Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-13-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
You mean about UFOs and time machines? Here's the whole scene that quote was taken from. Repo Man was a good movie.
Very good movie... and sound track!
Old 05-13-2021, 08:02 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
What other way was he supposed to fell the tree?
I wondered the same thing - going across the street could well have resulted in it hitting the house there.
Old 05-14-2021, 02:59 AM

https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/hummer...es-in-florida/

I know, I had you at Florida.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:02 AM

I also question whether the bags were resistant to the gasoline solvents and if they didn't start leaking soon after they were filled.

Gasoline does a number on my latex gloves in short order, I wouldn't be surprised if it eats through the bags.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:41 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
to be fair, if you drive a hummer, gas panic is real. lol
POY
Post Of Yesterday.

Funny(like funny strange) to see ALL those people rushing to buy a GBT, Great Big Truck. Auto makers love it cuz they make more money per on them. Not 'bad' mileage on these, BUT, might sting a bit when gas goes to $5 per or so.

The US driver has gotten lazy(what a surprise)...with 'cheap' gas. Gas in Europe is twice(+?) what it is in the US.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
POY
Post Of Yesterday.

Funny(like funny strange) to see ALL those people rushing to buy a GBT, Great Big Truck. Auto makers love it cuz they make more money per on them. Not 'bad' mileage on these, BUT, might sting a bit when gas goes to $5 per or so.

The US driver has gotten lazy(what a surprise)...with 'cheap' gas. Gas in Europe is twice(+?) what it is in the US.
Europe methods of travel are so culturally (historically narrow roads, tighter population areas) structurally (rails) and socially (rails are easy/popular) and economically different but yes we Americans have become woefully lazy.

But to me the most worrisome of all this is just how unbelievably selfish we as Americans have become. I’m up there in age and have lived through all kinds of shortages, oil embargoes. I’ve watched as decades of natural disasters hit our country. Maybe I’ve slipped into that period of life where the past is blurred by time but I don’t seem to remember when we were ever - as a country - this so self centered and selfish. People fighting over toilet paper, filling up plastic bags with gasoline.

I look at the bicycle and I see such a beautiful creation with endless possibilities of freedom, movement, adventure and joy. I sincerely believe the bicycle could help save the planet if we’d just give it a chance.

Then I see scenes play out like the ones these last few days and I wonder. It wouldn’t take much to tip us over to a Lord of the Flies.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post

I look at the bicycle and I see such a beautiful creation with endless possibilities of freedom, movement, adventure and joy. I sincerely believe the bicycle could help save the planet if we’d just give it a chance.
Amen
Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 AM

I think part of the issue is America's live in a land of consumerism, excess, accessibility, cheap. People cannot handle the idea of running out of something. It's also a every man for themselves mentality. We are doomed as a society.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Then I see scenes play out like the ones these last few days and I wonder. It wouldn’t take much to tip us over to a Lord of the Flies.
Yup...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg How-it-ends-netflix.jpg (14.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg road.jpg (28.6 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-14-2021, 07:27 AM
Randomhead

A lot of people decided to live in remote areas and have giant vehicles. They really need gas to keep all that going, I doubt a lot of them could afford to miss work because they couldn't drive, and they need massive quantities of gas to drive. Rush hour of traffic going to Penn State stretches halfway to Harrisburg (90 miles), and people are driving similar distances from every direction. I can't imagine all these giant lifted pickups that Ford, GM, and Dodge are selling them get much more than 20-30mpg, so they are burning a lot of gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrider View Post
Maybe these two are related? Link
I saw something like this, a young person had pulled down the middle of a two lane gas pump aisle and the hose didn't reach. So they drove around to the next lane and pulled into the middle of that aisle, so the hose didn't reach. Last I saw they were on the phone for instructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbcoupe View Post
I call shenanigans on this one. What other way was he supposed to fell the tree?
There is a whole genre of people felling trees on houses on youtube. They aren't doing it on purpose. Just too cheap to hire a pro. I know a pro would drop the tree in a way that wouldn't hit anything. My wife found a forester that is an artist at felling trees so they don't hit anything. There is also an entire youtube genre of pros felling a tree in a way that looks impossible.

