Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2019, 12:59 PM

Just because the KMC missing link didn't break doesnt mean it didnt contribute to the chain breaking...at least theoretically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Interesting and terrifying at the same time.

One thing for sure, the kmc missing link standed w/o any problems. Time to go campagnolo chains with KMC link?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:10 PM

Here is a better shot of the broken link. My guess is I may have damaged it when I first tried to break the chain with the Park tool. I recall it took a lot of force so I backed off, re-centered the pin and was then able to break the chain. It just may have taken months of riding before it finally gave way.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg link.jpg (92.9 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by mcteague; 11-14-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Understood. Still, the Campy tool is $150-200! For a rarely used tool that is too much for me.
I know the Park Master chain tool is said to work with Campy 11, I'm not sure about 12 though. but I guess if Campy didn't update their official tool when they released 12 speed, it should.

personally if I were considering getting the Campy chain tool, I'd get the Abbey one instead: https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...ade-chain-tool

but same deal there: not cheap.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post
I know the Park Master chain tool is said to work with Campy 11, I'm not sure about 12 though. but I guess if Campy didn't update their official tool when they released 12 speed, it should.

personally if I were considering getting the Campy chain tool, I'd get the Abbey one instead: https://www.abbeybiketools.com/colle...ade-chain-tool

The Park CT-4.3 professes to work with Campy 12. When the pin broke it appeared to be basic, pot metal. I know they have replacement pins but I lost confidence in it and returned the tool.

https://www.parktool.com/product/mas...category=Chain

Tim
Old 11-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
That’s what I used, Campy R12 chain and KMC 12s link.

Tim
Considering that where the inner link broke seems right at the KMC link plate..can't help but think wear/rubbing/interference with the link caused this.
Any chain noise, intermittent clicking before this happened?
Old 11-15-2019, 08:14 AM

Jenson has a 4 pack of sram eagle 12 speed links for $13. They have the best fit for the campy 12 chain. The cheap park ct-3.3 will work fine to remove excess links. If the joining pin is never used, just remove the links from the end with the virgin outer plates.

Last edited by Dave; 11-15-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Thinking back on the original install; I used the new Park CT-4.3 chain tool with 12s peening feature. When I used it the tool pin broke when peening the Campy pin. I suspect I may have caused some damage to the hole in the connecting chain part as that is where it broke. I gave up on trying to peen the thing and bought the KMC link...
Reassuring. This seems to explain the failure (at least if I read this right).
Old 11-15-2019, 08:37 AM

No Body Damage

Quote:
While climbing a hill, and not pushing all that hard, my bike suddenly veered left but managed to stay up. Looked down to see the chain trailing behind me. At first I figured it broke at the KMC 12s quick link but it seems to be right behind the link. Any ideas on how I may have caused this or is it just one of those things? The fact that the quick link was involved makes me wonder if I should stick with peening.

Tim
I was always told that the weakest get dropped on the climbs, so the hill culled the herd from the bike!

But seriously, glad you're ok. If you were standing and/or were going up a 15% grade that could have ended badly.

As far as the expensive tool, dang, if you only had one bike with Campy it would be a push to fork over that much for a tool you would rarely use. That tool sounds like a pool, better to know someone who has one than to own one
Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiasticon View Post

With the little wound up wire gizmo on the Campag that holds the link flat when you push in the pin and then peen, is essential, IMHO..PLUS the Campag tool is about the same $ as the abbey tool..abbey tool is nice, but I've had 10 and 11s(now 12s) Campag tools and they are really sweet...
Old 11-15-2019, 09:01 AM

And the campagnolo chain failed?? scary... IMO you cant blame kmc for the problem, well could be a manufacturing issue with that link. The other detail is that many guys are using the campy chain with the kmc link w/o any problem.

KMC chain combo from now on?

Quote:
That’s what I used, Campy R12 chain and KMC 12s link.

Tim
Old 11-15-2019, 09:05 AM

But at the same time, campagnolo stamps zillions of those, and if the OP got lucky he might have gotten the 1 in a million link that is not right... other people use the same combination too... so who knows, a weird accident?

Good think he did well, because that accident could have finish really bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulp View Post
Just because the KMC missing link didn't break doesnt mean it didnt contribute to the chain breaking...at least theoretically.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone for chiming in. As I mentioned I think the fault lies with me. When I first tried to break the new R12 chain, to remove the extra links, the Park pin started to bend a bit. It looked centered with the chain pin but I backed it off and tried again and was able to push the pin out. When I tried to install the special peening pin the Park tool broke. My guess is that when I first tried to break the chain the tool was not perfectly centered and may have caused the underlying damage that took months of riding before it finally gave way.

For now, I removed one link and re-used the KMC link (I know, single use) and rode again today. I still think I should get a new Chorus chain and have it properly peened.

Tim
Old 11-15-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah, well, for a tool I only will use once every year or two the Campy tool just costs too much. So, either I find a shop that speaks Campagnolo (especially 12s) and have them peen it or keep using the link.

Tim
Campy tools are nice, and nice often comes with a higher price tag. I've always used a Pedros Tutto chain tool for 11s campy, its around $50-60 +/-. Breaks the chain, peens the new pin, and Pedros says works for 12s too.