Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 02:56 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
I think that was if they pay by goods & services but then carry the item away, so you have no way to provide proof of shipping, then they file a claim and get the money back and still keep the merch. Paypal F&F probably solves this, I think, but "cash only" is a much simpler policy.

I've done a half dozen deals through CL within the last couple weeks while de-cluttering my man cave. I do my research and price stuff cheap enough that anyone who has also done their own research will realize it's priced pretty low. I don't state "firm" in the ad, but I do ignore anyone who opens up the email conversation trying to knock down the price. It's an easy way to weed out the tire kickers, flakes, people fishing for charity, and those who think your time isn't worth anything. I've gotten my asking price more often than not, but am amenable to some dickering after the buyer shows up with cash in hand.

Usually meet at a gas station or convenience store, or if it's a Sat/Sun then a school parking lot, either close to my house or along my usual travel routes. Someplace that has a few other people around, but not so crowded a parking lot that you have trouble finding each other.
> thanks for that. makes sense
> I've been wondering how folks feel about cash-in-hand-in-person negotiating.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
I think that was if they pay by goods & services but then carry the item away, so you have no way to provide proof of shipping, then they file a claim and get the money back and still keep the merch. Paypal F&F probably solves this, I think, but "cash only" is a much simpler policy.

I've done a half dozen deals through CL within the last couple weeks while de-cluttering my man cave. I do my research and price stuff cheap enough that anyone who has also done their own research will realize it's priced pretty low. I don't state "firm" in the ad, but I do ignore anyone who opens up the email conversation trying to knock down the price. It's an easy way to weed out the tire kickers, flakes, people fishing for charity, and those who think your time isn't worth anything. I've gotten my asking price more often than not, but am amenable to some dickering after the buyer shows up with cash in hand.

Usually meet at a gas station or convenience store, or if it's a Sat/Sun then a school parking lot, either close to my house or along my usual travel routes. Someplace that has a few other people around, but not so crowded a parking lot that you have trouble finding each other.
Hmm I'm the complete opposite - perhaps I have a different pricing strategy. If you don't want to pay the asking price, be upfront about it. Don't show up and then haggle me down. If I wasn't flexible on the price then I'd rather not have my time wasted only after meeting up.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:48 PM

We have Twin Cities Bicycle Trader page on Facebook that’s pretty awesome. I’ve sold a ton of stuff locally to like minded cyclists and it’s been painless. Even reconnected with an old friend who I hadn’t seen in close to 20 years who came out and bought a fat bike from me.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton View Post
Hmm I'm the complete opposite - perhaps I have a different pricing strategy. If you don't want to pay the asking price, be upfront about it. Don't show up and then haggle me down. If I wasn't flexible on the price then I'd rather not have my time wasted only after meeting up.
this perspective has occurred to me as well. i've done the dickering both ways - ahead of time and also in person. lately, I prefer to do it all up front so everyone knows the deal is getting done when we meet.

exception if the item has some nuance discovered in person (seller didnt think it was an issue, IMHO it is an issue) then we talk about price revision
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
exception if the item has some nuance discovered in person (seller didnt think it was an issue, IMHO it is an issue) then we talk about price revision

Totally agreed. If it isn’t what was agreed upon or I discovered a fault I didn’t notice beforehand the price should be flexible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 PM

I've had some great deals on local Craigslist. The cycling items I bought were obscure enough I felt safe that there was no scam.

I've used E-bay, but not for a while. I've had mixed results with E-bay, but mostly positive transactions.

I have a good amount of stuff I should sell. I'm alternately either too busy or too lazy to want to mess with it. Probably should soon though.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
Pinkbike

+1 on Pinkbike.

If it’s mtb related you’ll have a much wider audience there. Even gravel stuff sells well there.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dton View Post
I definitely see that perspective too. I'm often hesitant to even contact the seller and discuss price because I don't like getting e-haggled myself (because I price on the low end already). I'm certain I've passed up some good stuff, but I like not spending money too. If the price is right, I'll take it and not nickel-dime people in person.
How long an ad has been up also matters. It peeves me when people ask for a discount (without providing any justification) on the first day an ad is up, and that describes a significant % of emails I get. That means people are specifically searching for what I've listed and ought to know what typical pricing is, but the cheapskates still fish for charity on already low-priced stuff. OTOH, one of my ads for an unpopular car part has been up a month, and I'd be totally cool with e-haggling at this point to get it gone. I'll probably wind up putting it on the 'bay.

I also sell on ebay (not bike stuff though, with that I'm more in acquisition mode) and it's been pretty good for the 20+ years I've been using it. Shipping is just a pain though, and if I can save the 13% ebay + PP fees and not have to hassle with shipping I'll do it every time. Ebay is great for selling stuff that needs lots of eyeballs on it to net a decent price. Good quality reasonably priced bike stuff in a major metro area ought to do fine on CL with some patience.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramnnim View Post
Facebook Marketplace, you can glance over the potential buyer/seller's profile to see if you get bad vibes.

Reddit has some cool buy/sell subs that are well policed by the users...
What sub-reddits? Are there bike subs that buy and sell?
Old 02-19-2019, 07:12 AM
Administrator

My CL transactions have been pretty good so far. I try to price things at a fair price to eliminate undue haggling. I also try to get the price tentatively arranged up front which usually works out since I try to be as honest as possible on the descriptions. I just usually meet people at my gym and do the transactions there. Most people won't try anything stupid with a bunch of BJJ - Muay Thai - FMA - JKD people around training.

Lowball responses I just ignore.

If I have to travel to buy something I research the item and come up with what I think is a fair price and will offer that in an email response. I'll let them know that as long as it is as described and/or discussed I will come up immediately and pay cash, if not then thank you for your time. If it turns out there is an issue that wasn't disclosed or the condition wasn't as described then I'll haggle the price. Otherwise I'll pay what I said I would. I don't like it when people try to haggle me at the last second, and I won't do that to others.

W.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 AM

Where do you do your non PL transactions?

I’ve sold bikes and bike stuff on CL up to 2k with no issues. Any more than that I probably would start parting out.

I’ve bought and sold on CL and eBay for years without issues. Just have to use common sense and price it fairly and know the market. Some items sell better on certain sites, such as metal bikes and custom builds doing well here on PL for example.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:32 AM

The thing with eBay is: you get your item sold, you dance a merry jig, but when you look at the end of the month, you remember that 10% has gone to eBay and you're left with no margin on the sale.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:51 AM

I post stuff here and after a week without a sale, put it on ebay, almost always BIN for more money. So I don't mind the fees.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:09 AM

I used eBay a lot in the past. Burned one too many times. Folks pay, I ship (tracked), and they receive the item and a week or so later, they say they haven't received it. Too many scams. 100% positive feedback has no weight for me in the disagreement; they get their money back every time, and I am left with no item. I understand that there are scams out there, but eBay needs to do something about these scams. Maybe I will come back after that.

Looking to sell more on Pinkbike, but we will see. FB Marketplace seems legit.

CL is a waste of time, for me; too many lowballers and shady situations.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:49 AM

eBay, pedalroom, Facebook marketplace