Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 06:51 AM

Anywhere?

Have basically no criteria, save one: a place where it's not forecast to rain for the next 10 days, as it is here in the swampy southeast. Winters suck here, cold and wet, but not snowy. Spring comes quickly, which is nice, but yeah, I would go anywhere warm and dry right now, preferably with a plenitude of mountain biking. Southern California, Arizona, Utah. Calgon, take me away!

We like the desert a lot. Unfortunately, my wife's school managed not to schedule their spring break in sync with Duke and UNC this year (they have done so reliably for as long as we can remember, thanks a lot!) meaning no spring break for our family... so it will have to wait til it's a 100 degrees this summer for us to go anywhere. (I would rather do the southwest at 100 degrees than the southeast at 90F and 100% humidity, though).

"Yeah, I got a rash, man, but you know me: I can't complain."
Old 02-14-2019, 07:35 AM

It has to be 80+ degrees, nice sand, clear water, and no crowd. And No, not a stranded island!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:51 AM

Let’s see...Paris next month for a weekend, then Tuscany in late April for the Nova Eroica, France in June to ride in the Pyrenees.

Having a coupled bike and working part-time for an airline turns out to be a pretty good combination.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:14 PM

I'm not very fond of traveling really but Scotland and New Zealand are two places I would not mind spending some time in.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:04 PM

Utah, Columbia, Scotland
Old 02-14-2019, 07:45 PM

odd spots

Wales
Socotra
Taprobane
Tasmania (again)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 PM

riding in colombia is pretty terrible, don’t go.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:22 AM
ZhugeLiang

I haven't made any plans yet. My family will be gone pretty much during the month of March. This is only the second time in all 23 years of my marriage that I am actually by myself and have the freedom to go anywhere. Unfortunately, that freedom is limited by my budget esp. with the extra travel expenses we have and will incur this year with all the oversea trips. So I have to get pretty creative, sleep in a tent or the minivan, look for special discount plane tickets, stay with a friend etc.

All I really want to do is very basic - I want to sleep in every day, start my ride around 10 or 11 when the temp. warms up to about 60s, do a 3-4 hr/50-mile ride, come back, take a shower, eat, take a nap, wake up again around 3 or 4pm, go do some hiking or fishing or something outdoor for 1-2 hrs, come back, take a shower, do some yoga, have a light dinner, lie down and watch netflix, sleep...wake up, repeat.

Is that too much to ask?
Old 02-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Limay River, Argentina
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNhDHgTbncc
Old 02-17-2019, 12:13 PM

No current plans, but places I'd love to ride:
  • Aspen during the Summer
  • Alberta - Jasper National Park and the Icefields Parkway
  • Kelowna & Kamloops B.C
  • Durango
Old 02-17-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
spent 2 days fishing on it, it was ok, ive had better scenery and fishing in Montana, Colorado, Idaho, and other places. the food is awful too. the fishing was hard and its windy as hell. the browns were not out to play the 2 days i fished though. i fished that exact riffle from 1:35. its right near town. thats what you do, fish like 3 or 4 big riffles during the hatch if there is little enough wind to allow bugs to fly, while throwing prayers at the bank during the fastest float of your life. if you end up going, i found a good guide... but unless you are satisfied catching 10-16 inch trout all day, id look elsewhere for spending hard earned fishing money.

if you wanna fish in Argentina, or get away from crowds, you have to go more out there than Limay, like way more out there.

Last edited by Mzilliox; 02-17-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM

France, but given they are having a few issuses and a bit of in fighting we might have to give it a miss and head to Italy or Spain. The wife is a PITA and doesn't like to spend more than 3hrs in a plane which limits where we can go
Old 02-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Combining a trip to visit in-laws in Wisconsin with some riding, no plans where yet, but the in-laws live near Hawshaw.

A long-overdue re-visit to Ireland, focusing on the Dingle Peninsula for the scenery, beer, and traditional music in the pubs ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img074.jpg (99.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg img078.jpg (90.3 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-17-2019, 06:24 PM

next trip will be to girona where i've been thrice before. after that a new adventure in the swiss alps. i have my heart on trying the cote d'azur after that. seems exciting to start out in france and cross into italy. perhaps the dolamites as well. after that i think my bucket lists are done and it will just be revisiting areas and do some different climbs that i skipped for one reason or another.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
spent 2 days fishing on it, it was ok, ive had better scenery and fishing in Montana, Colorado, Idaho, and other places. the food is awful too. the fishing was hard and its windy as hell. the browns were not out to play the 2 days i fished though. i fished that exact riffle from 1:35. its right near town. thats what you do, fish like 3 or 4 big riffles during the hatch if there is little enough wind to allow bugs to fly, while throwing prayers at the bank during the fastest float of your life. if you end up going, i found a good guide... but unless you are satisfied catching 10-16 inch trout all day, id look elsewhere for spending hard earned fishing money.

if you wanna fish in Argentina, or get away from crowds, you have to go more out there than Limay, like way more out there.
Thanks for the update!

I was there 41 years ago and I have a very romanticized memory of the area.

Now that I am heading into retirement, I'm retracing some of my early fishing adventures.

Maybe I need to venture deeper into remote areas.

FWIW I'm spending two weeks in Montana this summer. Again, retracing footsteps from many, many years ago.