Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-2023, 10:21 AM

Expensive helmets... What's the deal?

Howdy, everyone. When I was a teenager in the '90s, shopping for my first "real" bike, the guy at the store told me to just get the cheapest helmet that fit. His logic was basically that all helmets protect your head exactly the same - it would be super awful if people without a lot of money would be denied adequate protection! So, with that in mind, I've always worn pretty cheap helmets. I'm pretty sure I've never paid more than $70 for one.

After a few of years of faithful service, it's definitely time to replace my current helmet, and I have no idea where to start. I'm looking around, and there are apparently helmets selling for over $300??? What?

So my question is, what on earth is the benefit of these ultra-expensive helmets? Is it just weight, or is there some other benefit I'm missing? For those of us that aren't competition racers, can I safely ignore these boutique items, or are there real benefits I should be taking advantage of? Your experiences and feedback welcomed.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:25 AM

You're paying for the weight, ventilation, and aerodynamics. Materials can be finished a bit better on the more expensive helmets, but not major differences.
As a starting point, I'd look for something with MIPS or similar rotational protections. These can be had starting at $50... From there up you're just paying for styling and the details.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:34 AM

With nothing to back this up, I'd think that in a less expensive helmet you're getting safety that's a few years old. It worked then, it works now. But it will lack the improvements of the last few years.
And yes, lack the styling, ventilation, lighter weight of a more pricey one.

The idea that you won't get less protected with a cheaper product isn't going to hold up very well if you look at it closely.
You get basic safety with a basic helmet.
There was an ad for Bell, I think, that had a kid sitting there with $100 (at the time) Jordans on and a $5 helmet. Priorities.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:44 AM

My Bell Gage helmet was going on 9 years old and I have been lusting after a MET Trenta helmet. It was not available with CPSC approval. Finally after waiting for over a year it became available. It was $300 and I did not even think twice about it. If it lasts 10 years that will be $30 a year. It is not an aero helmet but more aero than my old Gage. It fits better and I love the way it looks and is probably safer. Bought one for my wife too and she also likes it.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:50 AM

From a materials/manufacturing standpoint, there is no substantial difference between a bicycle helmet and a styrofoam cooler that Walmart sells for about 5 USD. There is some money spent on getting the design to pass safety tests and liability insurance. I see almost no reason for the most expensive helmet in a company’s range to cost any more than the cheapest helmet at retail. They spend a fair amount in marketing to differentiate the models and justify the cost difference. They could just as easily manufacture their best helmet and sell it at essentially the same cost as their cheapest model, but the differentiation model calls for them to withhold features from the cheaper models to justify the difference.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:14 AM

More expensive helmets tend to have better retention systems that hold the helmet more securely while also being more comfortable.

More expensive helmets tend to have better ventilation, which can make the helmet more comfortable in the heat.

More expensive helmets tend to be lighter, which can make the helmet more comfortable on long days.

More expensive helmets tend to have a better aerodynamic profile, which can make you faster.

None of these things are absolute rules, and the most important thing is that the helmet fits you well. I personally have been very happy with helmets with an MSRP in the $150-200 range, often found on sale for $75-125. I prefer these to the truly "cheap" helmets, but there are surely diminishing returns the more money you spend (which is not to say that someone with the money could not find a $300 helmet worth it).
Old 01-29-2023, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I personally have been very happy with helmets with an MSRP in the $150-200 range, often found on sale for $75-125.
I agree with this approach. The mid range helmets are as good as anyone needs and can be had on sale as long as you dont want/need the latest color or model, etc. They do all fit a bit different though, so you may need to try on a few before finding the right one.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:04 PM

I'm cheap. As far as I have experienced, the pricier helmets are more comfortable. Above $70, I'm not willing to buy any more comfort.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:05 PM

10 years for a bicycle helmet? That seems well beyond the urban legend of 3 years or whatever. Generally I keep them 4-5 years. How long are you guys wearing helmets now days?
Old 01-29-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej View Post
10 years for a bicycle helmet? That seems well beyond the urban legend of 3 years or whatever. Generally I keep them 4-5 years. How long are you guys wearing helmets now days?
Most helmet manufacturers recommend replacement within 5 years.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
More expensive helmets tend to have better retention systems that hold the helmet more securely while also being more comfortable.

More expensive helmets tend to have better ventilation, which can make the helmet more comfortable in the heat.

More expensive helmets tend to be lighter, which can make the helmet more comfortable on long days.

More expensive helmets tend to have a better aerodynamic profile, which can make you faster.
This. I wear a Kask Protone (have 2). I think I bought them on sale but still would pay $300 for it. It disappears on my head and that alone is worth the price. same can be said for high quality shoes.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
This. I wear a Kask Protone (have 2). I think I bought them on sale but still would pay $300 for it. It disappears on my head and that alone is worth the price. same can be said for high quality shoes.
Agree with this totally. First time I put on a really nice helmet that fit well it was a revelation. It might feel a little silly to spend $200+ on a helmet, but with the amount of time it spends on your head, getting something that fits really, really well is worth it. Much like my saddle, I think it varies from person to person. I found Giro fits me best and I'll never buy anything else again. That said, I never pay full price. When new designs are released every year, you can usually find deeply discounted, brand new helmets in the colors that nobody wanted on eBay or from online retailers.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:43 PM

Reminds me of the old saying in my motorcycling days; "If you have a $30 head, wear a $30 helmet."

I've had a couple Protone's and recently tried the Abus AirBreaker. It made the Protone feel heavy, hot and bulky.

YRMV.

I'll pay for quality & comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbowlpats View Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:00 PM

my head's is pretty valuable to me, so spending a couple hundo on a helmet that fits nicely and looks good seems reasonable.

if you treat them right and don't crash, they can last a long time.

over the years, I've spent WAY more on tires than helmets. compared to groupsets, wheels, etc the cost of a lid is just in the noise...
Old 01-29-2023, 01:02 PM

I've gotten my last 2 from forum sponsor bike tires direct at 50+% off, so there's that, one was 250 list for 99 and the other came out 55 off of 200 list..