Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-30-2023, 07:13 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Maybe on both but sometimes I just like to yankyer chain about yer love for SRAM...
No problema dude, it's about bike toys after all ...
Old 01-30-2023, 09:42 AM

SRAM said I'm SOL.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripmaster View Post
SRAM said I'm SOL.
That’s sad.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkycalvin View Post
That’s sad.
SRAM dropped 11 speed etap in 2019? Are they supposed to warranty it forever? Consumers have unrealistic expectations on these companies for products that are years old.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:46 AM

Replacement bits would be nice. Not asking for warranty; asking to be able to repair it. For a top of the line product, you expect to be able to run it for a while. This failure may not be not unheard of, judging from photos of FDs on eBay being sold.

The fact that there may be a solution with a pivot screw feels like something SRAM should tell their "SOL" customers.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:19 AM

Gotta buy Campag for that. SRAM never really ever offered spare parts unless you find the random lever blade or shift ratchet assembly on ebay. Any warranty work we would do for SRAM and Shimano was always a full replacement. We didn't even have access to small parts. Electronic shift components are even worse, the entire thing gets binned 95% of the time due to being unresponsive for whatever reason.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
Gotta buy Campag for that. SRAM never really ever offered spare parts unless you find the random lever blade or shift ratchet assembly on ebay. Any warranty work we would do for SRAM and Shimano was always a full replacement. We didn't even have access to small parts. Electronic shift components are even worse, the entire thing gets binned 95% of the time due to being unresponsive for whatever reason.
I hear ya. Supposedly I may get a solution from a world tour service course insider. It's probably the solution I found w a pivot screw... :-(
Old 01-31-2023, 01:13 PM

I would try to use a 3mm bolt and nut with a sleeve that has a lip on it on it to make the top end 4mm.
OR a 4mm bolt with the end turned down to 3mm and threaded to fit the smaller nut.
Both would probably need to be made custom with a lathe.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:07 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
SRAM said I'm SOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
SRAM dropped 11 speed etap in 2019? Are they supposed to warranty it forever? Consumers have unrealistic expectations on these companies for products that are years old.
3-4 years old aren't 'years old', particularly when the company makes a conscious decision to design and build a 'replacement' that is not compatible with the models preceding it. 3-4 years isn't 'forever'....

Pretty tiresome that the 'solution' for that busted fder is a whole new drivetrain.
Which is what the manufacturer wants to force the consumer to do.

Pretty sure you can still find small parts for 10s shimano and Campagnolo. Maybe even 9s. Small parts for Campagnolo Record hubs will be available for a long time(more than 3-4 years)..I can still get ERGO 10s innards even tho the last 10s, rounded top, pre GUMBY ERGO was sold in 2008...(that's 15 years, BTW)...

For the OP, if ya can't fix or replace the fder, might be a good time to look at either the other 'S' group or maybe the 'C' group....
Old 02-01-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Pretty tiresome that the 'solution' for that busted fder is a whole new drivetrain.
Which is what the manufacturer wants to force the consumer to do.
It's sad to see bike parts/groups (and the finger is pointed at the you, SRAM) becoming like iPhones; just get a new one every year.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:41 PM

Maybe the 6 complete ETap 11 HRD groups I have hoarded ( 2 installed on bikes )
may be worth a lot of money one day ( kind of like my Rolex submariner that I sold last year )….
Old 02-02-2023, 05:45 PM

Two things:

1. You're blessed it's the bottom pin and not the top pin, the top pin is a nightmare to get back in.

2. The top pin and the bottom are the same in circumference, they just differ in length. Worst case scenario you could go to a machine shop and have it made — but if you get a replacement part from SRAM you will also need the circlips that go on the end which stop it from popping out again.
Old 02-10-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyatt View Post
Two things:

1. You're blessed it's the bottom pin and not the top pin, the top pin is a nightmare to get back in.

2. The top pin and the bottom are the same in circumference, they just differ in length. Worst case scenario you could go to a machine shop and have it made — but if you get a replacement part from SRAM you will also need the circlips that go on the end which stop it from popping out again.
Machine shop is the way I am going to try.
Old 02-21-2023, 09:42 AM

I ended up bringing another SRAM Red etap FD to a local machine shop, and they fabricated a pin for me. It's the smallest thing they could fab, a little rough on finish but that (+ 1/8" e clip - suspect that's what broke/slipped off) solved the problem.

It was a $150 fix (+$60 for the LBS bike hack that kept me on the road) but better than buying a $400 used FD on ebay.
Old 02-21-2023, 12:34 PM

Post a picture of the pin they made. I suppose this can be an alternative