Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM

What do you Campy Guys do for Pedals?

Other than being "SRAM curious" in college, I'm a die hard Shimano Dura Ace guy. I've barely paid attention to anything outside of DA for the past 5 years.

But... A new acquired Pegoretti Marcelo came my way recently and I've decided to go "all Italian" and build it up with Record 12, Bora's and a Fizik cockpit. It's ready to roll and I'm picking up on Wednesday. Soooooo stoked.

What the heck do I do for pedals though? Plan A is just to slap my DA pedals on it and ride. Feels slightly in conflict with my "all Italian" desire though.

What do y'all Campy guys use?
Old 11-12-2018, 06:41 PM

I feel like I see a lot of Campy guys riding DA/Ultegra pedals. No reason to have to set up another set of cleats/shoes, IMO.

Look and Speedplay are the other most common answers. I started with Look when I first got road pedals/shoes, but wish I had gone Shimano.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles View Post
Other than being "SRAM curious" in college, I'm a die hard Shimano Dura Ace guy. I've barely paid attention to anything outside of DA for the past 5 years.

But... A new acquired Pegoretti Marcelo came my way recently and I've decided to go "all Italian" and build it up with Record 12, Bora's and a Fizik cockpit. It's ready to roll and I'm picking up on Wednesday. Soooooo stoked.

What the heck do I do for pedals though? Plan A is just to slap my DA pedals on it and ride. Feels slightly in conflict with my "all Italian" desire though.

What do y'all Campy guys use?
Duracci - it's all in the pronunciation

I like Time pedals almost as much as Dura Ace, and am going to use those on my Kirk to start. Excel Sports has the Time Xpresso 6 on super-sale right now if you want to dip a toe...or forefoot, as may be more appropos... I also have a pair of Xpresso 12s in excellent condition if you want to match the bling of your build - I don't need them that light/fancy, hence the 6s for my all-day Kirk build.

Can't wait to see pics of your Marcelo. Sounds like a perfect build.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:44 PM

Moved from Looks to Times a couple years back. No regrets.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:47 PM
v a n i l l a

DA SPD-SL on everything.

Don't compromise touch points. Bar, saddle, pedals no matter what frame or group.

There is evidence of shimano and SRAM on pegs. I'm over it. dario was a good man and wanted his frames ridden.

the only no-no - straight post, straight fork.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbadge View Post
I feel like I see a lot of Campy guys riding DA/Ultegra pedals. No reason to have to set up another set of cleats/shoes, IMO.

I like this answer as it keeps life pretty simple...
Old 11-12-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Duracci - it's all in the pronunciation

I like Time pedals almost as much as Dura Ace, and am going to use those on my Kirk to start. Excel Sports has the Time Xpresso 6 on super-sale right now if you want to dip a toe...or forefoot, as may be more appropos... I also have a pair of Xpresso 12s in excellent condition if you want to match the bling of your build - I don't need them that light/fancy, hence the 6s for my all-day Kirk build.

Can't wait to see pics of your Marcelo. Sounds like a perfect build.
Yeah, I will post up from sunny San Diego in a a few days. I've actually built a mini vacation around picking it up and doing some riding.

Duracci - I'll work on my pronunciation
Old 11-12-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
DA SPD-SL on everything.

Don't compromise touch points. Bar, saddle, pedals no matter what frame or group.

There is evidence of shimano and SRAM on pegs. I'm over it. dario was a good man and wanted his frames ridden.

the only no-no - straight post, straight fork.
Yeah, I came so so close to hanging DA9100 mechanical on it... It was almost the Bora's that swang me over though. I couldn't decide on what wheels to put on a Peg with DA... And then I started thinking the new 12 speed stuff looks so sexy so why not try it.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:54 PM
aka RAEKWON

Shimano. Best damn pedals. Both Spd and spd sl
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM

A few minutes of elbow grease with an acetone laced rag and those Dura Ace pedals work just fine with Campy. That’s how I roll. They might work ok without polishing the Dura Ace off, but I haven’t tried it. I too was s a die hard Shimano fan until they made Dura Ace too ugly to look at. In retrospect, Campu is awesome. But I have a eTap incoming.

Jon
Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Originally Posted by damocles View Post
Yeah, I came so so close to hanging DA9100 mechanical on it... It was almost the Bora's that swang me over though. I couldn't decide on what wheels to put on a Peg with DA... And then I started thinking the new 12 speed stuff looks so sexy so why not try it.
would love to hear your R12 impressions once rolling. keep us posted with ride report and pics. be great to get your take since you are "new" to campy botyh group and wheels.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
a few minutes of elbow grease with an acetone laced rag and those dura ace pedals work just fine with campy. That’s how i roll. They might work ok without polishing the dura ace off, but i haven’t tried it. I too was s a die hard shimano fan until they made dura ace too ugly to look at. In retrospect, campu is awesome. But i have a etap incoming.

Jon
#genius
Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 PM
v a n i l l a

I like the older DA-7810 on metal bikes.

Last edited by pdmtong; 11-13-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Look due to these cleats.

They are two piece so when you apply the new cleats they are in the EXACT position that your old cleats were in. No more need for sharpie or guessing with the worn off markings on your soles.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Campagnolo pedals on all my Campagnolo-equipped bicycles.
Not in the mood to “restandardize” until Campagnolo pedals become challenging to obtain.
At that point will probably switch to Speedplay since they seem like a stable company.