Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-2019, 10:50 PM

Owned a dozen Waterfords including a made-to-measure SR 33. Spoke to Richard many times during this build as well as the other bikes, one of which a fabled W13. He, Richard, and his staff are top notch. You can spend more but the advantages of doing so diminish at redshift velocities. Buy a Waterford.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
Owned a dozen Waterfords including a made-to-measure SR 33. Spoke to Richard many times during this build as well as the other bikes, one of which a fabled W13. He, Richard, and his staff are top notch. You can spend more but the advantages of doing so diminish at redshift velocities. Buy a Waterford.
Agree...."advantages of doing so diminish at redshift velocities'....gotta remember that one.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
20 years ago I visited Waterford and got a one-one tour with Richard himself. It was all very impressive. I had a standard RS-11 (Road Sport made with their less expensive tube set than their 22 series tubes) that I like a lot. I asked Richard if I should have him measure me for a custom built with 22 tubes. His answer was he could save me a few ounces but it would ride very much like my RS-11 so he didn't think I should bother unless I really wanted to pay a bike like the one I loved in his current catalog. It was black with polished stainless lugs and one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. He and his company are straight shooters and builders. :-)
Old 11-14-2019, 04:38 PM

Love my Waterford(s) ...

Waterford is the real deal, making some beautiful bikes. My 89' Waterford Paramount was my first real nice bike and as a point of reference, I had them spread the rear triangle and repaint candy apple red. They did remarkable job and in fact had the same builder do the work as built it originally. Easily one of the most gorgeous looking paint jobs and has held up extremely well.

I also have an RS-22 that is one that Dave Wages built during his time at Waterford. Absolutely lovely 853 bike, that rides great. I have considered another Waterford many times and spoken with Richard Schwinn (he is the dude that answers the phone often) and he was as approachable and patient in discussing options.

It seems their focus is not posting glam shots all over Instagram and elsewhere, but you can find examples if you look for some remarkable stuff (SS Lugs, sculpted lugs, fancy paint).

Here is my RS-22 in an older build up ...

Warren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8735.JPG (104.7 KB, 167 views)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb View Post
20 years ago I visited Waterford and got a one-one tour with Richard himself. It was all very impressive. I had a standard RS-11 (Road Sport made with their less expensive tube set than their 22 series tubes) that I like a lot. I asked Richard if I should have him measure me for a custom built with 22 tubes. His answer was he could save me a few ounces but it would ride very much like my RS-11 so he didn't think I should bother unless I really wanted to pay a bike like the one I loved in his current catalog. It was black with polished stainless lugs and one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen. He and his company are straight shooters and builders. :-)
I never saw this thread before and just read the whole thing. You said the exact same thin in post #7 last year. At least we know you're not embellishing the story.

I sent Gunnar an email about ordering direct and was shocked when Richard Schwinn call me to discuss options. Pretty cool.

I ended up with a 66cm Gunnar Sport and love it.

Last edited by Kobe; 11-15-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:46 AM
Administrator

I have admired a number of waterfords over the years, and i would love to own one someday.

i do own a gunnar and it's one of the best bikes i've ridden.

i think waterford makes one of the nicest riding steel forks out there.
Old 11-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe View Post
I never saw this thread before and just read the whole thing. You said the exact same thin in post #7 last year. At least we know you're not embellishing the story.

I sent Gunnar an email about ordering direct and was shocked when Richard Schwinn call me to discuss options. Pretty cool.

I ended up with a 66cm Gunnar Sport and love it.
To quote Judge Judy: If you tell the truth you don't have to have a good memory.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:35 PM

A while back I went by Waterford to drop off a Gunnar mtb frame which needed some seat tube work. I had brought another bike along to go ride at kettle Moraine which isn't far from Waterford. I didn't have an appointment and apologized for dropping off a frame unannounced. I was expecting to pick it up at a later date and had no rush.

Richard came up, told us stories about the Chicago days, gave us a tour of the company and sodas and had someone work on the frame right away. After he finished he went and got the frame for me. That was an interesting day.