Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2022, 06:15 PM

Tubeless repairs....

Had a puncture on a pretty new P-Zero tubeless tire this AM. Sealant didn't plug it so I put two Dyna plugs in to seal it before inflating. Seems to hold air fine.

Q: Anyone ever pull or trim the plug and 'repair' the tire from inside via patch, glue, other?

I don't like to ride tires that are compromised and also hate to toss away a tire w/a lot of life remaining.

Must be a reasonable / reliable fix?

First world problems..........
Old 10-18-2022, 06:19 PM
n - 1

I do for mountain bikes but also make it a note to put the tire in the rear (if a front flat).

Road tires….nope. Toss. Figure it’s lot less painful and cheaper than doctor visit.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:22 PM

Just leave it alone and it will be fine
Old 10-18-2022, 06:24 PM
Administrator

I wouldnt ride around on a road tire with plugs in it. that's just asking for a headache down the road.

I have a kit very similar to the below and have used it on a gravel tire with success. The key is to get the spot nice and clean, alcohol prep and get the patch well adhered. should be perfectly fine for any tubeless tire.

https://www.amazon.com/Hutchinson-Re...KDC?th=1&psc=1
Old 10-18-2022, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
I wouldnt ride around on a road tire with plugs in it. that's just asking for a headache down the road.
What makes you say it’s asking for a headache? Personal experience? Spitballing? The Dynaplug is a permanent repair, you just like… leave it there.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:51 PM

I've run a road tubeless quite a while with a plug. I never got around to trimming it and eventually it pulled out while using a trainer like a dummy.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
What makes you say it’s asking for a headache? Personal experience? Spitballing? The Dynaplug is a permanent repair, you just like… leave it there.
I prefer giving myself the best possible chance to avoid a headache with tubeless set-ups out on the road, and i've had my fair share this year! I also would not run a car or motorcycle tire long term with a plug in it, but have had both patched (post plugging) with a proper internal patch. Road tubeless operates at pretty high pressure and the tire casings are pretty thin, so IMO, that's asking for another leak/failure.

Also, straight from the dynaplug page:

Quote:
1. Is the Dynaplug® repair permanent?
The plug material makes a permanent repair when one tire repair plug is used and the puncture is made by an object no larger than a 16d (16 penny) common nail.
And the OP already stated he needed to use two plugs to get the leak to seal, so it's a no brainer to not continue to use that tire with two plugs in it, IMO.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:49 PM

Caveat: I don't so road tubeless, so my gravel experience might not translate. That said, I'd pull the plugs and patch from the inside. Working fine on 47s at 38ish psi.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:57 PM

I run the rear at 70psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Caveat: I don't so road tubeless, so my gravel experience might not translate. That said, I'd pull the plugs and patch from the inside. Working fine on 47s at 38ish psi.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:03 PM
SageOfMilwaukee

Either put a larger, more permanent plug in it or replace the tire.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:10 PM

Plug patch, the only way I would ever patch a tubeless bike or car tire. Car tire video however applies to tubeless bike tires https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqWQT23DP4

Last edited by m_sasso; 10-18-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-19-2022, 12:09 AM

If it holds air on your ride the plug/tire is totally fine as is. If it leaks at higher pressure or hard cornering -boot the tire from the inside (if you know how).

If you don't know how to boot you can patch the inside with Shoe Goo brand adhesive after you clean/aggressively scuff the inner surface.

You can confidently ride that tire to the threads.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I prefer giving myself the best possible chance to avoid a headache with tubeless set-ups out on the road, and i've had my fair share this year! I also would not run a car or motorcycle tire long term with a plug in it, but have had both patched (post plugging) with a proper internal patch. Road tubeless operates at pretty high pressure and the tire casings are pretty thin, so IMO, that's asking for another leak/failure.

And the OP already stated he needed to use two plugs to get the leak to seal, so it's a no brainer to not continue to use that tire with two plugs in it, IMO.
A 16d nail is 0.148" in shank diameter. That's a pretty large hole. There are also small and large diameter Dynaplugs.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Have you ever tried a dynaplug, or better yet tried using one and just cutting off the excess and leaving it alone? Just curious if you have actually done this.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
Have you ever tried a dynaplug, or better yet tried using one and just cutting off the excess and leaving it alone? Just curious if you have actually done this.
Yes.