Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
just booked my air bnb and got the green light to bring home any bike i want from the show. like a kid in a candy store
I had to make the exact opposite promise before I booked. Can't wait though, I've never been.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateveronfire View Post
I had to make the exact opposite promise before I booked. Can't wait though, I've never been.
ive never been either, very excited. and chances are i will not take home a bike, but who knows, maybe someone built a bike for me im not aware of... maybe they weren't even aware of it... one has to prepare for all possibilities.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
just booked my air bnb and got the green light to bring home any bike i want from the show. like a kid in a candy store
You have the green light to bring me home any bike you want too ..

59-60cm TT please.

Buuuuut seriously. Still hoping I can arrange things to go - I have to be in ABQ for work earlier that week, so it's going to be a little tight.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
You have the green light to bring me home any bike you want too ..

59-60cm TT please.

Buuuuut seriously. Still hoping I can arrange things to go - I have to be in ABQ for work earlier that week, so it's going to be a little tight.
dude, im just trying to keep on the playing field here, haha. who knows what will be there
Old 02-09-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enr1co View Post
Just back from NAMM show weekend in Anaheim (National Association of Music Merchants)- 13 yrs and counting...

A Saturday at NAHBS will feel like a library setting to me- and a lot less expensive- LOL!
I passed on NAMM this year, how are your ears?
Old 02-10-2019, 01:13 PM

I think I might try early Saturday, but is it really that much better to do Friday vs. Saturday?
Old 02-10-2019, 02:11 PM

I want to go, it's a short flight from Vegas. My issue is some robotics factory acceptance testing the week prior in Anaheim. My employer sends me in a rental car but I'd have to drive back on Friday, return the rental car and then drive to Vegas to fly out. Going to be tough.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
I think I might try early Saturday, but is it really that much better to do Friday vs. Saturday?
I was there in 2016, and Saturday was fairly crowded. At lunch, most places around were closed so the few that are open had long lines. Then on the drive back to SF, weekend traffic. I was also at San Jose on a Sunday, much better (it was much smaller then), but I'm planning on Friday.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
If you have the choice of Fri vs Sat I would definitely choose Fri, but if Sat is the most viable option I wouldn't be concerned. Yes much more crowded on Sat although not a show stopper at all.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 PM

i'd like to get this finalized on the calendar. i can be there one night, either fri or sat and want to time it so i can make the paceline dinner.
is that set for which night?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:16 PM

I have some FF miles. Does it make sense to fly out from Atlanta...or should I save my points for the Philly Expo this fall? I know no one can make that decision for me....I'm just not sure?

And NO offense to the organizers of either show as I hope to get to both of them eventually. And perhaps, NABHS 2020 will be closer to the East Coast?
Old 02-18-2019, 12:47 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
I have some FF miles. Does it make sense to fly out from Atlanta...or should I save my points for the Philly Expo this fall? I know no one can make that decision for me....I'm just not sure?

And NO offense to the organizers of either show as I hope to get to both of them eventually. And perhaps, NABHS 2020 will be closer to the East Coast?
If there are builders you want to see and they are at NAHBS, then go to NAHBS. The challenge is, year-year the builder list is not constant.

If you are just wanting to enjoy a show, then choose based on your schedule flexibility. Can Philly be a day trip from ATL? Sacramento would require an overnight.

I would only fly distance to either if it was low cost, I had the time and I was interested in specific builders. Otherwise I would just wait until it got closer to me.

Don't get me wring, NAHBS is really great but know your intent and expectations going in.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:45 PM

Even with frequent flyer miles, I wouldn’t fly all the way across the country just to go to NAHBS. Do you have other reasons to visit Sacramento/CA? NAHBS may not be on the east coast again for a while (if ever?), but there’s a good chance it will be closer (the owner of the show lives in KY, so there’s a good chance it will be there again).
Old 02-18-2019, 07:47 PM

Thanks for your input Gentlemen. No, I have no other reason to fly to Sacramento other than NAHBS. Even with FF points, there is also hotel, food, Uber or rental car and anything I see at the show that I can't live without.

Yes, Philly is a lot closer and probably makes more sense....but of course I wouldn't see as many builders I suspect. But I am not searching for a builder or new bike (just bought a Serotta Fierte) just looking for a bike hang and have the wife's permission....sort of.

I'm mulling it over, thanks again.

Last edited by Hawker; 02-18-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 PM
il Curmudgeoni

Unlike pdmtong and happycampyer, I would absolutely fly to NAHBS...even without FF miles. I do think it's worth the cost. But as stated it would depend on which builders are showing, though that doesn't seem to be a big concern in your case.