Builder's Spotlight The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM

MXXXXXO Mesonperso

Here’s my story with this one.

I’ve wanted a Peg for a Long Time. I looked for years (seriously) for a Marcelo in a 50 cm used in total futility. There were a few new 50’s left NOS in the Conn Rust but it’s the one Peg scheme that I didn’t want. Plus I didn’t want to shell out 4 large for a new one.

Justin (Huck this) put up his Baka in 50cm and I was salivating. Not only a used one, but in a scheme I dug.

I immediately put my Moots PX Disc up for sale. A bike that I had literally just built and had significant money (to me) into. I was in contact with Justin while I was trying to sell my Moots but it wasn’t happening fast enough. My Moots was a small size that only a tiny percentage of people would fit, and it was a lot of money to boot. Having shelled out the bucks for the Moots build, I couldn’t make the Marcelo happen without selling the Moots 1st.

Finally, after months of trying to sell my Moots it happened. I took it in the shorts and lost big money on a bike I built 6 months earlier but the desire for Justin's Marcelo was weighing me down and I sold it.
I immediately got ahold of Justin only to find out he had sold his Marcelo the day before. Ugh.

Now I’ve sold my Moots, have bucks for a frame but no frame available. So I started calling around.
I found out through biKyle that there indeed was a 50cm on a container from Italy but somebody had laid claim to it. It was my LBS; Lakeside bikes. So over to Lakeside I went and dropped all I had to reserve the one 50cm on that container, and waited. Finally it showed up and I had my Peg. Some 4+ years in the making.

Problem was I had no money to build it; but I did have it. That was nearly a year ago and finally after saving and buying parts its done.

I still need to make a few tweeks to the fit (saddle isn’t level and so on) but for all intensive purposes its built.

I’ll try to take better pics as the light was dusking but here it is; obligatory garage shot.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 PM

That's a beaut. Hope it rides as good as it looks. And hope it was worth the wait!!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:31 PM

Hola crappers, I didn't even realize that paint scheme existed - and now I have a new instant favorite!

Your determination is admirable. And your build is spectacular.

Good reminder that I need to swing by Lakeside myself sometime soon - feel like it's been years since I've been in there...

Looks like you got it together just in time for a gorgeous weekend to put some miles on. Chapeau!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
Hola crappers, I didn't even realize that paint scheme existed - and now I have a new instant favorite!

Your determination is admirable. And your build is spectacular.

Good reminder that I need to swing by Lakeside myself sometime soon - feel like it's been years since I've been in there...

Looks like you got it together just in time for a gorgeous weekend to put some miles on. Chapeau!
It's called "mesonperso" and means "I'm lost" in Italian. It's a new paint scheme for 2017.

For reference it's 50 cm frame with a whopping 66cm saddle height. Stem is a -17 in 110mm, and the saddle to bar drop is 5cm.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:23 PM

No money for parts.

Super Record Gruppo.

Love it.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rk540 View Post
No money for parts.

Super Record Gruppo.

Love it.
Not Super Record unfortunately. Its a Record group with Chorus bits thrown in to save some ducketts.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:39 AM

Ah, the rear derailleur seemed to have extra text. In any case, killer build!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 AM

radical bo badical
Old 05-10-2018, 09:58 AM

Wow! Well done Jimbo. Everything works out in the end. Glad you were able to find your unicorn and also the excellent spec.

Enjoy the miles brother!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:03 AM
needs adult supervision

Great story. Props to your commitment! Looks awesome. Hope you love it.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:56 AM

I like the bike.

I like the story.

I like that your drops are nearly level with the top of your tire.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I LOVE the bike.

I LOVE the story.

I LOVE that your drops are nearly level with the top of your tire.

There I fixed the above !!

Old 05-10-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I like the bike.

I like the story.

I like that your drops are nearly level with the top of your tire.

You forgot to "like" the stem angle and the top tube - perfecto!!!!
Old 05-13-2018, 08:00 PM

MXXXXXO Mesonperso

Congrats on a fine bicycle! I know you were searching forever and would love to hear your thoughts on the ride. I sold my Mxxxxxo a while ago to a forum member and replaced it with a Responsorium. The Mxxxxxo is one of those bikes that everyone should try. It is that good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopperny View Post
Congrats on a fine bicycle! I know you were searching forever and would love to hear your thoughts on the ride. I sold my Mxxxxxo a while ago to a forum member and replaced it with a Responsorium. The Mxxxxxo is one of those bikes that everyone should try. It is that good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welp.
I’ve ridden a few Pegs over the years but they have been friends’ bikes and never set up for me. I’m also new to Bora Wheels and so much of how a bike rides is wheels. So this is subjective on my part and mostly I’m comparing it to my SpeedVagen, 20th Annivsersary Strong and my Hampsten SB. The Marcelo I rode in the past was very stiff, that stood out in my memory but somehow I didn’t feel mine to be overly stiff or harsh.

I spent 50 miles on it over the weekend on rolling terrain, so I’ve no climbs or descents to report on.

I obviously need much more time getting to know it over summer months. My initial reactions are:

• Incredibly smooth riding bike. Totally was not expecting that given the size of the rear triangle on such a small frame. It rolls like buttah.
• It likes to be under torque; it’s not a lollygagger. It wants to roll fast.
• It’s got nice manners and takes rider input nicely without having to push too hard on the bars. It feels like I’m on a veteran thoroughbred that’s done a ton of races and stays calm, doesn’t get rattled under pressure.
• It’s heavier than I thought it would be? My SV feels lighter even though it has hand built wheels. It’s about in-between my Strong and Hampsten in weight.
• It feels like the “balance” of the bike lends itself to the backend. This could be because of the size (tube diameter) of the rear triangle, or that my position is very forward on this bike. Or, a combo of both.
• My fit is a little off, so I need to remedy that.
• Overall it feels like a finely crafted Italian Steel bicycle. An absolute pleasure to ride. I dig it. But then give me a competent steel bike, hang Campy on it, and I’m pretty happy anyway so there’s that.
I’ll take better pics out in the sun next weekend.

Thanks all for the kind words,
Cheers!

Last edited by Jimbo251; 05-14-2018 at 05:43 PM.