Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2024, 10:57 AM

I listened to some other "influencers" (now that I think about it they did their job well so I should remove the quotations but I won't out of spite) that live in the PNW and they swore off wax as "doesn't work where I live, etc". I bought the entire Silca getup and couldn't be happier with it. I was a Synergetic user and absolutely hated the mess from one ride, chain and cassette covered in dark gray almost black gook. Have a few hundred miles on wax now and love it, it is SO quiet. I was aware of the complaints about the wax dandruff and did make sure to bust loose the links after the waxing and then just spun the drivetrain outdoors with the bike off the ground, blew the dandruff off and away I went.
Old 04-24-2024, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggdave View Post
side benefit of using waxed chain is not worrying about touching the chain as you wipe the chain stays since it doesn't attract as much grit and grease. I usually wipe down the bike and then the chain, wash the rag, in a couple minutes. leaves the bike looking clean for the next ride out.
Yesterday, I was riding and heard a too loud clunk and thought it might be the Quicklink coming undone. Instead of getting off and turning the cranks to find the link and look at it, I reached down (at a light. I am not that good) and ran the chain through my hand to feel it. Seemed fine. Continued on my ride.
Try that with a lubed chain. You'd be cleaning grease off your hand for a week.

Last edited by makoti; 04-24-2024 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat View Post
I listened to some other "influencers" (now that I think about it they did their job well so I should remove the quotations but I won't out of spite) that live in the PNW and they swore off wax as "doesn't work where I live, etc". I bought the entire Silca getup and couldn't be happier with it. I was a Synergetic user and absolutely hated the mess from one ride, chain and cassette covered in dark gray almost black gook. Have a few hundred miles on wax now and love it, it is SO quiet. I was aware of the complaints about the wax dandruff and did make sure to bust loose the links after the waxing and then just spun the drivetrain outdoors with the bike off the ground, blew the dandruff off and away I went.
I have the same wet weather experience, it works great for me. I've done some longer wet rides and the chain stays pretty silent. When I get home I rinse off and top up with Silca Super Secret. I do full immersion wax every 1k miles.
Old 04-24-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Yesterday, I was riding and heard a too loud clunk and thought it might be the Quicklink coming undone. Instead of getting off and turning the cranks to find the link and look at it, I reached down (at a light. I am not that good) and ran the chain through my hand to feel it. Seemed fine. Continued on my ride.
Try that with a lubed chain. You'd be clean grease off your hand for a week.
Is there any sort of residue like metal particles with a waxed chain over time? If it remains as clean as you suggest that's reason enough to abandon oil lubes.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:03 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
on the Forum? Praise NFS. You put it on, it works. You clean your chain, put it on, it works. Every once in a while you buy a new chain. Crock pot available for price of shipping.
Hi Eddie, if you haven't, you might want to read the testing done on NFS on Zero Friction Cycling.. he seemed to have some issues with it, esp compared to the Synergistic.. it's still very good for a wet lube though..

talked about here: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...ca-synergetic/

but, whatever works for you!
Old 04-24-2024, 03:41 PM

Let me know when you can quantify the difference...other than price / marketing hype

Silca Synergetic $49.95

NIXFRIXSHUN ULTIMATE BICYCLE CHAINLUBE $15.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
Hi Eddie, if you haven't, you might want to read the testing done on NFS on Zero Friction Cycling.. he seemed to have some issues with it, esp compared to the Synergistic.. it's still very good for a wet lube though..

talked about here: https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/p...ca-synergetic/

but, whatever works for you!

Last edited by eddief; 04-24-2024 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikg View Post
Is there any sort of residue like metal particles with a waxed chain over time? If it remains as clean as you suggest that's reason enough to abandon oil lubes.
I still came away with a bit of dirt on my hands, and a slightly waxing feeling (this was the first ride after a re-wax, which is why I worried about the link), but it was easy to brush off and it does stay that way. My go-to show and tell is to grab the chain and then open my hand to people. Eyes always pop open.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
I started using Synergetic a few months ago and the chain is silent, same as wax.
Application is super easy and I don't need acetone or mineral spirits or need to remove the chain from the bike. The only drawback is you don't want to touch the chain as it will leave black grime on your skin. Although the chain is still pretty quiet it is probably close to needing another application.
I've been touching chains for 40+ years and it's never been a problem. I work again in the industry as well. I keep things tidy and clean.

Glad I did it for a season, now I know. Same with road tubeless for me.

Last edited by charliedid; 04-24-2024 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:54 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Silca Synergetic $49.95

not sure where you saw the $49.95 for the Silca stuff, but it's more like $25.. and I've been using my bottle I got a LONG time as you don't use much of it.. have never used NFS though..
https://silca.cc/collections/chain-l...getic-wet-lube

as far as quantifying the difference, I would point you to the review I linked.. that dude is pretty well respected around these parts.. again, NFS is still 2nd best it looks like, so it's not like it's Muc-Off per the article..

Last edited by fourflys; 04-24-2024 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Silca Synergetic $49.95

It’s actually 25 dollars for an equivalent size bottle of silca. I ordered two bottles of nixfrixshun to try so will report back in a few months.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
It’s actually 25 dollars for an equivalent size bottle of silca. I ordered two bottles of nixfrixshun to try so will report back in a few months.
Maybe I'm really sensitive to odors, but after a ride, I couldn't drive home with the car windows closed if the bike was in the car. To the ride, never an issue. After, holy mother of god, the smell was awful. I can only figure that a couple of hours of heating the lube slightly cause it to release an odor it didn't cold. It was the reason I stopped using it. Went to the Silca synth lube, then to wax.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Maybe I'm really sensitive to odors, but after a ride, I couldn't drive home with the car windows closed if the bike was in the car. To the ride, never an issue. After, holy mother of god, the smell was awful. I can only figure that a couple of hours of heating the lube slightly cause it to release an odor it didn't cold. It was the reason I stopped using it. Went to the Silca synth lube, then to wax.
Synergetic is similar though I don’t think it is awful. I smell it after first application on the first ride when I pause in the heat. I can even smell it at times when going very slowly up a climb.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:25 PM

Ugh. I need to go find that crappy 10 dollar crockpot I bought ages ago...

No idea where it went, but I had originally bought it for this purpose before it vanished. Might have to go to a goodwill to find one!
Old 04-24-2024, 05:09 PM

I saw the price

in the the link you posted. at $25 it's within the realm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourflys View Post
not sure where you saw the $49.95 for the Silca stuff, but it's more like $25.. and I've been using my bottle I got a LONG time as you don't use much of it.. have never used NFS though..
https://silca.cc/collections/chain-l...getic-wet-lube

as far as quantifying the difference, I would point you to the review I linked.. that dude is pretty well respected around these parts.. again, NFS is still 2nd best it looks like, so it's not like it's Muc-Off per the article..
Old 04-24-2024, 05:15 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
in the the link you posted. at $25 it's within the realm.
it does say that in the article (never even looked at the price when I was reading it )

my little bottle is lasting me quite a while since you only put one drop on each link..