Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2019, 07:20 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Question

Curious how this potentially impacts chain clearance over the chainstay, too?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Kinda, sorta..I'll bet 12s are cross compatible like 11s. At least with one manufacturer, a new freehub body wasn't needed for 12s...And no doubt shimano will (finally) get into the 12s road gig.

Remember tho, patent doesn't equal production. Shimano famously patented a 14s cogset and chain, what, 15 years ago?
I changed some lines in the original post to reflect that all of these are filed patents, not granted ones. And you are absolutely correct that even a granted patent might not end up in production. I think it’s safe to say that Campy is probably thinking about 1x drivetrains, though. They might not go into that space, of course.

Last edited by weiwentg; 11-12-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
it sucks that at one point we could share cassettes btw all systems and now with 12 speed it is all going to crap
Everything I've read so far says that SRAM and Campy 12 cog spacing is nearly the same - closer than 11 speed.

I've also read of an ESP 12 user testing a SRAM 12 wheel on his bike, with a Campy chain - no problem. I've used the new AXS chain on my Campy 12 bike with no problem. To be safe, I am switching back and forth with Campy chains too, so I don't have a cassette worn-in to just one chain type.

Campy wheels can be converted to use an XDR driver, so SRAM or Campy 12 cassettes can be used.

Last edited by Dave; 11-12-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Kinda, sorta..I'll bet 12s are cross compatible like 11s. At least with one manufacturer, a new freehub body wasn't needed for 12s...And no doubt shimano will (finally) get into the 12s road gig.
The new freehub body wasn't required for 12spd, it was required to fit 10 tooth sprockets. To fit 10 tooth sprockets, SRAM developed their XD body for road/gravel/MTB, and Shimano developed their Microspline body for MTB. So far Campagnolo hasn't gone below 11 tooth sprockets, so they can continue to use their 9/10/11spd freehub - but if they want to go to 10 tooth sprockets, they'll have to develop a new freehub as well (such as the one of the patents mentioned).

For those who like to mix-and-match drivetrains, hopefully all 3 will use similar spacing for 12spd. Unless any of them decides to change axle lengths/flange spacing/chain lines, then they'll have to squeeze the 12 sprockets into the same space, so there is little wiggle room to use different sprocket spacing.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Captain Obvious here, but 11 speed is "compatible" across brands because there's a limited amount of space to fit 11 cogs. There are differences in spacing, but they're so small as to not matter in practice. I wouldn't expect that to change with 12 cogs in the back.

EDIT: Mark McM said pretty much the same thing - should have read the whole thread.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Everything I've read so far says that SRAM and Campy 12 cog spacing is nearly the same - closer than 11 speed.

I've also read of an ESP 12 user testing a SRAM 12 wheel on his bike, with a Campy chain - no problem. I've used the new AXS chain on my Campy 12 bike with no problem. To be safe, I am switching back and forth with Campy chains too, so I don't have a cassette worn-in to just one chain type.

Campy wheels can be converted to use an XDR driver, so SRAM or Campy 12 cassettes can be used.
Tough to do research on my phone but don’t think Campagnolo makes a Xd driver for their wheels or hubs. Shimano and sram 11s but not 12s sram...AFAIK.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Tough to do research on my phone but don’t think Campagnolo makes a Xd driver for their wheels or hubs. Shimano and sram 11s but not 12s sram...AFAIK.
Fulcrum makes it.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
There is an XD driver shown in the Campagnolo 2020 spare parts catalog.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Fulcrum makes it.
Ah..and Fulcrum is Campagnolo, so....
Old 11-12-2019, 01:52 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
There is an XD driver shown in the Campagnolo 2020 spare parts catalog.
Yup, gonna check that next...too hard on phone.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
There's really no way to fit a 10 tooth sprocket onto a Campagnolo freehub without a substantial redesign.
There are a number of Moulton models with Campagnolo drive trains (i.e., that use Campagnolo derailleurs and shifters) that use special Moulton 10-32 cassettes on a Moulton custom rear hubs. (For example: http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/mod...UBLEPYLON.html)

Any idea how that's possible?
Old 11-12-2019, 02:24 PM

If it's anything like Moulton's other small sprocket cassettes, the freehub is narrower than standard (only 10 of 11 sprockets fit onto the splines) and the smallest sprocket screws onto the 2nd smallest sprocket.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 PM

This link to info from SRAM lists a large number of hub brands, compatible with XD and XDR, including Campy and fulcrum. You can also download drawings and their licensing agreement.

https://www.sram.com/en/service/arti...body-explained

https://www.xddriverbody.com/apply.php
Old 11-12-2019, 04:04 PM

A tangential thought is that we know that smaller cogs (and chainrings and pulley wheels) mean more drivetrain friction. 10t cogs are pretty small. I wonder why manufacturers aren't sticking with 11t or 12t small cogs and just making bigger chainrings. Is it a frame clearance issue?
Old 11-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiwentg View Post
A tangential thought is that we know that smaller cogs (and chainrings and pulley wheels) mean more drivetrain friction. 10t cogs are pretty small. I wonder why manufacturers aren't sticking with 11t or 12t small cogs and just making bigger chainrings. Is it a frame clearance issue?
In the case of Moulton, the issue is small wheels. The AM Moulton, with 17" wheels, originally had a 9-tooth small sprocket. With a 39-53 crank and the Capreo cassette (with its 9-tooth small sprocket) a 17" wheel bike has a top gear of around 100".