Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:43 PM
Back At It!

For the PNW Folks

Ok, so as my family and I get closer to the move up North (still have about two years), I wanted to query the audience..

We are considering a few different areas, one we've lived in, but I wasn't really riding at that time of my life..

For the following areas, I'd love to hear your thoughts on general riding, weather (I know it will be wet, but how wet and what do you usually wear for riding), and general cycling support (shops, etc). The areas we are considering, in no particular order are:

1. Salem/Independence/Monmouth, OR (maybe Corvallis area as well)
2. Canby/Oregon City, OR
3. Vancouver/Battle Ground, WA (somewhat close to each other)
4. Olympia, WA
5. Tacoma (big maybe on this one)
6. Kitsap County, WA (Bremerton, Silverdale, Port Orchard) we lived here 2018-2021, but I wasn't really riding so..

So what are your experiences?

Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

You know my thoughts, I vote for Oregon. HUGE no to Tacoma that is for certain!
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM

Corvallis has some of the best out the door riding of anywhere I've lived. Tons of MTB trails and gravel for days within a few miles from town. I rarely did any road riding there except Marys Peak, and even then you can ride gravel roads pretty much to the top. Very bike friendly in town too for commuting.

Corvallis IMO has probably the most riding options of the places you mentioned above. Yes, further from Portland area riding but closer to the coast, Alsea Falls, Oakridge, and the Mac Dunn and Marys Peak are in your backyard. Nice, but somewhat sleepy collegtown if that's your thing.

And yes pretty wet and gray for probably half the year. I rode a lot of MTB during the winter at night with headlights. Gravel you just layer up and accept that you will be damp but the woods are really quite nice in the winter. Like I wrote above, not sure my idea of fun is to be out on a road ride much in the winter getting spray blasted by cars.

Ultimately I don't think the gray winter is for me so not sure I'd move back there but was glad to try it out for a few years. Good luck!

Last edited by lorenbike; Yesterday at 09:06 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

Look at Bellingham. A massive bike scene.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

I lived in Poulsbo 87-92, 96-00, and 07-12. I saw a lot of changes in those years. Silverdale had a single blinking yellow light in 87. I enjoyed the riding, I could go in any direction and find good routes. One of my favorite routes was to ride across the Hood Canal Bridge and do the "ports" loop. I could ride from my house to Bainbridge and catch a ferry to ride the Seattle waterfront. I could ride out towards Seabeck and take some roads to end up in Shelton. You know what you're getting with the weather, build up a rain bike with long mudflaps.
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb266 View Post
Look at Bellingham. A massive bike scene.

I'm originally from the ham but live in Seattle now. Bellingham is mostly about MTB, there are some roadies around but not like King county. They are close enough together that you can double dip and get the best of both worlds though.

The biggest issue with Bellingham is lack of corporate and good paying jobs. A lot of people with remote jobs moved there over the pandemic and there is some tension culturally about that regarding housing prices etc. I'm not sure I could ever get myself to move back there, but I like visiting my friends and family and hitting the trails.

For MTB the Seattle area has Tiger, Olallie, Raging River, and lift service at Stevens Pass and Snoqualmie pass. Not to mention 20+ road teams, lots of clubs, and a great bike shop scene.

Last edited by vertr; Yesterday at 10:00 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM
Back At It!

FWIW- probably not going north of Seattle and not going to Seattle based on price.. the areas I listed were listed specifically for cost of living (as much as I can tell).. I will need to buy a house and I don't want to have to have a 30yr mortgage, I want to pay it off within 15yrs.. which cancels out Portland, Seattle and surrounding area, and certainly Bainbridge and most of Poulsbo..

I would like to hear more of what folks wear when they ride in the wet as I wasn't really riding when I was up there.. I have a nice Shower's Pass jacket and pants set, but they seemed aimed more at commuting.. and yes, fenders will be a must I think, on at least one bike..
** I should add that I'm not talking about riding in a downpour, but the general "spitting" wet day..

Last edited by fourflys; Yesterday at 10:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM

I’ve been in the Vancouver Battle Ground area for 5 years.
Riding from home is mostly state and national forest gravel or mountain bike but road is doable if you’re creative with routes.
The MTBing that’s close ranges from rowdy XC, flow, technical chunk and full on DH jump lines. Lots of climbing as well if that’s your thing. There are also a few bike packing routes that run through here including the dark divide 300.

You’re right it can be wet from November through June but IMO we get enough dry it’s usually not bad for riding. The MTB trails run well in the rain as well.

Bike shops on this side of the river are really lacking but there is one shop that supports the big team in Vancouver called Dialed Cycling Lab. They’re solid guys and the club does a lot of racing and rides. In PDX there is a ton, I really like BiketiresDirect and Universal Cycles. For MTB fat tire farm is great.
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I am OC close to Canby since 2011.

Wet wise, I'd say it is much different from when we got here. After 2016 the continual wet for 5 months is no more. We still get 4-5 rainy days in a row, you could ride 1/2 of them without getting too wet.

I have had 300 mile January bike month, cold... yep. But blue skis 1/2 the days some years Jan.

Here is a google maps screen cap with biking layer showing the digs.

And a link local bike club should be informative. Hit the ride calendar, peruse que sheets.
Also hot mapmyride and do some searches. 07045 is O_City
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 20-44-12 Portland · Oregon.jpg (132.4 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by robt57; Yesterday at 10:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM

40deg raining days will require: top is thick base layer>thick long-sleeve jersey>water/windproof jacket(thin gore or the like not a shower's pass user)>waterproof "winter" gloves>soft shell cap under helmet that covers ears, bottom layer consists of winter full length bibs with fleece backing and windproof materials and neoprene booties with thin wool socks. Full disclosure, I have yet to find bottoms that work well enough to keep my legs from turning magenta at the end of a 30-mile ride.

PDX has all the bitchin'est shops, our two favorite, Lakeside Bicycles, River City Bikes.

Last edited by edgerat; Yesterday at 10:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
And yes pretty wet and gray for probably half the year.
Wife and I agree 1/3, but 1/2 of that ride-able IMO. It almost never really pours. This area has like 3 avg thunderstorm days/yr I've read. But drizzle drizzle, yep.
Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM

portland is also, on the average, 5 or more degrees warmer.
Old Today, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbike View Post
Corvallis has some of the best out the door riding of anywhere I've lived. Tons of MTB trails and gravel for days within a few miles from town. I rarely did any road riding there except Marys Peak, and even then you can ride gravel roads pretty much to the top. Very bike friendly in town too for commuting.

Corvallis IMO has probably the most riding options of the places you mentioned above. Yes, further from Portland area riding but closer to the coast, Alsea Falls, Oakridge, and the Mac Dunn and Marys Peak are in your backyard…….
Corvallis is a great area to ride, any type of riding pretty muck right outside your door. If you want a flat ride head out on to the valley floor. Climbing? Head up into the coast range and climb Mary’s Peak, Alsea Falls etc… head North or South for rolling terrain like Decker loop, Lewisburg Saddle, or Kings Valley. As mentioned lots of good mtb’ing as well.

Only 45 minutes to the coast, 90 miles to Pdx, maybe 30 miles to Salem, and Eugene isn’t too far away either.

Hard to beat for variety of quality riding.

W.

Last edited by William; Today at 12:07 AM.