Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
Trust me when I write everyone who has posted is aware of the severity of these fires in NorCal and SoCal. No one is bitching about not riding. Locals are posting pictures of the fires and how they are affecting them. It is personal, not sensational. These accounts give perspective to the magnitude to these fires.

The kids at children's school are packing backpacks full of basics for families who have lost everything. People (neighbors) are going around our neighborhood and gathering food and blankets for survivors. We have sent money to the Red Cross. So, ask yourself, by calling people whiners and poor babies is the best way YOU can help others in this horrible situation. And if you need to blow of steam go ride a bike instead of trolling people on the internet.....

Do the right thing.
"Not fun for riding" is what I responded to pal.

And all I've seen from you in the last several days is how smoky it is in your area.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 PM
Princess Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smead View Post
Poor baby.

"edit" and just to be clear, the bad smoke some of us are smelling is from charred bodies. C'mon folks, enough about how smoky it is and whaa I can't ride, there will be 100+ dead up here in the camp fire when it's all said and done.

Hey bruh, sorry if that came off the wrong way. I wasn't complaining about not being able to ride, more noting that we're miles away from the fire line and seeing/smelling the effects.

There's some seriously serious and scary SH IT going on and not being able to ride doesn't even compare to a loss of home, pets, love ones, one's own life, etc. etc. etc.
----
Old 11-13-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by false_Aest View Post
Hey bruh, sorry if that came off the wrong way. I wasn't complaining about not being able to ride, more noting that we're miles away from the fire line and seeing/smelling the effects.

There's some seriously serious and scary SH IT going on and not being able to ride doesn't even compare to a loss of home, pets, love ones, one's own life, etc. etc. etc.
----
Thx, understood, this is somewhat personal for me having lived in the area and knowing many who have lost their homes.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Thx, understood, this is somewhat personal for me having lived in the area and knowing many who have lost their homes.
Has your Magalia house survived?
Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 PM

This is the deadliest and most destructive fire in California recorded history. 48 souls are known to have lost their life. Over 200 are still missing.

Here are some current stats:

Incident Name: Camp, Butte County
State: CA
Lead Agency: CAL FIRE BTU
Size (acres): 128,798
Percent Contained: 30%
Estimate of Containment: Nov. 30, 2018
Personnel: 5,139
Structures Destroyed: 7,639

Structures Threatened: 15,500
Single Residences Destroyed: 6,522
Single Residences Damaged: 75
Multiple Residences Destroyed: 85
Commercial Destroyed: 260
Commercial Damaged: 32
Other Minor Structures Destroyed: 772
Down south the Woolsey fire continues to ravage; 97,114 acres - 40% contained, 2 souls and 435 homes known to be lost.

All in about a quarter of a MILLION people have been displaced by these fires. Please follow joosttx's lead and donate towards the survivors and recovery if possible either in spirit or in deed.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 PM

California residents moralizing to other California residents. This is a crisis.

I haven't been here my whole life so my perceptions may reflect that but in the past I haven't sensed the same level of empathy during major fires. Houses burning in so called fire zones and exclusive hillside communities. That kind of stuff is easy to intellectualize away or even victim blame. But I haven't witnessed any of that in the last two years. So, Peter B, I understand and share your disgust with POTUS and, smead, I understand how you may find some photos as lacking tact. The reality is that many of us are trying to process these disasters through our personal filters. This weekend was the first in my riding life where a natural disaster kept most of the obsessive, addicted cyclists I know at home. Armageddons are hard to ignore.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
California residents moralizing to other California residents. This is a crisis.

I haven't been here my whole life so my perceptions may reflect that but in the past I haven't sensed the same level of empathy during major fires. Houses burning in so called fire zones and exclusive hillside communities. That kind of stuff is easy to intellectualize away or even victim blame. But I haven't witnessed any of that in the last two years. So, Peter B, I understand and share your disgust with POTUS and, smead, I understand how you may find some photos as lacking tact. The reality is that many of us are trying to process these disasters through our personal filters. This weekend was the first in my riding life where a natural disaster kept most of the obsessive, addicted cyclists I know at home. Armageddons are hard to ignore.

One of my personal filters is the recent memory of the local sheriff driving down my dirt road announcing evacuation time as the VLATs were flying laps overhead and the smoke billowed up the river canyon towards my meager 640 sf cabin home and I scrambled to toss a few memories into my truck before driving away. Miraculously the local firefighters got on top of it and most of use dodged a very big bullet.

