Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2024, 11:33 AM

I know it's August, but...........

Hey gang:

Looking for opinions on winter cycling shoes vs. booties/shoe covers. I have two very early season events next year and need long road miles this winter (trainer really doesn't cut it). Temps here around Albany, NY in winter typically 25 degrees - 40 degrees, and sloppy.

Prior years I've always gone road shoes with wool socks and shoe covers or booties. This year, however, I'm contemplating winter shoes, such as the Like CX series with possible light shoe covers. Given it's August, winter shoe prices are relatively cheap, so I'm shopping.

Any opinions would be appreciated. And to be clear, I'm not talking commuting. 5-6 hour rides will be on the schedule.

TY, GP
Old 08-14-2024, 11:38 AM
Everything is connected

Northwave makes a great series of Winter shoes; I have one pair that I've been using for well over 10 years. Shoe covers work for some, but I think that they create clammy conditions...ymmv.

https://www.northwave.com/en/blog/wh...hoes-to-choose

Last edited by rwsaunders; 08-14-2024 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2024, 11:50 AM

I am happy using insulated covers in this region in those temperatures. I'm sure dedicated boots would be fine as well though. One benefit to covers is that you can take them off and wash them, and they are cost effective enough that you can have a couple of pairs in the rotation.

As I said in the recent winter clothing thread, good fenders are the key to riding in these conditions comfortably. I'd consider those a lot more important than minor differences in clothing choices as they keep a lot of the wet spray off your feet and body.
Old 08-14-2024, 11:52 AM

I have Mavic winter cycling shoes (bought here in classifieds). For me a night and day difference from shoe covers, with the shoes I'm much more comfortable for a longer time. I ride down to 26-28F as long as it is sunny.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:20 PM

I've never worn a pair, but I've always heard good things about fizik's Tempo Arctica (road, SPD-SL) and Terra Arctica (off road, SPD) shoes (borderline boots, GTX).

I've pondered a pair, but never pulled the trigger. Both are Goretex, whatever your view on that may be. If I bought a pair I'd probably go with the Arctica/SPD.

They also make Nanuq GTX flat (flat pedals, probably not what you want), and Nanuq GTX
(SPD).

Last edited by reuben; 08-14-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:29 PM

I bought dedicated winter shoes (Shimano SH-MW702) last year and realized I should have done so 25 years ago. They are so much more comfortable and effective than covers. I like wearing them with a thin wicking layer and a thin to midweight wool sock, depending on the temperature. I've found that moisture management is key for me and the two sock system works well for my sample size of one. I recently read some folks use spray-on antiperspirant to help manage sweaty feet, and am planning on trying that this winter.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:37 PM

Proper winter shoes are an incredible game changer. Being able to wear summer socks when its below freezing, knowing your feet will be warm and dry is incredible. Best paired with full fenders for maximum comfort.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:42 PM

If you buy winter shoes or boots make sure they are loose fitting with 2 pairs of socks., so i buy them 1 1/2- 2 sizes bigger.
Old 08-14-2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfCas View Post
If you buy winter shoes or boots make sure they are loose fitting with 2 pairs of socks., so i buy them 1 1/2- 2 sizes bigger.
If they're well built, why would you need two pairs of socks? Wouldn't that make things worse re chafing/blisters?
Old 08-14-2024, 12:57 PM

I use 2 pairs of socks when i ride in extreme cold weather. No chafing or blisters.
Old 08-14-2024, 01:07 PM

My body and feet generally run warm, but I've never had to wear more than a summer sock in my winter shoes, even down to well below freezing.
Old 08-14-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GParkes View Post
Hey gang:

Looking for opinions on winter cycling shoes vs. booties/shoe covers. I have two very early season events next year and need long road miles this winter (trainer really doesn't cut it). Temps here around Albany, NY in winter typically 25 degrees - 40 degrees, and sloppy.

Prior years I've always gone road shoes with wool socks and shoe covers or booties. This year, however, I'm contemplating winter shoes, such as the Like CX series with possible light shoe covers. Given it's August, winter shoe prices are relatively cheap, so I'm shopping.

Any opinions would be appreciated. And to be clear, I'm not talking commuting. 5-6 hour rides will be on the schedule.

TY, GP
Booties for me. With wool socks I’m fine. I have electrically heated socks too, but, if it’s cold enough to reakly need them, I’m usually indoors.
Old 08-14-2024, 02:28 PM

Yes, winter shoes are a game changer. I use shoe/booties for 35 and up, winter shoes for anything under 35.
Old 08-14-2024, 03:03 PM

Year round commuter in the Boston area. Winter shoes are a necessity. I'm on my third pair. I quite like Shimanos MW7. Im a 43 in Sidi and the 44 in Shimano is big enough for extra space. Haven't tried Lakes because I'm concerned about water absorption. Add a boot drier and you can wear them every day.
Old 08-14-2024, 03:43 PM

Counterpoint

Winter road shoes are typically designed to protect against water (thus the many shoes with Gore-Tex membranes), but few have any meaningful insulation. There are some insulated cycling shoes, but these are primarily off-road shoes (with SPD compatible lugged soles). Everyone is different, but for me it is difficult to keep my feet warm in cold weather (below 40F), so insulation is key. I've tried a few models of waterproof "winter" road shoes sized one size up with an extra pair of socks, but without insulation in the shoes my feet get cold after an hour or so.

What I've found that really works to keep my feet warm are high-loft insulated booties - but not any booties. Most cycling booties have only a thin fleeced layer for insulation which I've found provide only minimal warmth. But Pearl Izumi and Gore make booties with quilted Prima-Loft insulation, kind of a like a quilted winter parka for your feet. With this type of bootie, my feet stay warm for hours even at freezing temperatures.