Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
Funny how "we" cyclists self segregate into different tiers with varying degrees of legit-ness.

Also funny how getting passed by a car can toss all that out the window and instantly everyone feels the same vulnerability
This is the total and complete gist of the matter. There are cyclists and there are drivers—why complicate any further?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man View Post
dudes on choppers still wave at dudes on R6s.. two completely different riding experiences and lifestyles, but both are on two wheels and vulnerable road users facing similar risks out there. both riders standing around drinking beers bitching about "cagers" at the bar will say "we"

gotta change your mindset. expand your sphere of acceptance some my dawg
"Expand your sphere of acceptance" is so apropos when it comes to cycling. The clique nature that creeps into our recreational activity has always been a downer IMO.

Your post reminded me of how many waves and thumbs up I got from motorcyclists while riding my bicycle.

CSB: a few years ago I was flying on a steep downhill when a large group of motorcyclist in rows of twos came up behind me. Two leaders passed but a slow car turning left way up ahead made the rest stay behind me. So I had two ahead, one beside me and the rest behind and we rode like that for quite a ways.

The loud sound of the pipes, my legs pedaling like crazy but holding position as they puttered, it was surreal.

The car eventually turned and the rider next to me joked that I should join. I laughed and pointed to the uphill approaching and gave a thumbs down. He laughed, they filtered around me with waves and thumbs up.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:54 PM

The ebiker was clearly on two wheels. And yet he hadn't worked nearly as hard as we

maybe it was your choice of words or tone, but this did sound "holier than thou" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
This is true. I've never ridden an ebike. I'm also completely unaccustomed to seeing them on my daily rides. There is nothing derogatory about the cyclist in my post. Af far my wondering about the "we" part of it, I think it's a perfectly valid conversation to have.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:42 PM
v a n i l l a

Perhaps the OP can list out the rider attributes or the types of bikes he would find acceptable to be included in his self-defined world of "we"
Old 11-10-2019, 05:49 PM

How does the saying go?

In this case the enemy (e-cyclist) of my enemy (angry, aggressive motorist) is my friend. Case closed.

Leave in peace. Save the awkward silence for another time.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
Perhaps the OP can list out the rider attributes or the types of bikes he would find acceptable to be included in his self-defined world of "we"
Sure thing. Dark sense of humor. Really into history. Athletic. Likes long walks on the beach. Oh, wait a minute! This is the Paceline, not my Biking Personals Site.
My bad
Old 11-10-2019, 06:44 PM

It can get worse.

This past summer I was riding with a group including my son and some of his friends and acquaintances. The age range was about 35-50. Except for me with 15 years on the oldest. Multiple full squish high end carbon bikes, one ebike and me on my ti hardtail. The ebike rider had been riding about a year.

After he’d ridden away on a steep hill he stopped at the top to warn me about the big rock on the left of the singletrack that he had hung a pedal on the last two rides, crashing both times. It was the most simple and obvious obstacle that required only a slight pause for pedal timing. After thirty plus years of MTB riding I didn’t need the warning, but he thought I did, ‘cause he had just ridden off and left me on the big climb. Later on he offered me a ride on his ebike. I tried it out, it made riding up hills into nothing.

I have to admit to being a bit miffed at his suggestions. But I smiled and thanked him anyway. He didn’t know any better but meant well. Hell, maybe I do need an ebike. For now though, I’ll pedal for myself.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:54 PM
v a n i l l a

Quote:
Sure thing. Dark sense of humor. Really into history. Athletic. Likes long walks on the beach. Oh, wait a minute! This is the Paceline, not my Biking Personals Site.

My bad

Good one.

I saw plenty of e-road and e-mtb today.

Try one. Ideal for a lot of use cases.

The only e-bike aspect that makes me crazy is when used for commuting by the unskilled. These things give speed to people who are unpredictable and that makes it really dangerous for the rest of us non-motorized. Cannot tell you how many times I got surprised last year commuting in the city.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:32 PM

I mean, “we” climbing a hill? No. We getting buzzed by a car? Ok. I can see the we here as “we vulnerable forms of traffic”.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:54 PM

This is a sad read. You need to come and ride in Marin where most people dont care what you ride or drive. Just be polite and inclusive would be my advice. Seems like you guys are fighting everyone on the road (cars and ebikes) that arent your bros.

MCBC and most folks I know here are happy more people are on the bikes regardless of the bike and that our local bike shops have found another revenue stream.

I have had plenty of conversations with guys on ebikes which usually begin with a "good morning" or "how you liking that bike" or "is that the new Specialized FS ebike" and ends with a tip of the hat of mutual respect, "you are guys are doing all the work", "its doesnt matter as long as you are outside".

Just be inclusive.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:59 PM

When it's cars trying to kill us, we're all on the same team. Save the internecene fighting for later.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
This is a sad read. You need to come and ride in Marin where most people dont care what you ride or drive. Just be polite and inclusive would be my advice. Seems like you guys are fighting everyone on the road (cars and ebikes) that arent your bros.

MCBC and most folks I know here are happy more people are on the bikes regardless of the bike and that our local bike shops have found another revenue stream.

I have had plenty of conversations with guys on ebikes which usually begin with a "good morning" or "how you liking that bike" or "is that the new Specialized FS ebike" and ends with a tip of the hat of mutual respect, "you are guys are doing all the work", "its doesnt matter as long as you are outside".

Just be inclusive.
There was nothing impolite about my post. In no way was I insulting or derogatory. I was merely contemplating how the definition of "cyclist" was shifting. But you often fail to fully inculcate things ...
Old 11-10-2019, 08:09 PM

I know a few skateboarders, they do not like the electric skateboarders.

Quote:
Went out for a little ride today with a few buddies. Cresting a local gnarly hill (11% continual grade) when we got passed by an ebiker. We were grinding up the hill and he passed us like he wasn't even trying. He wasn't rude, he was just having a completely different experience than the rest of us.

Shortly thereafter, a car came too close to comfort to both myself and my buddies. At the crest of the hill, the ebiker (who was looking on his phone) commented on the car, which I guess had buzzed him as well.

"They don't know how we feel about them," he said.

No one really knew how to answer that. It caught me off guard. We all kind of nodded and grunted in assent. It was a tad awkward. The ebiker said something briefly and rode off.

I have nothing against ebikes. (although the fact that Ed Begley Jr is now a big advocate means they're ripe for parody). But I do wonder how they will expand - or limit - the definition of "cyclist" and all that it entails.

The ebiker was clearly on two wheels. And yet he hadn't worked nearly as hard as we did to crest that hill. Was the word "we" warranted?

I frankly have no idea. But it seems to me that this issue will become more and more prominent.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
There was nothing impolite about my post. In no way was I insulting or derogatory. I was merely contemplating how the definition of "cyclist" was shifting. But you often fail to fully inculcate things ...
ebikers are us. IMO. That is what I am trying to inculcate err more correctly be inclusive.

Last edited by joosttx; 11-10-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
The ebiker was clearly on two wheels. And yet he hadn't worked nearly as hard as we did to crest that hill. Was the word "we" warranted?
I don't think the difficulty of riding up the hill should merit the inclusion. If it's that then the people doing it on a hybrid deserve more credit versus peeps on expensive road bikes. And someone 50 pounds overweight deserves more credit than the athletic group ride. Someone on commuter tires is working harder too, so is someone not on Dura Ace or Record I guess. 2 wheels, crappy cars, it's a "we." I am very cool with e-bikes just not for me yet.
Closed Thread