Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-10-2022, 01:26 PM

OT: Bikepacking + climbing

I'd like to try combining a bike + climb trip in the future, partially inspired by Anton Krupickca's ride that he talked about here. If you've done this, send pics or tell me about your setup!
Old 10-10-2022, 02:30 PM

Sounds awesome!

If you're going to refer to bikepacking and climbing, you've got to also include Goran Kropp, though, who bicycled from Sweden to Mount Everest, summited without supplemental oxygen, and biked home.
Old 10-10-2022, 03:07 PM

Alex Honnold and Cedar Wright have done a bunch of these.

It started with Sufferfest 1, 8 years ago. Climb all the 14teeners in California travelling by bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYBgMNDN-sM
Ep 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrxzajvBhw

Ep 2

Sufferfestlive- the Desert Towers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4CbP_E7oo

They are a funny team.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-10-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
Sounds awesome!

If you're going to refer to bikepacking and climbing, you've got to also include Goran Kropp, though, who bicycled from Sweden to Mount Everest, summited without supplemental oxygen, and biked home.
This is absolutely wild. I do have a hard time taking 'brobible.com' seriously, but it sounds like this dude was nuts. Thanks for pointing me to him.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
Alex Honnold and Cedar Wright have done a bunch of these.

It started with Sufferfest 1, 8 years ago. Climb all the 14teeners in California travelling by bicycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYBgMNDN-sM
Ep 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrxzajvBhw

Ep 2

Sufferfestlive- the Desert Towers,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri4CbP_E7oo

They are a funny team.
I guess being able solo everything reduces the amount of gear you need. Needless to say, I will be taking a different approach...
Old 10-11-2022, 10:52 AM

If there are 2 or more in your group, the biggest issue is probably how many ropes you want to bring for space on the bike.

The difference with something like Goran Kropp is just the amount of equipment you need for an expedition. That's why he has the trailer on the bike.

If I look at Anton's set-up, I'd think he is mostly scrambling or soloing. I think if he is going more committed multi-pitch, he's not cycling and going with a partner in car to the trail head hike out to the base.

If you are in NYC, biking out to the Gunks or even up the Daks is probably pretty nice trip since you can navigate a lot of the route on the Empire State trail.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-11-2022 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-11-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verticaldoug View Post
If there are 2 or more in your group, the biggest issue is probably how many ropes you want to bring for space on the bike.

The difference with something like Goran Kropp is just the amount of equipment you need for an expedition. That's why he has the trailer on the bike.

If I look at Anton's set-up, I'd think he is mostly scrambling or soloing. I think if he is going more committed multi-pitch, he's not cycling and going with a partner in car to the trail head hike out to the base.

If you are in NYC, biking out to the Gunks or even up the Daks is probably pretty nice trip since you can navigate a lot of the route on the Empire State trail.
The gunks is exactly what I had in mind! I've cycled and climbed in mohonk preserve, and both are lovely, but I've never linked them up.

Yeah I was noticing Anton's kit is pretty minimal. Just a 30m rope! I was up in the gunks this weekend and it seems like most rappels need two 60m ropes, though maybe there are exceptions I don't know about.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:08 AM

Ride the Empire Trail to Poughkeepsie and cross on the Walkway over the hudson. From there a straight shot into Mohonk and you are not fried from dealing with cars on the road riding up.

Just having a chill ride up on a rail trail with easy grades so you aren't wiped before climbing is probably a real plus.

Last edited by verticaldoug; 10-11-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantin View Post
I'd like to try combining a bike + climb trip in the future, partially inspired by Anton Krupickca's ride that he talked about here. If you've done this, send pics or tell me about your setup!
Can't use the link without an instagram account ...
Old 10-11-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantin View Post
This is absolutely wild. I do have a hard time taking 'brobible.com' seriously, but it sounds like this dude was nuts. Thanks for pointing me to him.
I hear you; I tried other links, but that one (despite the title of the source!) seemed like the best intro.

Tags
bikepacking, climbing