Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 12:03 AM

OT: CBD oil for pain management

Hi paceliners,

I recently broke my leg and am recovering from surgery on my hip and tibia. I am in a ton of pain. I transitioned from morphine to Norco to Percocet because the Norco did not feel effective. The Percocet is slightly more effective but it’s still a crazy opioid with Hollywood level side effects (addiction) and more pressing side effects (extreme constipation). I’m not into the opioids and they are not going to be part of any long term pain management program anyway.

I live in L.A. and have the option to try cannabis products for pain relief. I don’t partake in general and I’m new to this scene. My nurse mentioned that she has patients with chronic long term pain issues that don’t even try to deal with opioids and prefer CBD or THC products.

I am skipping a dose of Percocet tonight (it’s an as-needed prescription) and subbing CBD oil. It seems to be about as marginally effective as the opioid so i am going to try this for a few periods and see how it goes.

Obviously I’m interested to know more about this approach but the internet has too many rabbit-holes. Even though it’s off topic, I wanted to see if any paceliners have experience with this since we have a shared/similar lifestyle.

I am interested to hear anything anyone is interested in sharing. If I am not impressed with the oil, am I not taking enough? Can I take too much? What’s good or bad about this approach? There’s a lot I don’t know. Tell me what I don’t know.

Thanks for your input!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:05 AM

I managed to duplicate this thread. The oil must be working?

Mods please delete. Apologies.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:39 AM

Never used CBD oil before but I imagine that if morphine didn't work then CBD oil def won't work...
Old 11-11-2019, 02:23 AM
aka RAEKWON

I took percaset when I broke my ankle. I hated it but it did the job. I tapered off quick and as soon as I could, started taking half doses and over the counter pain relievers and eventually discontinued both). I have taken cbd many times and for extreme pain relief it does nothing to me. The pain from the broken ankle was so severe, specially after surgery that cbd would have done absolutely nothing. Maybe if it was a hybrid thc and cbd, I think that is a lot more effective. Cbd affects people differently. Some of it relax me but I have some full spectrum drops here that make my heart race so I have not used that one. The other one is great and so is the damn cream, works well for me.

Its worth a try for you... I dont know how people get addicted to percs.... I felt aweful on those things and wanted out quick... they made me feel aweful and yes, they make you not poop for days.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:26 AM

Zmalo, The morphine was just in the hospital when I was stabilizing from the surgery. Maybe that was TMI. For my surgery, the anesthesiologists gave me something that was so effective that I only remember counting backwards from 10, then waking up 9hours later trying to figure out what layers I needed to wear that morning for my morning ride. Rude awakening!

I got the most consecutive sleep so far last night with the CBD oil (3 hours) but woke up with pain that the oil couldn’t effectively eliminate. The pain is the worst at night when the only thing going on is thinking about pain. Just took a dose of Percocet. I have a feeling that I can do the oil 75% of the time and just have one Percocet a day. Not perfect, but there is also the chance that my leg will actually heal moving forward and I can transition into that deluxe Tylenol soon.

Raekwon, it sounds like I hit the cbd jackpot and found something that works right off the bat. The lack of consistency in the weird world of delivered cannabis products is really not my jam. I will make note of what I got. I may also try something with thc in it as well moving forward.

I’ll keep following this. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:51 AM

I went through a series of surgeries and deal with chronic pain. I was on a form of Opiate based pain killers for over 2 years until I switched to cannabis. Some CBD products are snake oil while others work. I would suggest using a THC based oil to really get relief. The two work in conjunction with each other to relieve pain and help you rest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJWS View Post
Zmalo, The morphine was just in the hospital when I was stabilizing from the surgery. Maybe that was TMI. For my surgery, the anesthesiologists gave me something that was so effective that I only remember counting backwards from 10, then waking up 9hours later trying to figure out what layers I needed to wear that morning for my morning ride. Rude awakening!

