Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2023, 02:07 PM
aluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1850 View Post
I wonder when that was made. A 1980s catalog is the last mention of tandems in the printed material I have seen - the large diameter down tube was present even that far back. Looks like it may have a different fork crown than the one shown in the catalog. It has side track seat stays, which I don't think they used after the mid to late 1980s.
Go take a look at the back of the 1999 catalog

(ignore the handlebar setup, it was sold to me with a broken stem)

dumping this here too

Old 11-12-2023, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I wonder when that was made. A 1980s catalog is the last mention of tandems in the printed material I have seen - the large diameter down tube was present even that far back. Looks like it may have a different fork crown than the one shown in the catalog. It has side track seat stays, which I don't think they used after the mid to late 1980s.
I started working at Serotta in 1989 and stayed until 1999 and during that time I don't think we ever promoted tandems....but we built them on request. I'm pretty sure I built all the tandems (both steel and Ti) during my time there and no two were alike. There was no tandem model but each one took off where the previous one left off.

They are fun to build if you have the time.

dave
Old 11-12-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Is that an original from around the time you started? I know you had some Colorado tubes recently but don't know if you built anything with them. What's the story on the bike? I'd still like to land a team bike with that paint to go with the three that have the later colors, also a Sierra Nevada bike.

What other teams do you remember supplying? I think there was a women's team that rode the onyx/magenta paint scheme but I can't remember the name of the team.
This frameset was one I built back in the day for the Coors Light Team. I had an opportunity to pick it up a number of years back and I couldn't pass it up. I think I built it in late 1990 or early 1991.

I can't recall the name of the woman's team off the top of my head but you are right...we supplied bikes to a woman's team back then with some top talent on it.

We also supplied a number of smaller regional teams but they typically got stock sizes that went through the production shop and I had little to do with them.

dave
Old 11-12-2023, 02:42 PM

Love my 3 Serottas, a 2001 CSI and 2003 Legend purchased new and a used 2010ish HSG purchased from Dave Powers, formerly of Serotta. But I don't think we need any special subforum or sticky threads for Serotta.
I need more bikes like a moose needs a hat rack, but some day I'll find the right 60 cm Ottrott ST to complete my collection!
mini-CSI IMG_3970.jpg

mini-Legend IMG_4003.jpg

mini-HSG IMG_0684.jpg
Old 11-12-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronffs View Post
Go take a look at the back of the 1999 catalog

(ignore the handlebar setup, it was sold to me with a broken stem)

]
So that's the actual catalog frame? Very cool to see that. I think 1999 may have been near the peak for number of models offered (12) after the low point of 1995 when there were only 3 road and 3 MTB models. There is a tandem shown in the catalog though.
Old 11-12-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
This frameset was one I built back in the day for the Coors Light Team. I had an opportunity to pick it up a number of years back and I couldn't pass it up. I think I built it in late 1990 or early 1991.

I can't recall the name of the woman's team off the top of my head but you are right...we supplied bikes to a woman's team back then with some top talent on it.

We also supplied a number of smaller regional teams but they typically got stock sizes that went through the production shop and I had little to do with them.

dave
Thanks. Do you know who it was built for?
Old 11-12-2023, 03:26 PM
aluminati

Quote:
So that's the actual catalog frame? Very cool to see that. I think 1999 may have been near the peak for number of models offered (12) after the low point of 1995 when there were only 3 road and 3 MTB models. There is a tandem shown in the catalog though.
According to the local guy i bought it off of (2nd owner), it is in fact that one photographed in the catalog, haven't verified beyond that though, but it sounds like @david kirk might've built it
Old 11-12-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Do you know who it was built for?
I'm not 100% sure but I think it was Greg Oravetz.

dave
Old 11-12-2023, 08:10 PM
Big Bike Love

Still riding my CSi, though for this photo a pesky Davidson got in the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg serotta.jpg (145.1 KB, 269 views)
Old 11-12-2023, 08:35 PM

Sorry to ask here, but Dave, I know you have probably been asked this lots of times. I have a raucus red 1991 nhx, would you have built this? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:11 AM
The bass playing cyclist

Still riding the Legend I purchased many years ago from Dave Kirk. I believe this was once Karin's bike. One of my all-time favorite rides.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train.jpg (148.4 KB, 244 views)
Old 11-13-2023, 12:36 AM

Okay, here are all the ones I've had.. so far:

(1) Serotta Colorado II - bought the frameset cheap from BicycleTricycle, rode it a bit, and let it go cheap. Too big.. but fun.

(2) Serotta NHX - can't remember where I got this one.. used it for a bit as a commuter and wet-weather rider, then sold.

(3) Serotta Legend Ti - picked up from Jeff N., enjoyed the ride for a bit, and passed it up to a Paceline'r in Canada. I wouldn't mind have this one back!

(4) Serotta CSi - one of the best riding and looking bikes I've had, just a tad big for me.. Passed it to a Paceline'r in California who's still riding and enjoying it.

(5) Serotta Coors Light Team Bike - beautiful one built by Dave Kirk with some unique geometry (lower BB) that made it handle incredibly well.. enjoyed the ride for a bit, then passed it to a Paceline'r in Australia who's still giving it the stick these days.

(6) Serotta Coors Light Team Bike #2 - a bit different, more normal than the one above.. not quite as stiff, more on the lively-steel side. Wonderful bike. And now it's off living its best life with someone else.

(7) Somewhat ironically.. will be a 7-11 MeiVici tribute bike. Currently inbound.

I doubt that will be my last one. A Legend. Maybe another CSi. Maybe a Duetti.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:55 AM

IMG_1954.jpg
Old 11-13-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
Sorry to ask here, but Dave, I know you have probably been asked this lots of times. I have a raucus red 1991 nhx, would you have built this? Thanks.
It's certainly possible. Short of finding the original build sheet I have no way to tell if I built a particular frame or not.

If it's a custom there's a higher chance I built it....if it's a stock frame then it's possible that I would have done some of the work but not all of it as bikes were passed from one operation to the next.

dave
Old 11-13-2023, 09:48 AM

Ta-daa!..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Serotta on W road.jpg (146.2 KB, 196 views)