Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 02:16 PM
commuter racer

Campy 10 drivetrain problems

So I had my LBS install a used record 10 RD on my zank, plus a NOS Campagnolo CX crankset, plus a power torque BB. Since then, on a couple of occasions, the chain has jumped between the smallest cog and the dropouts which is very violent and just stops my pedaling. It's a problem. I've never had this problem on this bike in the past. Is it just out of adjustment?
Also my cranks and BB keep getting loose
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8291.jpg (118.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 11-11-2018, 02:59 PM

Never seen that to happen, If you can do the job but prefeer to pay, then What I would do is to go personally over all the process of setting up everything, and then tell the guy at the shop what they did wrong.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:07 PM

Is your LBS opened yesterday by a 15 yo???? both bb cups and cranks retaining bolt have to be tightened using torque wrench to a specific torque, 35nm for the BB cups and 45 - 60 NM for the retaining bolt. seems like he didn't set the lower limit screw right on your rear derailleur. Many people install Ultra torque BB cups and cranks retaining bolt to hand tight which is unacceptable. I would take your bike back to the LBS ASAP and get it fixed then ask for some compensation for the damage that the jumped chain caused to your frame.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:43 PM
Everything is connected

Shino...Power Torque installs a little different than Ultra Torque and your mechanic might not be aware of the difference. The cups are different too. A fellow Paceliner set mine up for me and no issues with the crank and it’s been 2 years since the installation.

https://youtu.be/L1_3smRyk-w
Old 11-11-2018, 03:44 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster View Post
So I had my LBS install a used record 10 RD on my zank, plus a NOS Campagnolo CX crankset, plus a power torque BB. Since then, on a couple of occasions, the chain has jumped between the smallest cog and the dropouts which is very violent and just stops my pedaling. It's a problem. I've never had this problem on this bike in the past. Is it just out of adjustment?
Also my cranks and BB keep getting loose
Geez...limit screw on rear der after a der hanger straight check.
Lotsa grease on spline and bolt and TIGHT, basically tighten till it stops. Grease and maybe Teflon tape on BB cups..TIGhT.. the LBS sounds clueless.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Is the RD a mid cage?
Old 11-11-2018, 08:05 PM

When I saw the title of the thread, "Campy 10 drivetrain problems" my first thought was "unpossible."

Anything can break or wear out eventually, but Campy 10s is in a rare category of things that live almost forever.

The limit screw on the R Der is the first thing to check. A photo can't show everything but it sure looks like the cage is aligned with the cog well. Gotta be falling off with a loose limit screw. And since that's questionable, check everything else, too.

No reason for the crank to loosen up either. Proper torque and lubed, clean threads, all it needs.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:33 AM
commuter racer

Thanks everyone, I'll swing by the shop tomorrow to have the thing checked out. I've never has this happen before on any of my Campy Ten-Speed bikes and I've had several. . It's a used RD I scored off craig's list but it seemed to be in very good condition.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:27 AM

Tweaked cage or bent b pivot bolt can cause that issue.

You took used parts and expect them to work perfectly? Setup is a possibility, but used parts are used parts.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:45 AM
but not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiclistiCliff View Post

You took used parts and expect them to work perfectly? Setup is a possibility, but used parts are used parts.
The fact that crankset and BB were installed incorrectly points to overall ineptitude of LBS. Quite possible the teenager working on that bike is younger than the derailleur itself.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post
When I saw the title of the thread, "Campy 10 drivetrain problems" my first thought was "unpossible."

Anything can break or wear out eventually, but Campy 10s is in a rare category of things that live almost forever.

The limit screw on the R Der is the first thing to check. A photo can't show everything but it sure looks like the cage is aligned with the cog well. Gotta be falling off with a loose limit screw. And since that's questionable, check everything else, too.

No reason for the crank to loosen up either. Proper torque and lubed, clean threads, all it needs.
This. Campagnolo 10 speed is bombproof.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronsonic View Post

All of my bikes are Record 10 and square taper. I expect the drive trains to outlast me, figuring that I have another 20+ years of riding to go.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 11-12-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:

To steal a line from an old ad for a used car dealer: we all ride used parts.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Its out of adjustment. The cups and crank bolt weren't tightened properly. You should of just come over here and let me do the install. Someone missing these basic steps probably also got the chain the wrong length.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:07 AM
commuter racer

Quote:

All my other parts are used and work great. This looked to have minimal wear. The derailleur it replaced was an old beat to hell centaur from 9 years ago which I raced cross with and crashed on, and still worked great.