Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
Not sure what kind of e-bike you are talking about but when talking about the pedal assist variety you are dead wrong to think you are different or somehow better than someone on an e-bike. I use an e-bike to commute to work most days because I have to get to work as quickly as possible to be on time. I work just as hard as I do as if I were on a standard bike but instead of going 20-21 I am able to hit 28. And yes the 15 minutes I save does matter. I get a good work out in, I am one less car and I am the same cyclist facing the same risks and getting the same exercise as I do on a regular bike.

I think it’s safe to assume you have never even ridden an e-bike or you would have never made this post.
Hmmmm.... I've had a chance to play on a friends E-mountain bike. On it as I ease off my physical effort the bike actually increases speed. It's a weird sensation from my limited experience on that it's not match what you are saying. Just thought I'd chime in with my POV.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Hmmmm.... I've had a chance to play on a friends E-mountain bike. On it as I ease off my physical effort the bike actually increases speed. It's a weird sensation from my limited experience on that it's not match what you are saying. Just thought I'd chime in with my POV.
That's because you're at 20mph or whatever the cutoff is. You're actually not going faster, it just feels that way. It happens when I'm on my Xtracycle. I will have my kids on the back and I'll be pedaling my @ss off and I'll look down and see that the pedal assist is off since I'm over 20 mph (slight downhill), and as soon as I ease off, the pedal assist will kick on and it'll be just under 20 mph, but it feels like I'm going much faster.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinconryder View Post
Bottom line: I don’t know how old you are but I guarantee if you love cycling one day you will be on an e-bike whether it is to keep up with your kids or make that climb that you love and now no longer can make. Until then try to avoid riding two wide.
You might be right. I hope that day doesn't come for a very long, long time. Because something will have been lost for me. Not just the physical capabilities, but the mental release that comes through physical exertion. The sheer joy of movement.

Another poster mentioned that we might be at a "tipping point" with ebikes. I think that's probably true. Maybe ten years from now, the "photos from your rides" thread will be fifty percent ebikes. Or more.* Is that a good thing? Bad thing? Progress?

The ebiker I saw on one of my rides was probably a harbinger of things to come. It might be the new norm. I'm only familiar with them from the streets of San Francisco (similar to pdmtong) where they can be a real menace.

My partner is Israeli, and she said that country has enacted a whole raft of legislation because of the high rate of accidents involving ebikers (and scooters):

https://www.calcalistech.com/ctech/a...746973,00.html

That legislation will probably be coming here soon, if it hasn't happened already.

*in the event that ebikes make all of our steeds antiquated and borderline useless, dibs on Clean39s "old school manually operated" Ti/Carbon Firefly
Old 11-11-2019, 10:17 AM

For me, Class 2 e-bike (electric assist up to 20mph) is a bike, no question. I rode a high end one, and all you feel is going faster (up to the limit) for any pedaling effort. Class 3 (assist up to 28mph), seems to fall between a bike and a moped. Those beyond class 3 I would not consider bicycles.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:39 AM

Car tries to kill cyclists.

Cyclists spend time arguing what class of ebike one of cyclists used to determine which of the group were actual cyclists said car tried to kill.

We eat our own.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Car tries to kill cyclists.

Cyclists spend time arguing what class of ebike one of cyclists used to determine which of the group were actual cyclists said car tried to kill.

We eat our own.
There was nothing in my post about a car trying to kill us. I wasn't privy to the driver's mindset. I merely wondered where a bike capable of going 30-35 MPH fit in to any preconceived notion of a "cycling tribe." I still don't know the answer. It may evolve over time.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:52 AM

If we get to exclude e-bikers from “we” on 11% climbs, I’d like to officially stake my ground and exclude anyone less than 175 lbs on a mechanical bike too. 120 lbs. flyweights do NOT get to celebrate the summit— not legit.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:05 PM

When will “othering” become a professional sport?
Old 11-11-2019, 12:09 PM

my favorite slogan

seen on T-shirt a while ago:

EVERYONE

( not an SAT word )
Old 11-11-2019, 12:14 PM

More elitism and gatekeeping?

Shocked!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:18 PM

micro

Tribalism
Old 11-11-2019, 12:19 PM

what is this incredible need for humans to be in a group, and one that needs to exclude others? can we not evolve more?

im "me", add anymore and its a "we".
Old 11-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post

Shortly thereafter, a car came too close to comfort to both myself and my buddies. At the crest of the hill, the ebiker (who was looking on his phone) commented on the car, which I guess had buzzed him as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
There was nothing in my post about a car trying to kill us. I wasn't privy to the driver's mindset. I merely wondered where a bike capable of going 30-35 MPH fit in to any preconceived notion of a "cycling tribe." I still don't know the answer. It may evolve over time.
Wut?

This whole thread is like a trip through Crazytown.
Old 11-11-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoman View Post
That's because you're at 20mph or whatever the cutoff is. You're actually not going faster, it just feels that way. It happens when I'm on my Xtracycle. I will have my kids on the back and I'll be pedaling my @ss off and I'll look down and see that the pedal assist is off since I'm over 20 mph (slight downhill), and as soon as I ease off, the pedal assist will kick on and it'll be just under 20 mph, but it feels like I'm going much faster.
Maybe, I'd be curious to see some power numbers or other ways to measure exertion for someone on an E-bike vs a ..dare I say it...real bike.

Not that I really have a dog in this fight cause I don't care. I am curious though. We do all these things to make our life "easier" but what does it do for our fitness? Are we, as a society, already on a decline physically? But we I mean Americans. We see all the time about how our obesity "population" is growing. Do things like E-bikes help battle that or help encourage it in reality? I know I could argue it either way but I wonder what the impact from E-bikes will truly be on this in years to come? Food for thought....
Old 11-11-2019, 12:49 PM
'97 Ti Legend

My ride buddy and I had a guy on a high end e-mountain bike who was visiting Central PA ask if he could join us out on the trails a few weeks back. We had a nice 8-10 miles on a moderately technical ride together, mostly climbing. When we turned back we sent him out on an additional 15-20 loop. We talked about why he likes the bike, to see more of an area he is riding, and to help climb so he can get more downhill runs. He seemed on the way to a 40 mile day, I rarely get in more than 20 on a MTB these days. He offered to let us ride it, but I declined.

I have no problem with them, seems like a fun way to spend a day, and if I were riding with younger and faster friends who I was holding back on climbs, it could let you keep up and do more laps/trails without anyone having to wait for you. Maybe if the prices come way down it would be a fun option, but I'd always keep my traditional MTBs.