Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2018, 12:45 PM
mentholated

the best ride in la is getting drunk in the alley at golden saddle.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:28 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
PCH > Topanga > Old Topanga > Mulholland > Cold Canyon Rd > Piuma > Schueren > Saddle Peak > Tuna > Fernwood > Topanga

or

PCH > Topanga > Old Topanga > Mulholland > PCH

or

PCH > Latigo > Kanan Dume > Mulholland (south) > Rockstore Descent > Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon > PCH

or

Nichols Canyon Ride

or

Nichols Cyn > Mulholland (east) > Lake Ridge > Wonder View > Lake Hollywood > Tahoe Dr > Canyon Lake Dr > Ledgewood > Rockcliff Dr > Deronda > Mt Lee Dr > Hollywood Sign > Deronda > Ledgewood > Beachwood Cyn > Franklin Ave > Home

or

PCH > Malibu Cyn > Piuma > Schueren > Stunt > Mulholland > Old Topanga > Topanga > PCH

or

San Vicente > 26th/Allenford > Sunset > Mandeville Cyn > Sunset > Rockingham > 26th > San Vicente > Beach Path > Done

or

If you're free on a Saturday. 7th/Montana 7:30am is a large/fast ride up PCH with the likes of Zabriski, Gaimon, etc.
Those guys would drop me in less than 5 minutes ahah. This will be a slow ride for me, very slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Pics please when it happens - living vicariously I must..
There will be pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Given your stated qualifier — the 1 ride you should do — I agree with Angry et al, Glendora Mountain/Glendora Ridge with the option of including the ski lifts depending on fitness would be it. Although honorable mention to Angeles Crest Highway->Angeles Forest Highway->Mt. Gleeson->Upper Big Tujunga with a detour up Mt. Wilson.

But assuming you don't want to drive to ride, seem enthusiastic about PCH (I ride it almost every weekend but IMO there's little to enjoy), and your stated mileage + elevation range, there's a clear answer:

https://www.strava.com/routes/6209446

This route starts at the Santa Monica pier, gives you a ~16 mile chunk of PCH through the town of Malibu, then up Latigo Canyon, one of the nicest climbs off the coast (~10 miles total, actually two climbs and two short descents). After a short connector on Kanan Dune you turn onto Mulholland Highway, enjoy a thrilling descent down "the snake" (caution: keep well onto your side of the road, cars and motorcycles come up fast the other way), and past the Rock Store.

Next you get a few nice miles of rollers on Mulholland, a fun little descent section on Cold Canyon, then a lovely 5 mile climb on Piuma Rd and then a short section getting you to Saddle Peak with gorgeous views of both the ocean and the entire basin. Finally, close with an isolated one-way descent down Tuna Canyon (watch your speed, it's steeper than it looks) and a short return on PCH. If you're into that kind of thing, the Rapha clubhouse is only a couple of blocks from your starting point and they make good coffee.

OTOH, if you're looking for a healthier dose of suffering, then I can give you a route that includes Las Flores…plus a bit of dirt off Big Rock.

Feel free to PM if you're looking for a riding partner, though it's rare for me to get out on a weekday. In addition to Helen's, if you're partial to Specialized you can rent at Cynergy Cycles.
That looks awesome and seems like most rides are a variation of this which is a good thing and makes my life easy, don't think I need to look anymore

My ride will be during the week for sure, wedding is on Friday and will be too hangover on Saturday and back out east on Sunday. I am hopping maybe I can ride 2 days since wife has to work from home 2 days we will see.

Now to find a place that rents a nice bike around venice.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:33 PM

Sub'ed. Definitely planning on hitting some of these routes! Especially that drinking in the alley ride.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:39 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
That looks awesome and seems like most rides are a variation of this which is a good thing and makes my life easy, don't think I need to look anymore

My ride will be during the week for sure, wedding is on Friday and will be too hangover on Saturday and back out east on Sunday. I am hopping maybe I can ride 2 days since wife has to work from home 2 days we will see.

Now to find a place that rents a nice bike around venice.
Glad to help; there are a couple of easy bailout options if you're not feeling the second climb, happy to describe in detail.

Don't bother looking in Venice — Helen's & Cynergy are a short Lyft away. Just make sure you double check the contents of the saddle pack — once had to give a tube to someone who had rented from Helen's, flatted, and discovered that they'd put a 28 tube when the bike had 25s.

