Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 03:05 PM

You can do the math and figure out the effect of a given amount of bike weight on a particular rack anyway.

But in any case this is the Paceline, get better bikes to bring down the effective tongue weight.

Realistically this should not be a problem unless you're carrying fat bikes or eBikes.

I have a 3-bike 1UP setup and my Subaru does fine with our 3 mountain bikes which are all porky.

Road bikes it's like there is nothing on the hitch.
Old 02-20-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Realistically this should not be a problem unless you're carrying fat bikes or eBikes.

Well...fat bikes are not named for their weight...my Spesh FatBoy weighs 31 lbs.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 02-21-2024, 10:32 AM

Tesla

Ya, looking at Tesla Y vs X. X has hitch standard with 120lb limit and 24 inch max.

I don’t foresee a huge use of rack in this car at moment. The kids use a Subaru crosstrek most of the time. Usually with just the base rack. But rare occasions call for the extension. Usually for more road bikes for race carpools. We’ve never put 4 MTB on it.

The bikes are all Paceline appropriate weight.

Jon
Old 02-21-2024, 10:44 AM

It is somewhat OT, but the receiver's condition and the vehicle's age can be a factor. My Kuat rack rides on the back of the travel trailer with bikes when we head north to Wyoming in the summer. I bought a clamp-on receiver with a 200# limit, which I come nowhere near with two bikes. If I'm headed somewhere with a bike, the hitch goes on my truck, which has a 2.5" receiver with a 2" sleeve. My Kuat rack can be adjusted for a tighter fit by turning the knob. If you have a sleeve in a larger receiver, the rack tightens against the sleeve, not the receiver, so any slop will cause the bikes to rock back and forth and bounce. Over the summer, I had a local machine shop weld a brand new 2" sleeve into the receiver so my rack would be held more securely. If I sell the truck, five minutes with a grinder, I can remove the sleeve.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:33 PM
n - 1

No wonder Tesla’s max out at 120lbs.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Ya, looking at Tesla Y vs X. X has hitch standard with 120lb limit and 24 inch max.
Have you pinged saab here? He has a tesla that he had a hitch put on he uses for a rack, I know...

Not sure which model he has though.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:44 PM

It looks like it plugs into the cigarette lighter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
No wonder Tesla’s max out at 120lbs.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:53 PM

I have a Model Y and a 1UP rack. I’ve carried two bikes on it many times with zero issue. The lighting attachment works when plugged in. Unrelated to Tesla, the 1UP light is gold IMHO. It’s quite visible and the bikes definitely interfere with seeing the car’s lights from behind. So I’m happy to have extra visibility when the bikes are on the car.

It is not out of the question for me to get a small teardrop trailer and pull that around as well.

I'd like to take the word here that the tongue limit is 120 lbs but that's false. The car is rated to tow 3500 lbs I believe. It’s not meant to be a heavy hauler but I had zero issues with the rack and bikes.

As to rumors and mockery and fake news about Tesla's tongue limits and load limits, here's the data from the actual source rather than someone's cousin's friend's neighbor who heard it in passing. Vertical load 160 lbs. Max tongue weight 350 lbs. We certainly can't let facts get in the way of a good story.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/m...C0CFA0C5C.html

Last edited by saab2000; 02-21-2024 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:11 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I'd like to take the word here that the tongue limit is 120 lbs but that's false. The car is rated to tow 3500 lbs I believe. It’s not meant to be a heavy hauler but I had zero issues with the rack and bikes.

As to rumors and mockery and fake news about Tesla's tongue limits and load limits, here's the data from the actual source rather than someone's cousin's friend's neighbor who heard it in passing. Vertical load 160 lbs. Max tongue weight 350 lbs. We certainly can't let facts get in the way of a good story.

Before Tesla owners blow a fuse, I think the OP clearly stated the 120lbs was for Model X.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/m...B04CE53BB.html
Old 02-21-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Before Tesla owners blow a fuse, I think the OP clearly stated the 120lbs was for Model X.

This is correct. 120 for accessories. I’m glad you actually referenced Tesla’s documentation rather than hearsay. I’m surprised at this lower number but hey, it’s correct. I’d still guess that a rack and bikes will fit this.

I’m guessing my rack is around 50 lbs, though I honestly don’t know and the two bikes pictured, together aren’t more than 60 lbs even with full water bottles.

Sorry for getting defensive. I just like facts to be presented rather than just hearsay. I actually don’t have a seat in the Tesla corner even though I’m an owner.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
Well...fat bikes are not named for their weight...my Spesh FatBoy weighs 31 lbs.
A 31lb bike of any sort is pretty dang heavy around these parts.

Mine is like 32-33lb or so. It certainly feels "fat" after getting off my road bike.
Old 02-21-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I have a Model Y and a 1UP rack. I’ve carried two bikes on it many times with zero issue. The lighting attachment works when plugged in. Unrelated to Tesla, the 1UP light is gold IMHO. It’s quite visible and the bikes definitely interfere with seeing the car’s lights from behind. So I’m happy to have extra visibility when the bikes are on the car.

It is not out of the question for me to get a small teardrop trailer and pull that around as well.

You seem to have the same 1UP rack I have, except I have the 3rd bike add-on.

On the Model Y you have no issues with clearance when the rack is folded up and don't need an extension on the OEM receiver?
Old 02-21-2024, 01:35 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Quote:

Nice, I'm extra happy I went with the aftermarket StealthHitch even more now....

Old 02-21-2024, 01:52 PM
n - 1

Quote:
This is correct. 120 for accessories. I’m glad you actually referenced Tesla’s documentation rather than hearsay. I’m surprised at this lower number but hey, it’s correct. I’d still guess that a rack and bikes will fit this.

I’m guessing my rack is around 50 lbs, though I honestly don’t know and the two bikes pictured, together aren’t more than 60 lbs even with full water bottles.

Sorry for getting defensive. I just like facts to be presented rather than just hearsay. I actually don’t have a seat in the Tesla corner even though I’m an owner.

Your rack is 47-48lbs, I believe (per 1Up). That leaves you 110lbs for the two bikes which is plenty even for e-bikes.
But what I’m not sure of is the 24” requirement. Is that from the hitch receiver to the end of the cargo? (The rack, in this instance). Or to the point where the weight is concentrated?
Old 02-21-2024, 01:59 PM

The lighter Tesla ratings are most likely related to reduced handling due to the front wheels being "lightened" by the levered weight of the hitch due to no engine. Its not an issue of can the frame and hitch handle the weight but can you properly steer the vehicle in an emergency with that weight on the back.