Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-14-2024, 08:48 AM

broken Campagnolo Shifter paddle

So today I took out my bike with Campagnolo Record 12 mechanical with hydraulic disk brakes.
This a bike I not really ridden much past two years, I was actually selling it tomorrow and took it today just to make sure its all adjusted well.
During the ride, I stared having difficulty shifting gears, both front and rear.
They felt locked and woukd not change. I kept working the levers until they responded a bit, but still did not shift prperly.
I got home and sprayed inside the levers with soem WD40, and that seem to clear up the right hand lever and started shifting better.
On the left lever though, I was pushing the shifter paddle, and it snapped off.

Do I have to replace the entire shifter. or is the paddle replaceable?
Old 09-14-2024, 02:03 PM

The Campagnolo Spare Parts catalog does not have a part number for just the left shift paddle. Instead, they sell shift assemblies, which are composed of the shift body and internal "guts", plus the shift paddle and button. The assembly is missing the brake lever, master cylinder, handlebar clamp&bolt, and rubber hood, but these can be re-used from your existing lever. The shift assembly isn't cheap, but they are cheaper than replacing the entire shift lever.. You can get a shift assembly for between $130 - $200, depending on where you shop. The part number for a Record 12spd left hand disc brake shift assembly is EC-DB103. Here are two sources, one in UK and one in the US:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/product...db102-ec-db103
https://www.ebay.com/itm/374219215009

On the other hand, it is possible to disassemble-reassemble these levers, so if you can find a "donor" lever, you can transplant the shift paddle to your lever. One final thought - it is likely that the shift paddle is compatible with other levers of the same generation of shifters (so-called "Gumby" levers, including 11spd levers, and other models of 12spd levers, and also 11&12spd rim brake levers), so that may widen your search for a "donor" lever. The shift paddles from Power Shift "Gumby" levers (such as Centaur or Potenza) also tend to be compatible with Ultra Shift levers (like Chorus/Record).

Last edited by Mark McM; 09-14-2024 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-14-2024, 02:44 PM

Campagnolo Shifters thumb button

Can't help on locating a replacement paddle, but the original issue is described as "They felt locked and would not change."

I've experienced something similar on older 9-10s shifters where the thumb button would stick and not move all the way up. When that happened the lever would not move. Manually pulling up the thumb button took care of it, at least temporarily.
Old 09-15-2024, 07:15 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Do I have to replace the entire shifter. or is the paddle replaceable?

I've not done a hydro lever tho..pretty sure it's the same but have to take the brake blade off...BUT pretty sure same shift blade as 11s, and also PowerShift. BUT, I'll check to see if I have a LH blade, pretty sure I do.

Yes, Mark, Campagnolo only sells shift lever assemblies but some of us(ME) buys these and takes them apart and uses the small parts to repair these shift levers..along with levers going back 20 years++.

PM sent

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 09-15-2024 at 07:22 AM.