Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 10:11 AM

Here is my take from a very biased Colnago fan, you have some very very nice bikes in titanium and steel and the C59 is an equivalent level bike in carbon fiber. It won't be the same as your ti and steel bikes which is a good thing because you already own those so why duplicate what you already have? Not all carbon fiber is the same but the C59 will represent carbon fiber done on a similar level to what you are used to riding in your other materials. Besides material, you will also experience Colnago's approach to building a bike regarding geometry which a lot of people like and some that don't and that is ok, you can decide for yourself if it delivers what you like in how a bike feels.

I have owned a C40 (B-stay version just before the C40 B-stay HP) and then the first generation C50 HP and now a C59. I happened to be at the Taipei Bike Show when the C60 was unveiled but the day before I left for that trip I paid for the ring I had made to propose to my now wife. I remind her pretty frequently that she is wearing my C60 on her finger (and then let her know that I made the right choice) and I have not spent any quality time on the C60 so I can't comment on it from any real experience. The C59 for me does what any great bike should, it feels great just cruising along casually but any modern bike should be able to accomplish that because we are really living in a time of lots of amazingly good bikes. Where I think all of my Colnago's have shined is that the faster or harder or more demands you put into it the better it gets. To this day I am still impressed by how incredible it feels and responds the harder the ride gets whether that be flat out speed in a group, climbing at the limit or the amazing stability the faster a descent gets it just does everything well. Truly, the only limitations are the engine in my case. I would personally recommend going for it and experiencing it for yourself.

I did mention to my wife that the C64 was just introduced . . . She looked down at her ring and said that a matching necklace would be a nice anniversary present but she understood that the necklace would have to wait!
Old 02-16-2018, 10:13 AM

I ride mostly old steel bikes but have a C40 and an EPS (precursor to the C59). I was shopping for a C59 but the EPS was too good a deal to turn down. I'm very happy with it. Mine is a sloping geometry and it feels different from my other bikes, I think primarily because of the large and tall head tube.

I would definitely go for it in your shoes. I think lugged carbon is where it's at and a C59 would make a wonderful complimentary addition to a steel and Ti bike collection. what I know of the C59 (researching it while shopping for one) and experienced with the EPS, is that it will be a comfortable, light, do everything bike.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:32 AM

I like steel I like carbon

I love my steel '96 vintage DeRosa but have also thoroughly enjoyed the carbon bikes I have had the pleasure to have owned including my current top ride, a C60.

Carbon is different than steel and you'll notice it but for the type of riding you do and age - you're almost identical to me, you'll really enjoy it.

So...

Just Do It!
Old 02-16-2018, 04:35 PM

Some very helpful insight! Have done quite a bit of research and can’t find any negative feedback on this frame but value the option of this forum the most. As mentioned, guess I got the carbon bug and wanting to make the right decision. Have narrowed it down to the C59 and Look 585 but most 585s are well ridden,have found a couple 59 demo bikes in my size so hope to travel to see the frame in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help
Old 02-16-2018, 04:56 PM
Picshooter

You won't go wrong with either one. With the correct fit I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
Some very helpful insight! Have done quite a bit of research and can’t find any negative feedback on this frame but value the option of this forum the most. As mentioned, guess I got the carbon bug and wanting to make the right decision. Have narrowed it down to the C59 and Look 585 but most 585s are well ridden,have found a couple 59 demo bikes in my size so hope to travel to see the frame in a couple weeks. Thanks for your help
Old 02-16-2018, 06:50 PM

You will never know unless you go for it. Many here have added carbon to their stable and most have been very happy.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlC View Post
If it's a sloping TT pass, if is traditional TT and a color you like it's a keeper.
Second that!

The C59 is the last model that offers a horizontal top tube in my size. Not sure I’ll upgrade from my C50.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:12 AM

I agree with the above posters. If the frame is a good fit for you it would be great to try it. Adding a carbon frame to your collection could be great. I am no expert on anything Colnago. My personal experience is that although a race bike, the C bikes balance comfort and performance. My C60 feels less aggressive than top of the line Pinarello's and some other monocoque race frames, but this in no way keeps me from going faster. I think many Colnago frames have a timeless appeal as opposed to many other older frames that look dated. Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:35 AM

I've primarily ridden my C59 for the past 3 years and no plans to "upgrade" to a C60 or C64.
My only beef is I can't run a Conti 25 in the front, too tight. I'm sure a tire that measured a true 25mm would be fine.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan View Post
Give it a try.

Is ok if you don't like it.

No guarantee. not even colnago.
I think Colnago is the exception!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I think Colnago is the exception!
yep i would have to agree with you. the only big company that has stood the test of time. great for them.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:38 AM

I'm curious what a demo C59 goes for
Old 02-17-2018, 02:10 PM

The one I’m looking at is $2250
Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booglebug View Post
The one I’m looking at is $2250
That's just for the frame set or the full bike ?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub View Post
I've primarily ridden my C59 for the past 3 years and no plans to "upgrade" to a C60 or C64.
My only beef is I can't run a Conti 25 in the front, too tight. I'm sure a tire that measured a true 25mm would be fine.
I'm running Conti 4000S 25mm tires on my C50. Clearance is pretty tight both front and rear...but they do fit.

I'm running Campy Eurus wheels, maybe a difference in rim width?