Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
ok, thread looks centered. Turned the tire around and now the other side is good. So its 1 side of the tire that works and the other does not.

tried tubeless just now too. same thing. Alot of sealant leak too, just bubling and bubling. I am starting to think these tires are crap.
At this point I’d send pics and a description to Challenge and see what they say. Definitely odd with the bead doing that.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcroslin View Post
I have a slightly older set of the same wheels and I've not had any luck setting them up tubeless. Even let the LBS try and they couldn't get them to hold the bead. If you find a set of tires that work on those wheels please let us know.
I don't know what I will try... maybe compass (but they don't have the best tubeless reputation), or maybe I will try some specialized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
I will also offer that the tread started peeling off in about ten days.
hmmmm, I am going to write bike tires direct today, see if they will take back these things.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:52 PM

As great as they ride, I've found Challenge tires to not be worth the challenge, especially considering that Compass tires mount much easier
Old 02-18-2019, 07:59 PM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesadventure View Post
As great as they ride, I've found Challenge tires to not be worth the challenge, especially considering that Compass tires mount much easier
I have never had challenge but have heard the stories.

This one is different than the usually suspects, its not a made in italy hand made tire, its TLR different construction, ect.

Well I talked to bike tires direct and they told me to try this and that and that. I am not sure anything is going to work because the bead is seated all the way around the tire, I am starting to think that its fine to ride like this since the bead seems to be locked. But its a tire, I like to be confident on my tires... also, the way the sealant was coming out through the bead I am not sure these are going to be very good tubeless.

I emailed challenged but I am not expecting much from them
Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesbrigade View Post
At this point I’d send pics and a description to Challenge and see what they say. Definitely odd with the bead doing that.
I had some almonzo’s coming apart after (1)35 mi ride. I emailed and They never even acknowledged.. I never bought another challenge tire or will.. good luck bro
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 PM

BikeTiresDirect will get it sorted if they are defective - they're a good company - and forum sponsor (as you know)..

Bummer about Challenge though. A little QC slip-up can really damage the reputation in this day and age.
Old 02-19-2019, 04:31 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luwabra View Post
I had some almonzo’s coming apart after (1)35 mi ride. I emailed and They never even acknowledged.. I never bought another challenge tire or will.. good luck bro
Yeah from what I heard about challenge CS I dont expect anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
BikeTiresDirect will get it sorted if they are defective - they're a good company - and forum sponsor (as you know)..

Bummer about Challenge though. A little QC slip-up can really damage the reputation in this day and age.
What surprises me is that both tires do this. I did mount another set of tires on the rims (gravel kings) and they seem fine, can see the bead line all around the rim.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:10 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

Did you try the soapy water along the bead? The bead is getting caught on the edge of the inner channel of the wheel.

Another thing, if there is more than two layers of tubeless tape you can remove a layer to make the diameter a teeny bit smaller that the tire has to clear.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Did you try the soapy water along the bead? The bead is getting caught on the edge of the inner channel of the wheel.

Another thing, if there is more than two layers of tubeless tape you can remove a layer to make the diameter a teeny bit smaller that the tire has to clear.
This is certainly a valid point. I was slow to change and accept the idea that I could no longer use cloth tape on many of the new rims due to the tight tolerance.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:32 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post

I tried soapy water and same thing. The thing is, I dont think the bead is getting caught, I remove the side of the bead thats good and look at the other side and bead looks like its in the right channel
Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
the thing that I just don't get/never seen is that the bead is in place but just not in the right place?

both tires do this. I tried the tire on a different rim and its similar (although on that rim its a bit better, still a lot of the areas on one side are not right).

I will let them sit for a while and see if I can get it to work.
When you spin them in your hand, does the tire at that spot wander left-right? If it doesn't, manufacturing oddity and the tire is indeed on straight. If it DOES 'wander' back and forth, try soapy water and more PSI..tire isn't seated.

See you have tried various things..as stated, Challenge are a 'challenge' and not worth the time, effort and $, IMHO..too many better, easier, and cheaper options out there.

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 02-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
When you spin them in your hand, does the tire at that spot wander left-right? If it doesn't, manufacturing oddity and the tire is indeed on straight. If it DOES 'wander' back and forth, try soapy water and more PSI..tire isn't seated.

See you have tried various things..as stated, Challenge are a 'challenge' and not worth the time, effort and $, IMHO..too many better, easier, and cheaper options out there.
Tire spins nice and true, no left or right.

Thing is, even if this is fine, its not something that should happen to a $60 tire... I totally agree with you OP. I am going to give it another hour on saturday and if this does not work I am going to send them back...
Old 02-19-2019, 08:44 AM

I had a similar thing with my Gravel King SK's on Belgiums and going from a double wrap to single wrap of rim tape fixed it.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:08 AM
Randomhead

Park made some pliers that will seat a bead. Probably find one at an established bike shop. PTS-1, $56. They work great. Not sure how big of a tire they work on, might be limited to less than 35mm-ish. I have used a rag and channel locks with some success.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:01 AM

I don't think this is your problem, but Jan Heine had a blog post on mounting tires on deep well rims. When I realized that the trouble I was having getting tires to seat correctly on my Velocity Synergy rims was the rims, nit the tires, I had the wheels rebuilt with Boyd Altamont Lites, problem solved. I wished the wheel builder of the original wheels knew enough to not recommend the Synergy, but those are the breaks. Went to a different builder for the rebuild.