Last edited by unterhausen; 05-14-2021 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
POY
Post Of Yesterday.

When they stimulate the economy with free money people will naturally gravitate to Great Big Things. But in all seriousness, Europe and US is not a good comparison. Lifestyle (do they need a car, how many people in the fam), property size (is there room for a car), road size, etc. is different over there. Also pretty sure price of gas correlates to amount of regulation.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAAD View Post
I think part of the issue is America's live in a land of consumerism, excess, accessibility, cheap. People cannot handle the idea of running out of something. It's also a every man for themselves mentality. We are doomed as a society.
As a nation, we're spoiled and entitled. Before the negative comments come out, I'm looking in the (figurative) mirror as I type this. I have a luxurious lifestyle compared to previous generations and I acknowledge that fact. I also grew up on a farm in the pre-internet era. Self-reliance wasn't something to aspire to, it was (and for many, still is) a way of life. I'm not sure if anything short of a world-changing event could bring this country back to its collective senses. If a global pandemic hasn't caused us to re-evaluate our lifestyles and priorities, nothing will.

Greg
Old 05-14-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregL View Post
As a nation, we're spoiled and entitled. Before the negative comments come out, I'm looking in the (figurative) mirror as I type this. I have a luxurious lifestyle compared to previous generations and I acknowledge that fact. I also grew up on a farm in the pre-internet era. Self-reliance wasn't something to aspire to, it was (and for many, still is) a way of life. I'm not sure if anything short of a world-changing event could bring this country back to its collective senses. If a global pandemic hasn't caused us to re-evaluate our lifestyles and priorities, nothing will.

Greg
Yes. 100% agree. I'm not living a simple life by any means nor am I a minimalist. But our friends walk into our place and act like we are minimalists. On the flip side, I go into their houses and they are packed to the gills with stuff with amazon boxes piled high.

The gas pumps here in SC were all sold out for the last couple of days. We both primarily work from home so no need for us to go fill up. We did see a tanker truck at a gas station last night in Greenville, so deliveries are being made again. So what's the next panic going to be about......
Old 05-14-2021, 10:09 AM

It's interesting there's been a lot of coverage of this cyber attack and a lot of prattle from various "experts" and now there's a lot of talk about new government regulations and certifications and requirements for companies to work with the government around security. Also talk about how the hackers need to be held responsible. I remember a few years ago hearing Michael Flynn talk (yes that guy) at a work conference and we were all scratching our heads wondering what he was high on because he made little sense. A lot of the experts on the news the last few days have sounded like that to me.

It sounds like a bunch of bollocks to me to borrow a british term.

I work on a computer security product and we already have tons of government certifications and programs we have to go through to sell to the military/government. I am already envisioning feature requirements coming down the pike that we have to implement from this.

None of this stuff is going to matter in the slightest, the word on the street so far is this gas company got hacked through their Microsoft Exchange server and it sounds like the company was extremely naive about computer security.

More government involvement is not going to solve this stuff unless the government starts forcing these companies to go through audits where some new wing of the NSA comes in and the government forces these companies to take security seriously. You're not going to accomplish much trying to "work" with this gas company when they're probably not doing anything right now and they're getting their whole system hacked & encrypted through Exchange. There's just more likely to be tons of low hanging fruit that a company like this should have dealt with but didn't either because they were naive or cheap.

Also there's no way they're holding Russian/Chinese/Iranian/N. Korean hackers accountable unless we're prepared to really escalate diplomatic situations or end up in a war. It's way easier to just start penalizing these companies and hit them with a stick instead of trying to enable them to continue to be lazy & cheap with security.

I know we're just talking about a run on gas but the cause is having some other fascinating ripples.

Last edited by benb; 05-14-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:15 AM

“We” got off relatively easy on this hack.
Imagine if the hackers had attacked the electric grid. No power = we’re screwed.