I got the most consecutive sleep so far last night with the CBD oil (3 hours) but woke up with pain that the oil couldn’t effectively eliminate. The pain is the worst at night when the only thing going on is thinking about pain. Just took a dose of Percocet. I have a feeling that I can do the oil 75% of the time and just have one Percocet a day. Not perfect, but there is also the chance that my leg will actually heal moving forward and I can transition into that deluxe Tylenol soon.

Raekwon, it sounds like I hit the cbd jackpot and found something that works right off the bat. The lack of consistency in the weird world of delivered cannabis products is really not my jam. I will make note of what I got. I may also try something with thc in it as well moving forward.

I’ll keep following this. Thanks for your input!
What dose of CBD are you taking that you find effective?

As for adding THC, I would suggest this as well. Due to the "entourage effect," even very small amounts of THC (i.e. sub-psychoactive, such as 1.5-2mg) have been found to significantly enhance the effects of CBD.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:58 AM

I'll agree with the others. There are a lot of CBD:THC combo options out there. Visit a dispensary. They will be able to suggest a product. It doesn't take much THC to boost the CBD benefits, so you won't get stoned or loopy...unless you want to. Some are for sleep, some are for getting through the day, etc. All are non-addictive and better for you than any form of opiate. Good luck on the recovery!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:08 AM
bourbon!

At one point in the past I was trying to figure out dosing of CBD and/or THC to help control seizures. We ultimately ended up trying both Charlotte's Web and Haleigh's Hope. We spent a lot of time speaking with the companies directly and they were extremely helpful in working through all the variables. They also looked at the full med regimen and took all that into account.

I'd speak directly to the companies and go from there.

I know seizures and pain are different, but those 2 companies have patients dealing with all kinds of stuff, so I'd start there.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Sorry to hear you're in such discomfort. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:54 PM

Made it through most of the day with the oil, broke down at 2 and had a Percocet. In theory, I’ve been able to drop from 6 doses A day to 2 doses a day. On the first day. Not too bad. The pain relief is not picture perfect. I think it’s closer to what the doctors intend for me which is to have a present pain to work through. Not to be on cloud 9. Honestly, wouldn’t say no to cloud 9 but I don’t think that’s on offer. When I can get out of the house, I think I will try to go to a dispensary and make a more informed selection as opposed to just ordering something that was available for delivery.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM

My sister, who suffers from seizure issues, has had success with full spectrum CBD.

This an interesting thread - real people sharing their experiences with pain and CBD. It also highlights a problem.

Because of the Federal prohibition on cannabis, CBD medical research has been highly restricted by DEA. Of course, Big Pharma fully supports this position since they want to market opioids. Don't get me started.

This dam needs to broken so that real and extensive research can be conducted so we know where CBD can provide a benefit.

That will also improve the formulation and quality of the products.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:32 PM

if by oil you mean "rub on skin"

then i can't offer anything--I don't find they work. My doctors offered Mobic, Volteran, and Tramadol and Percocet as needed for neck and back pain for years. I was able to stop using any of those regularly by switching to CBD tincture (under the tongue) or capsules. I wasted $ on several brands before finding ones that worked.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM

I am using a tincture. .25ml every 2-3 hours.

The comment about the fda and pharma industry is becoming relevant. 30 Percocet can be had for an $8 copay. The oil is 5 times that.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 PM

On a related tangent, recent research is showing that using ketamine and fentanyl together allows for lower dosing that either agent used alone.

Just one of many studies (this one is morphine and ketamine) https://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.or...icleid=1943230

Here is an article discussing CBD and Ketamine for chronic pain: https://www.psychiatrictimes.com/psy...nd-cannabidiol

So to answer your question, 1) pain management needs to be discussed with your doctor. 2) there are ways to treat pain using combinations of agents to more effective pain control with less.

Good luck!

Seriously, you really shouldn't try to self medicate. Find a pain management doctor, call the surgery group, there will be someone who has experience with patients like you. You aren't the first and won't be the last who wants to take lower opioid doses. Ask. The research is out there, and it is making it into practice today.

Last edited by Dekonick; 11-11-2019 at 08:11 PM.