Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 09:14 PM
ZhugeLiang

Unhappy Just saw this in local news today

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...jIszvfDMKKxRL/

https://www.outsideonline.com/228255...s-in-collision

http://kxan.com/2018/02/17/car-crash...n-to-hospital/

AUSTIN (KXAN) – Outside Magazine is reporting that a cyclist who died after being struck by a car near Lake Travis Saturday morning was one of their contributors.

The magazine says that Andrew Tilin, 52, was riding his bicycle in a group ride on Ranch to Market 620 near Marshall Ford Road when his bicycle had a flat tire and he pulled off the road to fix it. They said a passing vehicle skidded on slick pavement, hit another vehicle, which in turn struck Tilin.

Last edited by weisan; 02-18-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:50 PM

Wow...
Old 02-18-2018, 01:17 AM

Just heard this as well. Ugh.....620 is such a terrible place to ride. You are inches from 60mph cars.....coming from LA it reminded me of PCH, without the views or eventual benefit of lesser traffic the further you go.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:27 AM

Wow, this really is sad. What a strange, crazy set of events that led to his death.

I've always been concerned about reduced bike control (and not wanting to dirty up my bikes) on wet, slick streets, but hadn't considered the reduced amount of control that the cars around me might have. Just one more reason to find something else to do besides riding on wet days..

Condolences to his family.

Texbike
Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Administrator

two kids too, very sad news.

i'm always sketched out riding on roads that have a high speed limit, even if the shoulder is very wide. the amount of energy at play with cars in the 60+ mph zone is enormous, as is evidenced by the knock-on effect that lead to this terrible tragedy.

be careful out there guys.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 AM

extremely sad news.

riding in the wet has never appealed for a number of reasons...the levels of safety and comfort that are sacrificed just don't make it worth it.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM

Read the comments in the third link Weisan shared to get a pulse on the humanity of many of the folks driving around you. Sick.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
Read the comments in the third link Weisan shared to get a pulse on the humanity of many of the folks driving around you. Sick.
Bizarre. Why is there a smiley face on this thread?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM
Member?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati2 View Post
After reading the comments, I have to quote a recent thread title: "People are Scumbags".
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 AM
kg

This is a small thing, but we are left with small things: please move as far off the shoulder of the road when stopped and consider using daytime running lights as well as the brightest clothing available.

By some providence, Andrew saved many of his friends lives on Saturday. Some portion of the group would normally stop together for a puncture. He waved them on. I understand the debris field was wide enough that anyone in the area would have been hit.

Andrew will be deeply missed.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:33 AM

Beyond sad.

I find myself riding less and less on pavement, and more and more on dirt, for this very reason. I'm relatively young (36), so I'll defer to those with more experience, but I feel that road cycling gets more and more dangerous each year. Larger cars, crumbling roads, and more animosity between cyclists and drivers.

Although it seems a little trendy now, I'm hopeful that gravel riding continues to explode and that access to, and discover of gravel trails grows as well.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:11 AM

Ted,
I've been riding since you were six years old and there is no doubt in my mind that safety on the road has gone down.

Sadly...I suspect it will continue do so.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshell View Post
Ted,
I've been riding since you were six years old and there is no doubt in my mind that safety on the road has gone down.

Sadly...I suspect it will continue do so.
Even as a relative newcomer to the Paceline forums, I can tell that the overwhelming majority of members are road cyclists. Riding almost exclusively mountain bikes, I'm clearly in the minority.

To be honest I just got tired of feeling side view mirrors inches from my hip, the threat of getting "doored", and overzealous right hand turns without properly looking over their shoulder.

Although I detest the fact that I have to drive to my local bike trails, I love spending my time worrying about trees and not drivers :-)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:29 PM

I like mountain biking but I love road riding. When I see stories like this it does make me pause for a bit but I don't think I can give up road riding all together. Just a tragic story. Without a flat he is alive today. Did nothing wrong, just horrible luck. Sending prayers to his family and friends.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:40 PM

If the only places I had to ride were highways like this, I'd probably not be a road cyclist.

But I think the main take away here is that no one did anything wrong. This wasn't a visibility issue, or aggressive drivers, or narrow shoulders. A driver lost control of his car, hit another car and a pedestrian standing next to his bike. And that could happen to anyone.