Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-31-2021, 08:39 AM

Chorus vs Potenza (aka NonSeries)11s Chains

I noticed that the Potenza level chains have the slotted links, hollow pins, weigh less and cost less than Chorus (or Record) chains. What does one give up if opting for Potenza vs Chorus/Record?
Old 05-31-2021, 08:47 AM
aka RAEKWON

Probably just a little heavier. I have used all sorts of campy chains and they all have worked just as well as eachother
Old 05-31-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
Probably just a little heavier. I have used all sorts of campy chains and they all have worked just as well as eachother
That would make sense, but the listings I've seen show the Potenza chain is the lightest of any of the 11s chains.

for example:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=83898

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=26417

https://www.modernbike.com/campagnol...11-speed-chain
Old 05-31-2021, 10:07 AM

That is interesting. They all are listed as 114 links but at Merlin, Potenza is listed as 112 links, so maybe that explains it. FWIW I bought a Potenza chain, I forget if Universal cycles or Merlin, and it came in a Campy box but no model identifier. I suspect a lot of these specs are propagated from a single, maybe inaccurate source. I'm using the chain on a 10s Record, 11s Athena crank setup and a little noisy, but otherwise good.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:20 AM

Should be the same as current Centaur, since Potenza is no longer listed at Campy website.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Com...gnolo_11_chain
Old 05-31-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Should be the same as current Centaur, since Potenza is no longer listed at Campy website.

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Com...gnolo_11_chain
Interesting because most sellers US or UK (Wiggle, Merlin, Modern Bike, Universal) all list the same 235 grams which is 20 grams less than Campagnolo's site for what you linked. I wonder if there is indeed a different between a Potenza and a Non-Series (centaur) chain?
Old 05-31-2021, 10:59 AM

I wish bike stuff could be simple...

Can anyone explain what AND why is a 'non series chain'?

I asked a couple of online shops via email as i recently searched for chain availability and got "they're just as good" and "they work fine".

Then WHY would anyone buy a 'series chain' -for more $? There has to be a difference in steel or plating or construction...right??

I like a deal but not if the quality is off.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Can anyone explain what AND why is a 'non series chain'?

I asked a couple of online shops via email as i recently searched for chain availability and got "they're just as good" and "they work fine".

Then WHY would anyone buy a 'series chain' -for more $? There has to be a difference in steel or plating or construction...right??

I like a deal but not if the quality is off.
A guess? Perhaps Chorus/Record chains for 11 speed have been discontinued, but to support 11s systems, Campagnolo now offers a single '11-series' chain.

From Universal, the Record chain seems to have some value-added descriptors (if they're worth anything is another question) that the Chorus or Non-Series/Potenza don't show. They also show a weight that is a bit less than others that have 242g for Record.

11 speed specific 5.5mm spacing
Built with a special new steel that increases strength by 20%
Improved outer link design for faster shifting, especially under load
Ni-PTFE treatment ensures smoothness and long life
Requires Ultra-Link fastening system (included) and Campagnolo 11 speed chain tool, UT-CN300, for installation (sold separately)
Record level: hollow pins - 229g
Color: nickel/grey
Links: 114
Width: 5.5mm
Size: 11/128"
Old 05-31-2021, 11:22 AM

Campy chains all work absolutely the same and are of the same quality. There is some difference in cutouts etc but functionally there is no difference. There is absolutely no reason to pay more money for an up level campy chain. If you looked at chains on the campy bikes at the giro I bet $$$ you would have a variety of chains not tied in any way to team leadership.
Old 05-31-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroph View Post
campy chains all work absolutely the same and are of the same quality. There is some difference in cutouts etc but functionally there is no difference. There is absolutely no reason to pay more money for an up level campy chain. If you looked at chains on the campy bikes at the giro i bet $$$ you would have a variety of chains not tied in any way to team leadership.
+1
Old 05-31-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisroph View Post
Campy chains all work absolutely the same and are of the same quality. There is some difference in cutouts etc but functionally there is no difference. There is absolutely no reason to pay more money for an up level campy chain. If you looked at chains on the campy bikes at the giro I bet $$$ you would have a variety of chains not tied in any way to team leadership.
Functionally, I would guess that yes they're all comparable. Lacking any evidence though, I don't know with your certainty that they're the same quality/longevity though. The Zerofriction testing unfortunately doesn't include the Potenza/generic level chain.

Anyway, for net upcharge of about $6 over the Non-series, I opted for a Record chain. I'm going out on a limb perhaps thinking there must be some weight savings and/or that Ni-PTFE coating might yield something extra.
Old 05-31-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
A guess? Perhaps Chorus/Record chains for 11 speed have been discontinued, but to support 11s systems, Campagnolo now offers a single '11-series' chain.
I doubt that Record 11spd chains are discontinued, or will be any time soon. Record 10spd chains are still available, after all. And even if the Potenza group is discontinued, that doesn't mean that Potenza chains will be - as previously noted, Record 10spd and Veloce 10spd chains are still available, even though these groups have been discontinued.
Old 06-01-2021, 07:33 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
I noticed that the Potenza level chains have the slotted links, hollow pins, weigh less and cost less than Chorus (or Record) chains. What does one give up if opting for Potenza vs Chorus/Record?
Nothing...least expensive compatible chain and cogset..they are consumables.

And for right above..

Campag 8s cogsets are still made, as are 9s and 10s. 10s Record ERGO levers too. Copy to 'tubulars are dead and gone' thread...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 06-01-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:27 AM

Some vendors call them Potenza, some non-series, but probably best to just use the Campy part number CN17-1114. I'm using these with a YBN quick link and they are fine.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
I doubt that Record 11spd chains are discontinued, or will be any time soon. Record 10spd chains are still available, after all. And even if the Potenza group is discontinued, that doesn't mean that Potenza chains will be - as previously noted, Record 10spd and Veloce 10spd chains are still available, even though these groups have been discontinued.
I guess that was the reason it was a guess. As you say, you can still get Record or Veloce 10s chains. Chorus maybe not. For 9 speed, it looks like Record is only option but I don't know whether there were other options when that was current (eg Veloce)? The trend seems to reduce the number of SKUs as next generation groupset (# of speeds) releases.

Is this the first time that can be recalled where Campagnolo took the trim level name off of a chain?