Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2019, 04:13 PM
ZhugeLiang

Singapore Trip - Jan 23- Feb 8

Just finished my shakedown ride a while ago at a local park...it was 4:30 AM.
I guess still trying to get over the jet lag.

Flew in to Singapore last night. Total flight time: 16 hrs 48 mins. It's 16 hours longer than I like. But you know what, I think it was the "best" of the 1/2 a dozen times I have flown to Asia so far. We flew United. All the flights were on time. We were a bit worried at first that the 1-hr transit time to catch our connecting flight in SF might be cutting it a bit too close. In the end it was no problem at all, in fact the flight from Austin to SF was ahead of schedule by almost 15 minutes, that gave us some extra breathing room. The flight from SF to SIN was not full at all, was able to take up an entire row and lie down to sleep. I think that makes a big difference. Really got no complaints with the United services, the flight experience was overall pleasant and without any incidence. Yeah, there was a crying baby or toddler close to where we sit but hey, we have gone through the same thing ourselves with 6 kids so we understand perfectly what every parent has to go through especially with these super long flights. Please be kind and compassionate towards the parents with young children, don't make their job any harder than it already is. I had quite an enjoyable chat with one of the fathers. They were on route to the Philippines to see the wife's side of the family. They had two kids, a girl and a younger boy and the family hasn't seen the boy. And then on their way back, they are flying to Canada to see his side of the family and they too haven't seen the new addition to the family. Wow, they are gonna be doing quite a bit traveling in the next few weeks that's for sure.

Joosttx pal, I did wave at you as we flew past, I think, was your area.

The S&S Coupled Spectrum performed splendidly.

Was amazed at how quickly the stuff that I threw in there add up to the 50 pounds weight limit. Ended up ditching the wheels and left them at home and just borrowed a pair here locally from one of our forum pals - tttsmm. Thank you Thomas!

This is the fourth time I have flown with a coupled bike and left my wheels at home. Twice to D2R2 and borrowed BumbleBeeDave's wheels and once to Oakland, where I bought the rear wheel and borrowed the front wheel from Elefantino pal. It's nice to shave off a bit of the weight but more importantly the bulk and makes packing A LOT easier.

I like to zip-tie everything together in a bundle so that if the TSA pal were to take it out, it's easy to just place it back down and everything fits just as it should, no shoving and pushing or damaging any of my stuff.

Will be here for the next three weeks, looking forward to posting more pictures and ride reports as we go.

Last edited by weisan; 01-24-2019 at 04:26 PM.