Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 06:39 AM
Administrator

"sram curious" in college - that's priceless!
Old 11-13-2018, 06:41 AM

Time. I've used Time pedals since the late 80's when I switched from Look. I think the Time retention system is the best. The interesting thing about Time is that the original design was the best functioning...but if made today would be considered unfashionably heavy and large. So, each successive generation of time pedals have given up some of the original functionality for miniaturization and weight savings. For me the sweet spot occurred in the Impact/RX eras. For durability, the Impact series has only peers and few of those...The RX pedals are light, but suffer from the long-term durability issues that can come along with anything made of plastic. Still the working parts are durable brass and steel.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
Time. I've used Time pedals since the late 80's when I switched from Look. I think the Time retention system is the best. The interesting thing about Time is that the original design was the best functioning...but if made today would be considered unfashionably heavy and large. So, each successive generation of time pedals have given up some of the original functionality for miniaturization and weight savings. For me the sweet spot occurred in the Impact/RX eras. For durability, the Impact series has only peers and few of those...The RX pedals are light, but suffer from the long-term durability issues that can come along with anything made of plastic. Still the working parts are durable brass and steel.
I used Impacts for years and liked them. But when they stopped making them I moved away and after trying the SPD-SL pedals I got better quality and a float that is nearly indistinguishable from the Times. It literally took me one ride to feel comfortable with the Shimano pedals and after that I couldn't get rid of my Times fast enough.

They were great pedals and I agree with everything you said but I've moved on and don't really miss them.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
There is evidence of shimano and SRAM on pegs. I'm over it. dario was a good man and wanted his frames ridden.

the only no-no - straight post, straight fork.
lol, bike nazis...

"he wanted his frames ridden! oh, you can't get your ass in the right place without a straight post...? you should just hang it on the wall."
Old 11-13-2018, 06:51 AM

I tried Time, many "times", but they kept breaking. So, Shimano Ultegra it is. At first I felt funny putting Shimano on my all Campy bikes but I quickly got over it. The SPD-SL stuff just works.

Tim
Old 11-13-2018, 06:52 AM
Administrator

to get back to the OPs question, i use SPD-SLs pretty exclusively. they just work, and i use them for both road and gravel, very reliable, low maintenance system.

for the strictly shimano opposed though, exustar makes a SPD-SL cleat compatible pedal with ti spindles and a carbon body that's pretty good! and you dont have to change cleats!

Old 11-13-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I used Impacts for years and liked them. But when they stopped making them I moved away and after trying the SPD-SL pedals I got better quality and a float that is nearly indistinguishable from the Times. It literally took me one ride to feel comfortable with the Shimano pedals and after that I couldn't get rid of my Times fast enough.

They were great pedals and I agree with everything you said but I've moved on and don't really miss them.
I hear you. Shimano perfected the Look system, no doubt. There are a couple features of the Time pedals that I find very worthwhile. First is the way the force required for release is completely independent of the force required for retention...So you can set them up for a very light touch for entry and release with no compromise for sprinting out of saddle efforts, climbing, etc...The second feature is the design of the rear cam which keeps the shoe tight to the pedal no matter how much wear is on the cleat. This is WAY undersold for the Time pedals...
Old 11-13-2018, 08:00 AM

I did not enjoy the auto self-centering mechanism of the Times. That little bit of spring resistance to recenter the cleat during rotation drove me to murder.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:28 AM
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakatel_Luum View Post
Used Speedplay for years then saw the light, they’re crap! Went to Dura-Ace which are well made but the cleat float is awful so on TIME now...the new Xpro pedals are a godsend...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here; Time expresso
Old 11-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonracing View Post
Those two piece look cleats are kind of ingenious but I just see another interface to make a little noise/creak.
I thought the same. I always grease the base of my cleats so I just throw a small dab where the two meet. But in all honesty never had a creak and the tolerances are very very tight. Give it a try. $10 on Amazon. They wear out or get grungy I just swap them out. Cheap enough.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:52 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarry View Post
Great pedals, C should have kept making and

developing them

Boat anchors, but love the memory.
They did, called them ProFits..really good pedals.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
”...They did, called them ProFits..really good pedals...”
Agreed.
Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals have proven extremely reliable on all my bicycles for years and years.
Just a bit of occasional cleaning and relubrication. I hope they keep making them.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 AM

Was a happy Pro-Fit/ Sidi Ergo3 user until my relocation to the Left side of the wall.

The thought of break downs and long return walks on the worse then lousy Baja tarmac/caminos in road cleats prompted the switch to XTR/Drakos. Completely satisfied and the peace of mind is worth the brand melding...
Old 11-13-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
There is evidence of shimano and SRAM on pegs. I'm over it. dario was a good man and wanted his frames ridden.

the only no-no - straight post, straight fork.
This is even more ridiculous than the whole "all-Italian" notion in the first place, really.
Ride whatever you prefer, whatever works best for you, on any bicycle you own. Nobody cares but you the rider, and maybe people peeping photos on internet forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
lol, bike nazis...

"he wanted his frames ridden! oh, you can't get your ass in the right place without a straight post...? you should just hang it on the wall."
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
They did, called them ProFits..really good pedals.
Indeed, very good. Why did they stop, do you know? Not enough market?

I loved Pro-Fits. Also love Speedplay Zero (great improvement over the X models, for me) and the Keywin CRM. Keywin are superb and comfortable and seem indestructible.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
Agreed.
Campagnolo Pro-Fit pedals have proven extremely reliable on all my bicycles for years and years.
Just a bit of occasional cleaning and relubrication. I hope they keep making them.
Although still ‘out there’ and cleats still made, the pedals haven’t been made for a while..

https://planetcyclery.com/campagnolo...itanium-pedals