Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2024, 03:30 PM
#RYFB

Carbon bottle cages from AliExpress

Looking for direct experience having bought these, in particular interested in the knockoffs of the Lightweight and Alptitude ones. Do they hold bottles in place well enough? Are they durable?

If you have positive experience with other options from Ali happy to hear about them. I want simple to no branding, black.

tx
Old 03-12-2024, 04:44 PM

I pretty much use the ali Lightweight cages exclusively. Never had a bottle ejected, although I tend to use the 550's and not the 750's.
On 4 bikes, the only issue I had was the lower retention tab on one cracked but didn't break all the way thru-fixed with crazy glue.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:56 PM

These have been excellent so far.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKUchzc
Old 03-12-2024, 04:58 PM

I order a pair of the KOCEVLO Full Carbon Fiber Bicycle Ultra lig Water Bottle Cages from the Pegasus Bike Accessories Store. They were not worth the $16. My water bottles bounced out on the first hard bump. I believe some of these work fine but it is a crap shoot.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:15 PM
#RYFB

Thanks @glepore & @CAAD. Clean told me that he thought these held bottles more firmly than the Lightweight knockoffs, any experience there?
Old 03-12-2024, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Thanks @glepore & @CAAD. Clean told me that he thought these held bottles more firmly than the Lightweight knockoffs, any experience there?
No experience. They are Carbonworks knockoffs. Somehow I feel more guilty about them. They are really nice cages though.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:53 PM
Rockstruck

Here’s my Ali knockoffs, bought after they were recommended elsewhere here. This is after a couple rides—the bottom broke, leaving the bottle to rest on the frame. At least the bottle didn’t fall into the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6036.jpg (94.0 KB, 257 views)
Old 03-12-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post

That looks a knockoff of Arundel Mandible.
There is enough material there that would make me less worried about it breaking. I didn’t like the Mandible, thought it was too tight. If these are less tight could be even better.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:15 PM
#RYFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWL2222 View Post
Here’s my Ali knockoffs, bought after they were recommended elsewhere here. This is after a couple rides—the bottom broke, leaving the bottle to rest on the frame. At least the bottle didn’t fall into the road.
Yikes. Makes you understand why @glepore sticks with the smaller bottles.
OK, convinced to try a pair of these, thanks.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:21 PM

I had a pair of the Ali lightweights on my Cervelo. I did NOT like them. They were a poor fit for Specialized and Camelbak bottles (really only worked with Tacx which is also the design of the true lightweight edelhefer cages). Eventually one of them cracked too. Not good.

However, I replaced these with a pair of the Ali versions of Mandibles. These have been great. Lighter than a real mandible, probably a little less tight (Purist and Podium bottles go in/out easily, secure over normal roads, can move up an inch if you hit a pothole), and they've held up for maybe 4 years and 10,000 miles.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post

I use what seems to be the same version of these, but purchased through ebay, and they've be rock solid for several years now.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
That looks a knockoff of Arundel Mandible.
There is enough material there that would make me less worried about it breaking. I didn’t like the Mandible, thought it was too tight. If these are less tight could be even better.
I have a pair of legit mandibles on my gravel bike, they hold so tight they crush my bottles. These ali ones have just the right amount of resistance when using specialized bottles. While still feeling sturdy, no issues yet.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wunder View Post
I had a pair of the Ali lightweights on my Cervelo. I did NOT like them. They were a poor fit for Specialized and Camelbak bottles (really only worked with Tacx which is also the design of the true lightweight edelhefer cages). Eventually one of them cracked too. Not good.

However, I replaced these with a pair of the Ali versions of Mandibles. These have been great. Lighter than a real mandible, probably a little less tight (Purist and Podium bottles go in/out easily, secure over normal roads, can move up an inch if you hit a pothole), and they've held up for maybe 4 years and 10,000 miles.
I primarily use Elite bottles-the Fly- but I do ok with Specialized Purists as well. They are tight, but not terrible.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:53 PM

I have these on a couple of bikes. Zero issues in 10,000 miles or so. Never lost a bottle even on high speed gravel descents. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6NCQCP...MMF9C91BXJD7JT
Old 03-13-2024, 01:08 PM
Rockstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgolvin View Post
Yikes. Makes you understand why @glepore sticks with the smaller bottles.
OK, convinced to try a pair of these, thanks.

I was convinced to toss these in the trash and not scrimp on cages next time.