Also, in case you can fit a 55 I may have a nice loaner for you, PM if that's in your size range. I'm 6-7 miles east of Venice, easy ride.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:40 PM

I’m on the eastern parts. Sadly I’ve only had time to do my little 5.5 mile San Marino / Pasadena residential loop or the rose bowl. But some local routes I have heard of and are woefully ignorant of include arroyo Seco, maybe to Long Beach? CA 39, San Gabriel path to Long Beach. There’s the Montrose ride that goes by JPL? Glendora Mountain Road and Mount Baldy?
Old 02-11-2018, 02:55 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Glad to help; there are a couple of easy bailout options if you're not feeling the second climb, happy to describe in detail.

Don't bother looking in Venice — Helen's & Cynergy are a short Lyft away. Just make sure you double check the contents of the saddle pack — once had to give a tube to someone who had rented from Helen's, flatted, and discovered that they'd put a 28 tube when the bike had 25s.

Also, in case you can fit a 55 I may have a nice loaner for you, PM if that's in your size range. I'm 6-7 miles east of Venice, easy ride.
Im a 57/58 but I trully appreciate the offer.

Looking st Helens and Cynergy now. Would love to rent something cool and different than I already have. Maybe a canyon?
Old 02-11-2018, 03:04 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
No worries, it's just sitting here waiting for the weather in other climates and prices to rise so I can list it for sale.

Quote:
Looking st Helens and Cynergy now. Would love to rent something cool and different than I already have. Maybe a canyon?
Not something I've investigated closely, but the only place I know of with Canyons is the Rapha clubhouse and the bikes are only available to members. Cheap, too, at $25/day…once you've paid the $200 membership fee.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:

When you go to Cynergy speak to Kollbi (store manager, good friend).
Whomever you rent from do yourself a favor and bring your own saddle + pedals.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTHBROOKS View Post
the best ride in la is getting drunk in the alley at golden saddle.
Or the Cub House if you want a more patrician environment.

As for GMR, um, the only advantage over any other mountain range in California, may be the lack of cars. There's definitely less traffic than HWY 2. But one of the reasons, there aren't many cars on that mountain is that it's basically a barren wasteland that doesn't lead to any desirable destinations. IMHO, there's more to climbing than just uninterrupted pedaling. But if that's one's jam, then East Fork to Cloudburst isn't too bad.

Re, stay in the Santa Monicas. For future reference, tho, look into the Circle of Doom route. That one is aight.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
As for GMR, um, the only advantage over any other mountain range in California, may be the lack of cars. There's definitely less traffic than HWY 2. But one of the reasons, there aren't many cars on that mountain is that it's basically a barren wasteland that doesn't lead to any desirable destinations. IMHO, there's more to climbing than just uninterrupted pedaling.
... one man's wasteland is another man's idea of serenity

GMR is certainly not as scenic as mountain climbs in the CA Sierras or CO Rockies, but the front range of the San Gabriels, together with the deep valley behind, and the snow capped Mt Baldy Peak (especially in LA's crisp clear blue winter sun) calling for you the entire 30 mile car free climb, doesn't get much better for urban riding.

I grew up a few miles form the base of GMR and cut my teeth riding GMR on a 42/21 (didn't know any better....besides my Nouvo Record cranks could only handle a 42T). I guess as a former local I will always favor GMR over the Santa Monicas. But if u r in Venice and don't have access to a car, then Santa Monica mtns are the best choice.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 PM
mentholated

the cubhouse has a better coffee selection. but whether your jittery from the neutral support espresso shots or blurry eyed from one too many clubs you can still purchase my embroidered wares at either location.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 PM

of note abloc in highland park schedules rides. I have not been on any tbh, day-job hour issues, but supposedly no-drop.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:09 AM

what dates are you in LA?

i know it's a drive, but, consider this another vote for GMR.

GMR to Glendora Ridge Rd, head down Mt. Baldy and complete the loop on surface streets.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by benito View Post
what dates are you in LA?

i know it's a drive, but, consider this another vote for GMR.

GMR to Glendora Ridge Rd, head down Mt. Baldy and complete the loop on surface streets.
Last week in March.

I was initially going to get a car but it would really be a waste of money. We got an air bnb by abbot kinney so that we have a bunch of stuff around. If we need to drive we can borrow a friends car but not sure they would be cool for me to take their car for the whole day, specially during the week while they are planning their wedding
Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 AM

My vote is to base out of your location, not drive anywhere far.

If you are going to do 2 rides, head north one day and climb the canyons in Malibu. Your second ride could be heading south to Palos Verdes, where you can do some climbing there. Oh, along the way to PV, don’t forget to hit the strand in Hermosa to check out the pro female volleyball players practicing in their bikinis.

Depending on day and time, I may be able to join you for the southern route, if you so choose. You’d ride right by my place if your heading south from Venice.