Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-25-2023, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Quite the tony area especially these days, neighbors include Frank Gehry
Interesting, did not know that! My buddy’s dad is an architect but he made a living in LA as a property developer, moved away around 1990. He lives a couple miles away from me now, so I’ll ask next time I see him.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:38 PM
Tired Member

As a person who ran in this neighborhood, this is intimidating. It's not the way up, but the way down that is hard. Nick is relatively light. It would crush my knees on the way down because I'm bigger.

I've attached an alternative run. I've done all parts of it.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41864121
San Vicente is very popular, and you can run down the median.

Quote:
I made this route for Nick but figured I'd post it here as a public service. In that spirit I think it best to provide some guidance to prepare you for what you'll encounter. The route starts at Rapha in Santa Monica, mostly because that's my default starting point but also maybe you want a coffee, some retail therapy, or to visit with some MAMILs before or after your run.

Route:https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41854878

Mile 0.5: stay on the pedestrian walkway to descend the California incline, be aware of cyclists and other vehicle types (and inattentive tourists gawking at the Pacific), once you're on the beach path stay on the pedestrian side until …
Mile 1.9: descend the stairs and go through the tunnel to cross under PCH (apologies for the odor, may remind you of the NYC subway)
Mile 2.2: for the bulk of the remainder, the sidewalk is intermittent so just plan to run in the street, not as dangerous as it sounds
Mile 3.9: the road appears to end but there is a path over a bridge and through a gate that allows you to continue
Mile 4.0: unfortunately, you have a tenth of a mile along Sunset Blvd. to get to the road that enters Will Rogers. There might be sidewalk, I don't know.
Mile 4.9: beginning of the dirt and a scenic loop around Inspiration Point.
Mile 7.6: while it looks like you're about to turn onto Sunset, to your right there's a single track that brings you back into Will Rogers.
Mile 8.6: again, that same 0.1 mile along Sunset that brings you back to the gated bridge
Mile 10.2: as a final leg burner, a set of stairs that bring you up to the bluff above Santa Monica canyon, very popular workout spot

Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2023, 04:51 PM
#RYFB

I defer to someone who has actually run it, though based on riding it I don't recall any steep gradients.
Tim neglects to mention that his route takes you past the famous O.J. house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
San Vicente is very popular, and you can run down the median.
True, and although there's quite a bit of vehicular traffic on either side of you, the noxious fumes you're breathing are generally coming from a higher class of automobiles.

Kidding (not kidding).

Last edited by cgolvin; 01-25-2023 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:36 AM
Tired Member

Quote:
I defer to someone who has actually run it, though based on riding it I don't recall any steep gradients.
Tim neglects to mention that his route takes you past the famous O.J. house.

True, and although there's quite a bit of vehicular traffic on either side of you, the noxious fumes you're breathing are generally coming from a higher class of automobiles.

Kidding (not kidding).
Yeah, SV is boring if you're on a bike as it's a traverse from decent neighborhood riding to another spot. It's a good place to run as it's got good lines of sight.

I NEVER knew I went by the OJ house.
FWIW, Betty White's house was a few doors down from the Oakmont/Rockingham intersection on Cliffwood. They ripped it down last month, though: https://people.com/home/betty-white-...sary-of-death/
Old 01-26-2023, 03:00 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tctyres View Post
FWIW, Betty White's house was a few doors down from the Oakmont/Rockingham intersection on Cliffwood. They ripped it down last month, though
As you well know, probability of any original house in that neighborhood (or many others) surviving post sale: less than epsilon. "Land value" indeed. The guest house they build will likely be 3,000 sq. ft.