There's something about a personal experiential connection that amplifies the future response. I know smead spent many thousands of hours renovating a dream home that is now likely up in flames along with those of his former neighbors outside Paradise.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 PM

While I understand this is a cycling forum, I guess I'm just finding it hard to understand how folks can lament about smoky skies and limited riding in the context of a thread that is about thousands losing their homes, and I'm sure it'll end up being over 100 losing their lives. As mentioned earlier, this fire is a bit different, and not just on a personal level. An entire town of 27,000 has been burned off the map. This is rather unprecedented.

With that said, a friend of mine in Paradise who lost his home did manage to throw his 3 road bikes in his truck before barreling down the hill. Not sure what his wife had to say about his decision about what to save / not save.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Paul Components is reporting that Mitch Pryor of Map Cycles had to be evacuated and probably lost his home...

How you can help

https://www.chicoer.com/2018/11/10/h...-fire-victims/
For Mitch Pryor in particular: https://www.gofundme.com/keep-mitch-rolling.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:37 PM

Quote:
While I understand this is a cycling forum, I guess I'm just finding it hard to understand how folks can lament about smoky skies and limited riding in the context of a thread that is about thousands losing their homes, and I'm sure it'll end up being over 100 losing their lives. As mentioned earlier, this fire is a bit different, and not just on a personal level. An entire town of 27,000 has been burned off the map. This is rather unprecedented.

With that said, a friend of mine in Paradise who lost his home did manage to throw his 3 road bikes in his truck before barreling down the hill. Not sure what his wife had to say about his decision about what to save / not save.
I am sprry you losted a home and you know people who have lost so much by these fires.

Reporting about smokey skies 150 miles + away from the fire for almost five days is my attempt to show the magnitude of the Camp Fire-not to complain or lament. I cannot take picture of th fire directly because I am not there. I can only show the impact from my viewpoint.

I am deeply sorry that I caused more grief for you by snapping back at you and posting smokey air pictures. I will not do those things again out of respect for you.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-13-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-13-2018, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

I grew up in California in the 60’s and the 70’s. The magnitude of these fires are hard to comprehend and it feels so much like this may be the new normal. I’m saddened for everyone who lost their life, loved ones or property. The size of the Camp Fire is difficult to imagine but it has hit home here in a tiny way today some 400 miles away-smoke from the fire has moved into the Eugene area.
My heart goes out to all of you affected.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
For Mitch Pryor in particular: https://www.gofundme.com/keep-mitch-rolling.
Has stopped accepting donations after reaching the $10K mark. Wow - went to chip in a few and was really surprised to see that - but also not - bike peeps are good peeps..

I saw Paul Components' post on IG today. Thinking about buying some gift-cards or something just to roll some cash their way too.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:05 AM

California burning-again

Anyone using an N95 dust mask for riding / hiking? https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-N95-P...-202670465-_-N

I think it would be effective in filtering out smoke particles, but maybe uncomfortable to wear while riding. Thinking of trying it.

Update: tried this mask today hiking. Some discomfort from sweating, otherwise had no problems breathing. Probably do an easy ride tomorrow with it.

Last edited by MikeD; 11-14-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I am sprry you losted a home and you know people who have lost so much by these fires.

Reporting about smokey skies 150 miles + away from the fire for almost five days is my attempt to show the magnitude of the Camp Fire-not to complain or lament. I cannot take picture of th fire directly because I am not there. I can only show the impact from my viewpoint.

I am deeply sorry that I caused more grief for you by snapping back at you and posting smokey air pictures. I will not do those things again out of respect for you.
Thanks, and for the record, I did not lose a home in this fire, although I easily could have had things worked out just a bit differently ... Am feeling for friends in the area who did, and of course for those who lost a lot more.

Frayed nerves and short fuses, including mine.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:13 AM

buddy of mine sent a pic of the hills burning in his neck of the woods in outlying los angeles area. it is truly staggering, a wall of flame & smoke that rises seemingly miles high. his family was evacuated.

as i mentioned in a post above, those walls of flames are no joke. houses explode like popcorn from being superheated, in seconds. been there, experienced that in the early 90's in so cal.

positive thoughts to all. be safe.