Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 06:53 AM

Slim Chance build suggestions.

So a few years back I got rid of all my road stuff as it wasn’t getting any use. I had a Raleigh Professional set up single speed for commuting and a 2004 or so Titus Modena with Campy Chorus.

I have a 1997 Fat Chance Yo Eddy Mtn and always wanted a Slim Chance Road.
Well this thing will be here soon and since I’ll be starting from scratch, I’m debating how to build it up.

I’m not in a hurry to build it, most likely be a winter project as I gather parts here and there and build up a set of wheels.
Originally I was leaning towards a Campy group mostly because that’s what I’ve used in the past and I do think it’s the best looking. Now I’m leaning a bit towards something like SRAM Force because of cost and availability.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Lanterne rouge

Campagnolo or Shimano. There really isnt any other choice.
sHram sucks.

My vote is for a Ultegra group and some nice low profile carbon wheels.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobine View Post
So a few years back I got rid of all my road stuff as it wasn’t getting any use. I had a Raleigh Professional set up single speed for commuting and a 2004 or so Titus Modena with Campy Chorus.

Well this thing will be here soon and since I’ll be starting from scratch, I’m debating how to build it up.

I’m not in a hurry to build it, most likely be a winter project as I gather parts here and there and build up a set of wheels.
Originally I was leaning towards a Campy group mostly because that’s what I’ve used in the past and I do think it’s the best looking. Now I’m leaning a bit towards something like SRAM Force because of cost and availability.
Silver Potenza or Centaur...sweet..if you need wheels built, let me know.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:10 AM

Are you trying to keep it somewhat true to the era or use modern components?

Most of us will picture this bike with components of its time simply because that is how we saw them at that point in time. Such as a Mavis road group.
That doesn’t mean that you to stick with that. It would also look nice with the new black Ultegra group and black wheels.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewheels View Post
Are you trying to keep it somewhat true to the era or use modern components?

Most of us will picture this bike with components of its time simply because that is how we saw them at that point in time. Such as a Mavis road group.
That doesn’t mean that you to stick with that. It would also look nice with the new black Ultegra group and black wheels.
Its a new frame. The era is now.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
Its a new frame. The era is now.

It is a new frame that just looks classic.

Why is SRAM junk? I’ve got 3 mountain bikes with SRAM and they’re all excellent.
For mountain I like SRAM over Shimano. My Haanjo grinder has a Force 10sp shifter mounted to a mountain RD. Works perfect.
I don’t have a lot of experience with Shimano Road. I hated how the cables used to stick out, but I believe that’s changed.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:46 AM

Alloy 10 Speed Campy, Centaur on up. Akelman's got some sweet kit on the block.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
It is a new frame that just looks classic.

Why is SRAM junk? I’ve got 3 mountain bikes with SRAM and they’re all excellent.
For mountain I like SRAM over Shimano. My Haanjo grinder has a Force 10sp shifter mounted to a mountain RD. Works perfect.
I don’t have a lot of experience with Shimano Road. I hated how the cables used to stick out, but I believe that’s changed.
trust me, you don't want to start this here.

on topic. that frame looks awesome, love the fade. Really build it as you want, if you want sram, get sram. If you like campy but don't want to spend the money, look in the classifieds. You can score very well priced campy. You could be all in on a nice 11 speed chorus group for less than force new.

Then I would do a nice wheel, some boyd ceramics or some belgiums or something along those lines. Its going to be an awesome bike.

RIP true temper
Old 11-12-2017, 08:17 AM

I think Force 22 would look awesome on that frame. 11 speed SRAM is reliable, lightweight, and functional. Don't let the s***-stirrers on this forum convince you not to ride what you like.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I think Force 22 would look awesome on that frame. 11 speed SRAM is reliable, lightweight, and functional. Don't let the s***-stirrers on this forum convince you not to ride what you like.
This. I've got years of use and abuse on Force 22 groups an I think they're one of the best bangs for the buck out there. And double-tap works really well on a go-fast road bike. I think that frame would look great with a Force 22 group and some shallow, black rimmed wheels. Something like a Mavic Pro Ksyrium SL Exalith or a DT Oxic.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:54 AM

The SRAM stuff is decent, but the chainsets just look awful, as do Shimano's, and the new Campag alloy ones.

I think it needs carbon Chorus!
Old 11-12-2017, 09:15 AM

I'd throw 11spd athena or 6800 works fantastic and both can be had for a decent price as well. Really depends on your preference. I have used sram sparingly on a bike I picked up a few years back and it worked fine, but if I was going sram I'd etap it. Nice color choice and the frameset looks awesome.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:

If cost is a consideration, personally I'd build it up with black Shimano 5800 but a SRAM crank. That frame and paint deserves to be the center of attention. Plenty of nice black 11-speed wheels in the classifieds here, too.
But those are my aesthetics, and everyone is different.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:58 PM

I’d do all black.

Carbon campy and black wheels
Old 11-12-2017, 02:46 PM

Sram Force 22 seems like a great idea to me