Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 AM

Butyl or Latex Tubes for Pave?

In need of some advice from those of you who have ridden cobbles/pave on clinchers. I am currently running latex tubes but I am likely to carry butyl spares as installing latex requires inflating, seating, deflating and reinflating for the HED Ardennes + I am riding. Obviously, that isn't optimal for roadside changes in the event of a flat.

But is there any harm in starting out with the latex? Are there any noticeable differences in durability or ride quality that warrant one over the other?

As usual, thanks to all for your advices.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cageybee View Post
In need of some advice from those of you who have ridden cobbles/pave on clinchers. I am currently running latex tubes but I am likely to carry butyl spares as installing latex requires inflating, seating, deflating and reinflating for the HED Ardennes + I am riding. Obviously, that isn't optimal for roadside changes in the event of a flat.

But is there any harm in starting out with the latex? Are there any noticeable differences in durability or ride quality that warrant one over the other?

As usual, thanks to all for your advices.
I don't see why latex would be any different than butyl regarding installing roadside. I carry a spare latex tube, no problems installing on a number of my wheels, same steps as butyl.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:33 AM
ergottWheels

What size tires and pressure? Tubeless not an option? Less likely to have a roadside incident.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM

One thing I have noticed is if one is using tubeless tape and not using a generous amount of talcum powder the latex tube has a tendency to stick to the tubeless tape while inflating causing the tube to deform over time.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
What size tires and pressure? Tubeless not an option? Less likely to have a roadside incident.
25c Contis (effectively 28c) on the Ardennes + at 85 psi
Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
I don't see why latex would be any different than butyl regarding installing roadside. I carry a spare latex tube, no problems installing on a number of my wheels, same steps as butyl.
Happy to hear that you haven't had any problems. My LBS has advised to deflate the latex ones after installing and then re-inflate. But I'm not exactly sure I understand/agree. That's the main reason I'm asking for advice.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:34 AM

I've had great luck with these, light and quality is excellent. Panaracer R'air

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...jor=1&minor=31
Old 02-18-2019, 10:41 AM

I've been using latex tubes for years, although not in all my wheels (because they are more expensive and have to be re-inflated more often). It is true that they can be more easily pinched when installing, but that shouldn't be an issue when using proper technique.

I don't deflate/re-inflate when installing. Instead, my process is to partially inflate the tube before installing, using just enough air to give the tube some shape - this prevents the tube walls from folding over and getting trapped under the bead. After both beads have been installed into the rim, I carefully go around the tire, pushing the tire sidewalls inward and peering into the rim to see if the tube has gotten trapped under the sidewall (and pushing the tube into the tire if it has). Then I inflate like normal.

An no, a latex tube doesn't feel any different than a lightweight butyl tube. As far as durability, the stretchiness of latex actually might lessen the chance of putting a hole into the tube in case of pinches or punctures.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Administrator

actual cobbles are tricky and unpredictable. the obvious biggest hazard is hitting a raised square edge, and bottoming out the tire, pinching the tube.

it's my experience that with latex, the tubes tear following a puncture, so you dont lose air slowly, you lose it FAST. rubber tubes will get snakebike punctures and lose air more slowly in this instance.

tubeless may burp all the pressure out following a hard square edge hit.

dialing in the pressure is the best defense against flats on pave. you have to go high enough for your given weight to not bottom out the tire after a shock load from a raised square edge.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
actual cobbles are tricky and unpredictable. the obvious biggest hazard is hitting a raised square edge, and bottoming out the tire, pinching the tube.

it's my experience that with latex, the tubes tear following a puncture, so you dont lose air slowly, you lose it FAST. rubber tubes will get snakebike punctures and lose air more slowly in this instance.

tubeless may burp all the pressure out following a hard square edge hit.

dialing in the pressure is the best defense against flats on pave. you have to go high enough for your given weight to not bottom out the tire after a shock load from a raised square edge.

Yes, I'm running 85 psi on tarmac and some very roughly patched and gatored roads, without incident, but am concerned of bottoming out on pave. Max 90 psi is recommended by HED for the Ardennes and I am considering riding at that pressure to avoid pinches. Not sure how much extra jarring occurs at +/- psi anyway.

My rule of thumb has been to ride at pressure equivalent of 1 psi per kg of weight, which for me translates to about 83-85 psi (unfortunately).
Old 02-18-2019, 11:08 AM
SageOfMilwaukee

Latex hands down. They are more compliant and if you already have them then you know how to install them and store them with a little talc powder. No reason not to, besides $. Flats happen, clincher with butyl, latex, tubular, and burbs on tubeless. If you are riding clinchers, might as well be Latex. All the pros run tubulars on the cobbles, they flat too. Enjoy the ride.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Thanks. I suppose there's no disadvantage to the latex, which was my real concern. I certainly like the ride better.

I will save tubeless for another day.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:11 PM
ergottWheels

You don't have to go tubeless, but I have to say I have never has a tubeless tire burp during road bike conditions nor have I ever heard of that actually happening with a tubeless rim. Does anyone concerned with this have any anecdotal evidence of such?
Old 02-18-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergott View Post
You don't have to go tubeless, but I have to say I have never has a tubeless tire burp during road bike conditions nor have I ever heard of that actually happening with a tubeless rim. Does anyone concerned with this have any anecdotal evidence of such?
Sure, burping a tire isn't a problem during road bike conditions. But the OP is looking for tire advice for cobbles/pave. Odds are he'll be using wider tires with lower pressure. This situation is probably closer to that of cyclocross, where burping tires is a well known issue. If you want anecdotes, just google "cyclocross tire burping".
Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 PM

I don't think anyone is advocating running 22psi like you would in a cross race. Tires at 44-55psi are not going to burp.