Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 AM

Condolences re: Napoli. Why wasnt Mertens introduced earlier? All very strange to have your top scorers from the past few seasons to appear as supersub

Also, why is the Napoli stadium half empty?
Old 10-29-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
Condolences re: Napoli. Why wasnt Mertens introduced earlier? All very strange to have your top scorers from the past few seasons to appear as supersub

I have no idea - Mertens and Lorenzo seem to have good chemistry and anticipate each others runs. Benitez didn't use him much either, but he flourished under Sarri.
Commentator stated that the "fans" didn't show up as they were saving their money to spend on the upcoming champions league game. ???
Old 10-29-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
this perhaps captures my reaction to what happened to Real in La Classica

serves them right for sabotaging their national team
RM in "real" turmoil -just fired Lopetegui and appointed Santiago Solari as "caretaker manager". Seems like their interest in Conte has diminished.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Scored a hat trick today against Empoli (shame on the keeper for the last one, but still). PSG on Tuesday (with Buffon in goal) - Wonder if Ancelotti will start him?

Did you hear about this SUPER LEAGUE - first I read about it:

"The Football Leaks investigation claims 16 European clubs, including Juventus, Milan, Inter and Roma, have been negotiating to form a Super League.

This idea had been floated in the open before, but according to the trans-national investigation resulting from hacked emails obtained by Der Spiegel, there were and above all still are concrete steps taken to make it a reality.

The clubs allegedly involved on the ground floor in this Super League plot starting in January 2016 were Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Chelsea, Arsenal, Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester City, Liverpool and Milan.

It is claimed they “went behind the backs of UEFA and other clubs to work on the option of leaving their national leagues and associations.”

There are even emails in the hacked Football Leaks information dump warning “we need to be very careful moving forward and avoid at all costs the perception of a cartel.”

That was eventually used as part of negotiations with UEFA for the bigger clubs to get a larger cut of revenue from the Champions League.

However, the Super League idea has not gone away, with claims an email was sent only days ago with a draft 13-page ‘binding term sheet’ of 11 European clubs.

The plan would be to effectively eliminate the Champions League by 2021.

Along with the 11 founding clubs, who would not be at risk of relegation and guaranteed a place in it for 20 years, another five clubs would be invited for a 16-team league.

The five ‘initial guests’ would be Inter and Roma from Serie A, Atletico Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Olympique Marseille.

“The document even lists the ownership stakes held by the individual clubs in the joint European Super League company, with Real Madrid holding 18.77 percent, Barcelona 17.61 percent, Manchester United 12.58 percent and Bayern Munich 8.29 percent.

There is no mention of UEFA in the entire draft contract.”
Old 11-02-2018, 07:06 PM

that superleague thing just stinks. i mean Man-U this year being a top team? what a joke

anti-competitive at its core, and don't get me started why the likes of Arsenal and Inter should be invited, based on performance of the past 5 years...
Old 11-03-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
that superleague thing just stinks. i mean Man-U this year being a top team? what a joke

anti-competitive at its core, and don't get me started why the likes of Arsenal and Inter should be invited, based on performance of the past 5 years...
Another article about the super league - how did I miss this (huge news).
Anti-competitive - yup - no relegation for the founders.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nal-to-opt-out
Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM

Wenger to Milan?

"Reports in France state Arsene Wenger is very close to agreeing a deal to become the new Milan Coach.

The veteran tactician has been without a club since leaving Arsenal at the end of last season, having spent 22 years with the Gunners.

In a recent interview he revealed that he expects to return to work in early 2019, and he’s been linked with Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Fenerbahce and the Chinese national team.

According to France Football though, he has in fact been in negotiations with Milan for several weeks.

Negotiations are said to be close to conclusion, with Wenger ready to replace Gennaro Gattuso as Rossoneri Coach.

The Frenchman would also have a larger role than the traditional Serie A Coach, as he’d work with Leonardo on transfers.

While he wouldn’t quite be the English-style manager he was at Arsenal, he’d be given a greater input that Ringhio.

Elliott Management owners Paul and Gordon Singer are known to be Arsenal fans, and France Football states that some sources are even reporting a done deal".
Old 11-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Group of death just got tighter. Soccer is a funny game - Liverpool just got beat 2-0. Red Star had a pretty aggressive keeper.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc1934 View Post
Group of death just got tighter. Soccer is a funny game - Liverpool just got beat 2-0. Red Star had a pretty aggressive keeper.
Any one of the three teams may get knocked out. That group is fun to watch but so unfair. The you have the group with Schalke...

Was watching the Juve ManU game. CR7 decided to celebrate by baring midriffs... classless tool
Old 11-08-2018, 07:37 PM

sree-nil

how you like me now?

sree-nil. sree-nil. you know what that means? It means we beat'em sree times in Turin, also the score line when we last beat'em

Show me some respek, Chiellini, respek, man

------------------------

okay, enough of my horrible attempt at comedy. I don't like Man U, but I get a smirk anytime someone beats a team playing home games at Arroganz stadium/arena
Old 11-09-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
how you like me now?

sree-nil. sree-nil. you know what that means? It means we beat'em sree times in Turin, also the score line when we last beat'em

Show me some respek, Chiellini, respek, man

------------------------

okay, enough of my horrible attempt at comedy. I don't like Man U, but I get a smirk anytime someone beats a team playing home games at Arroganz stadium/arena
except (for me), when it is Jose. I couldnt decide who I wanted to lose more - Jose or CR7. They need to reunite so I can place all my contempt at one team.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:30 PM

petrol dollars v Jose tomorrow. not sure whom i dislike more

what a match over in Germany. Bayern had two goals ruled offside, and BVB rode its luck a bit, but a few quality goals there. Definitely two hours well spent watching that
Old 11-11-2018, 02:17 PM

And Barça got schooled at home. Rather uncharacteristic. Them again, the top of the La Liga table is so unexpected. That other club from Barcelona is actually within a few points of Barça. Remarkable. All the while Real is just teetering
Old 11-13-2018, 10:32 AM

Interesting articles about history of badges - some pretty cool ones!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nged-ages.html

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featu...re-truly-awful
Old 11-17-2018, 11:01 AM

thanks for sharing that

--------------------------------

This Uefa nations league actually turns out to be more entertaining than expected. FRA v NED; NED v GER; GER v FRA. All sorts of quality matches, not to mention the games amongst ENG, CRO, and ESP.

and what a resurgent De Oranje, capped off by this insouciant chip by Depay. Koeman would have (rightfully) given Depay an earful had the latter missed. Instead, we get this.