Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-2018, 05:32 PM

In praise of my new bike (warning: e-bike content)

This was delivered to me just after the New Year. We then had some rough weather in Atlanta, but I have now been riding for about three weeks and have 250 miles to show for it.

I pretty much haven’t driven my car since end of January. I use this to ride 4 miles to the train station, take the bike on the train, then ride another two miles to my final destination. Then repeat it on the way back. I have even been finding myself getting off the train a couple stops early so I can ride extra. On the way back home, I turn the pedal assist all the way down so I get a decent workout. All in my regular work clothes.

My wife has one too, and we have essentially stopped driving if it is less than five miles. Trips to friends’ houses, restaurants, grocery store, etc. Between the two bikes, we can carry a week’s worth of groceries. A six pack fits in my carrier too I told her that if/when my car dies (190,000 miles and counting), I wouldn’t be opposed to becoming a one-car family.

Another pleasant side effect has been that riding this for commuting has motivated me to ride more for fitness as well (I was going through a rough patch for a while).

I know these can stir up some emotions, but I highly recommend giving one a try, especially if you live in a hilly area.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
This was delivered to me just after the New Year. We then had some rough weather in Atlanta, but I have now been riding for about three weeks and have 250 miles to show for it.

I pretty much haven’t driven my car since end of January. I use this to ride 4 miles to the train station, take the bike on the train, then ride another two miles to my final destination. Then repeat it on the way back. I have even been finding myself getting off the train a couple stops early so I can ride extra. On the way back home, I turn the pedal assist all the way down so I get a decent workout. All in my regular work clothes.

My wife has one too, and we have essentially stopped driving if it is less than five miles. Trips to friends’ houses, restaurants, grocery store, etc. Between the two bikes, we can carry a week’s worth of groceries. A six pack fits in my carrier too I told her that if/when my car dies (190,000 miles and counting), I wouldn’t be opposed to becoming a one-car family.

Another pleasant side effect has been that riding this for commuting has motivated me to ride more for fitness as well (I was going through a rough patch for a while).

I know these can stir up some emotions, but I highly recommend giving one a try, especially if you live in a hilly area.
Happy your happy. Anything that gets you out there on two wheels in an environmentally-friendly way is all gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Two wheels good, four wheels bad. Etc.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:40 PM

I'm a fan. I already see how it gets some folks out riding who wouldn't normally be out. Makes life easier in hilly areas also. Don't see it taking the place of my regular bikes (for me), but I am thinking about getting one for wife who has bad knees. We could ride together then.

My only complaint is I don't like to see these 50-55 lb machines going fast on the MUT's. It's going to force local authorities to ban them from trails.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:48 PM

I think it's a great option. I work 4.5 mi from home and ride when I can, but even at that distance the absence of shower facilities leave me too sweaty and sticky to be comfortable or presentable at meetings.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:54 PM
DELETE ACCNT

This is so great to hear. Encouraging that it is sparking the desire to get more fit too.
I really believe ebikes are the key to getting people on bikes in the US.

I have a ebike, and it's really useful for local jobs that just seem wasteful to do with a car.
For example, filling a propane tank for my grill at the local station. So easy to portage heavy or bulky things with it.
I even towed a spare bike and parts to my local shop to have them sell it.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:56 PM

I think the way you are using an e-bike is perfect. It gets 1 more car off the road and you do not arrive at work all sweaty and gross.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:14 PM

Awesome, I think your scenario is the exact reason FOR e-bikes. It just gives you the extra ooomph to lead a life less devoted to cars. Nice.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
Awesome, I think your scenario is the exact reason FOR e-bikes. It just gives you the extra ooomph to lead a life less devoted to cars. Nice.
Absolutely!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:11 AM

After a back injury a few years ago, I keep re-injuring my back if I ride hills. So each year I ride about a month or two then in the course of going farther (can't ride much more than 20 miles here without a climb) hurt my back on a climb and never get over the fitness hump.

I have been thinking that an ebike might just do the trick to get me over the hills I'd run into on a 2-3 hour ride. And just maybe I'd get fit enough not to hurt myself.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:46 AM

I did it for about a year straight, using my wife's car when she rode in sometimes or when I was sick. The main issue was when temps dipped below 15 degrees I would worry about my dogs getting too cold (they're sitting with me). I'm working on a fully enclosed rig for my cargo bike. I'm glad this is becoming more mainstream.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:01 AM

I just test rode one last weekend and can definitely see the appeal. I'm considering purchasing for a 36 mile daily commute that I'd do for at least 9 months of the year. Ideally I'd also like to become a one car family. My non cyclist wife isn't quite as enthusiastic!!
Old 02-21-2018, 08:04 AM
Administrator

The Legend e-bike looks pretty nice...

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showp...&postcount=164

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Legend E.jpg (133.9 KB, 451 views)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:05 AM

Cool that you're finding new cases for riding with your family and hopping off the train early.

Enjoy!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:55 AM

Outstanding post. A friend has been riding an e-bike for a little over a year to put off knee replacement as long as possible. It's easy for her to stay with the group on hills now. Great way for her to ride with frinds .
BTW, love that Legend e-bike! I want one, (someday).
Old 02-21-2018, 10:55 AM

Everyone I know who's ridden an e-bike (myself included) has come away impressed with the experience. It's great to see the market gain traction and to see how people are finding reasons to get on board. It's by no means for everyone but that's okay, it was never meant to be.