Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Tire Storage

I just received five tires in the mail (thanks Steve!) and probably won't be using most of them until next year (as I'm a one bike kind of guy). Odd question, perhaps, but does it make any difference if tires are stored folded or not while I sotre them? (I assume not, since they can sit on the shelf in the shop folded). Any other tricks? Put them in the freezer with the coffee beans etc?

Mountain Bike
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 AM

protect them from light and ozone which is generated by electric motors among other things. Don't put them in closet with your heat/ac unit.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:11 AM

Good question. I just bought a NOS Pinarello, it's about 5-6 years old, so are it's tires. I told the shop owner to replace the tubes and tires and he looked at me oddly. I offered, "Dude, I plan on avoiding a flat, doing 50 mph downhill and don't need to wonder how the tubes or tires dried out sitting around for five years, replace them period."

I also take my three season tires off my car for the winter. I wipe them down with 'Gummi Pflege' (German for 'rubber care'); it's the most serious/real element you can put onto rubber (german car's door seals are targeted bigtime). Gummi Pflege is something I'd feel confident wiping onto a tire that would be sitting around for a long period. My Michelin Pilot Sports are $265.00 each, it'd be nice to assist them for 3-4 months in staying healthy atmo. Atmo, most folks would prolly just leave the bike tires on a shelf, in the home.

atmo:

http://www.z3bimmer.com/OffTopic/E24Bimmer/Gummi/

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/einsz...are-stick.html