Nope, I’d not get one. I’d look at the forester, as mentioned. Or if you want to keep both wheels on, I don’t think you’ll find many outside of minivans and full size SUV’s.
Old 09-27-2024, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt92037 View Post
I would not touch one of the 3cyl versions with a 10’ pole, the 2.0L models get you close to or even into the $40K range.

In that price range I would look hard at a Honda Passport. They have a good amount of interior space plus a very solid V6.
I like the Passport as well. The Bronco Sport looks too small to be an effective bike transport vehicle.